Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Woods / Scotti-Craft

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods / Scotti-Craft

A couple of weeks ago, a few of us were talking about Barry Woods on S & F. I think I first met him at Havasu in 1970, he was driving a Marathon tunnel powered by a pair of Mercury stackers. He got into some kind of accident and had to beach his boat. I don't remember what he drove in 1971, but in 1972 was running a Schulze powered by a single OMC.

I was wondering what had occurred that caused him to "switch" ….. who contacted who , when and why? One person responded that it may have started because Barry had bought all of the first year Scotti-Craft production and OMC had to go through him to get a boat! I had never heard that story before and was just wondering if anyone on this site could shed some light on this subject.

Name:  Woods - Havasu 1970.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  Barry Woods.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  23.0 KB

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron Hill will most likely know the answer to this.
    Dean Hobart
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry Woods AKA "King" Woods Got into Concrete Coring on the Ground Floor

My wife worked for TWA and was gone a couple of days a week. Barry would call me when she was gone. I explained my family's relations ship with the Strang's, Edgar Rose, Doc Jones and Jack Leek. My dad had DQ'd Jack at the 1952 Nationals in Oakland for a cut down gearcase. Ann Strang met me in 1954, when I was 10. She watched me close enough to tell my mom I had had 7 Blue Berry Popsicle. Ann Strang had watched me from when I started racing. I had won the 1967 Chicago to Milwaukee to Chicago Marathon for OMC. First major win for OMC in the modern ear.

I had won Havasu in the "T" Class in 1967 and Jimbo had won "S". My dad and I had recommended Jimbo to Jack Leek. Jack was out in California, making me test a DeSilva, and i told him I wanted to run my Glastron. We made a deal that weekend. Jimbo would drive the single engine Schultz tunnel and Freddy Hauenstein would drive the DeSilva.

Barry, must have been talking notes of our calls, as he would ask various parts again, I'm sure to figure if I was telling the truth.

Barry was always driven to win. First thing he did was "STEAL" the number 35. Barry found out that OPC was dropping the letter off the boats. I had T-35, S-35, SI-35, JJ-35. Losing 35 was no "BIG DEAL" to me as I was able to get 9. I had always been 19-C in kneel down boats.

I got Freddy a job at OMC and Barry started working and co-driving with Fred.

When we went to Europe, 1971, Barry raced a Scotti and I raced a Schultz. Barry might have been leading when he broke down...I remember passing him, he appeared to be wiping tears from his eyes. Billy Seebold and I were having a hell of a race, and Billy barrel rolled down at the Statue of Liberty turn. Then, I broke a crankshaft, I think I might have had a tear in my eyes, too! This was my 3rd Paris, without a win!

My wife had arranged to go to Spain and Portugal....Seems I had lined Barry up to go to Lake Como to meet Scotti. By the time that week was done, Barry and Billy had worn us all out competing with each other. Willabee's wife went home, and then we went to Berlin. Barry went to Como, by the weekend, in Berlin, Barry told me he'd bought every Scotti Craft, Scotti was going to make for 1972.

Where I think I came in on the Scotti deal, Sunday, after the Six Hours of Paris, Scotti went to Jack Leek and requested that I drive with him in Berlin. Scotti didn't speak English, but he like me. I introduced Scotti to Barry that night. Barry knew before, but not well.

Barry raced hard, was a great competitor. He and his wife made lots of money in the concrete coring business. He was great for boat racing.

Barry's Marathon with OMC power and the number 335, but trailer says 35....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

See..... I told you so!!!
    Dean Hobart
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    .....I got Freddy a job at OMC and Barry started working and co-driving with Fred.

When we went to Europe, 1971, Barry raced a Scotti and I raced a Schultz. Barry might have been leading when he broke down...I remember passing him, he appeared to be wiping tears from his eyes. Billy Seebold and I were having a hell of a race, and Billy barrel rolled down at the Statue of Liberty turn. Then, I broke a crankshaft, I think I might have had a tear in my eyes, too! This was my 3rd Paris, without a win!

My wife had arranged to go to Spain and Portugal....Seems I had lined Barry up to go to Lake Como to meet Scotti. By the time that week was done, Barry and Billy had worn us all out competing with each other. Willabee's wife went home, and then we went to Berlin. Barry went to Como, by the weekend, in Berlin, Barry told me he'd bought every Scotti Craft, Scotti was going to make for 1972.

Where I think I came in on the Scotti deal, Sunday, after the Six Hours of Paris, Scotti went to Jack Leek and requested that I drive with him in Berlin. Scotti didn't speak English, but he like me. I introduced Scotti to Barry that night. Barry knew before, but not well.

Barry raced hard, was a great competitor. He and his wife made lots of money in the concrete coring business. He was great for boat racing.
    Hi Ron, thanks for the response. As normally happens, answers to questions generally create more questions ……

..... You are saying there really wasn't any recruiting going on. You and Barry were talking and you and Fred were talking and out of those conversations came an agreement for Barry to co-drive with Fred. Was their first race together Parker in 72?
    Name:  Barry Woods - Parker.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  64.5 KB

I remember Scotti running his own boat at Paris in 71, I haven't found anything that says he was running them earlier. I remember that you, Nordskog and Sanders ran Molinari's and Jimbo ran a Goatboat at Paris in 1970. Do you recall when he started building boats?
    Name:  Scotti - Paris 1971.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  96.6 KB

That wonderful Spain/Portugal trip the four of us took was 1972. Both teams had cancelled attending the Berlin race. Merc also cancelled Berlin in 1971, I don't recall if you guys attended. You said the deal Barry made with Scotti was for the 1972 production. I don't remember Barry driving in Paris in 1971, but if he did, maybe that's when he made his trip to Como?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron Hill Was Called "Racing Ronnie" By Many

I did a lot of boat racing from 1956 til 1986. I always liked to talk. I raced Stocks first, then Stock and Alky, in 1966 OMC was starting a Team. Charlie and Jack were well aware of the Hill Family. My dad was the oldest Mercury Dealer on the west coast. He never had a retail store.

Charlie and Ann had watched me race at Nationals from 1959 til 1965. Charlie was Referee at the 1964 Nationals where I won D Runabout with a 55-H that Charlie designed and built while at Mercury. I also broke the C and D Runabout Kilo Records that week. Charlie knew we built our own engine, boats and props. And I drove them to wins, many in fact. 56 straight D Runabout wins.

By 1966, I was 22 with 10 year of racing experience. My dad had assisted Orlando Toraganti and Pep Hubbell in building motors (A and B) that beat Waldman's and Jack Leek's motors. Ann and Charlie sponsored Charlie.

Fred Sr. and Fred Jr. came to the 1967 Parker 9 Hour and slept in my motel room, as rooms were few and far between then. In 1968, I asked Fred to Co-Driver with me a Parker.

In talking to Barry on the phone, it was clear he wanted to win races and could put his money where his mouth was. I explained that ANN STRANG ran the show and that she was the one to keep on his side.

People would ask me why I drove for Evinrude, I always answered, "Ann Strang likes me."

Scotti's first boat was raced at the Miami 225, 1969. I blew it over at Havasu, 1971. OMC repaired it, but then scrapped it, as it had real design problems.

I got Freddy his job at Mercury at trophy presentation, after we won the 1978 Enduro. Gary asked me how long had I known Freddy? I said, " all my life." I said, "I got OMC to hire him." Gary asked if Fred would want to work for Mercury. I told Gary I'd go find out. If Fred shakes his head yes, you have a deal... I walked over to Fred and asked if he'd like to work at Mercury, if so shake your head, "YES".

Freddy always tells people I got him his job at Mercury, but I always remind him he's the one that kept it for 31-32 years.

Irony here, Fred and I have always been friends, but his brother Jimmy and I were "BUDDIES". We drank together, we chased women together, we raced together, we were friends for 53 years. Jim died, June 1st, 1997.

I don't know if I answered your questions or caused more!!!

I was to Co-Drive with Scotti in 1971 at Berlin. Ice in the boat in the morning. He broke a crank in the first hour, I headed for home. I think it was the same Scotti in your picture. Are you sure our Portugal/Spain trip wasn't 1971? Because if we weren't going to Berlin, I hauled out for home Monday morning...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-16-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted May and Barry...

I explained to Barry, that Ted May was loved by all and Ann Strang liked him, partly because I loved Ted so much. So, about 1970, Barry hired Ted full time and Ted lived with Barry and Margarite in Portland for about two years.

Backing up, to 1960, Jimbo started racing boats, but never won a race til 1962. Jimbo and I are the same age. When he finished High School I invited him to move in with us. The Needles Marathon was in September, I had won Overall the last two years.

I worked on Jimbo's boat, moved the motor back and up two inches, flatten the bottom and moved the gas tanks to the transom. He won the Marathon in BU, 1962, his first win.

I was the "Communicator" with OMC! Jack Leek asked me to go to Paris, 1968 and he asked, "WHO WOULD CO-DRIVE WITH ME?" I said, "TED MAY." Ted had driven OMC's Switzer Wing to the first day's lead at Havasu, 1966. Even though, I was the #one driver, 1968, It was decided that Ted should start the race...Ann told me that was her idea. In 1968, I was 24, Ted was 48 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    ….. Fred Sr. and Fred Jr. came to the 1967 Parker 9 Hour and slept in my motel room, as rooms were few and far between then. In 1968, I asked Fred to Co-Driver with me a Parker.

In talking to Barry on the phone, it was clear he wanted to win races and could put his money where his mouth was. I explained that ANN STRANG ran the show and that she was the one to keep on his side.

Scotti's first boat was raced at the Miami 225, 1969. I blew it over at Havasu, 1971. OMC repaired it, but then scrapped it, as it had real design problems.

Freddy always tells people I got him his job at Mercury, but I always remind him he's the one that kept it for 31-32 years.

I don't know if I answered your questions or caused more!!!

I was to Co-Drive with Scotti in 1971 at Berlin. Ice in the boat in the morning. He broke a crank in the first hour, I headed for home. I think it was the same Scotti in your picture. Are you sure our Portugal/Spain trip wasn't 1971? Because if we weren't going to Berlin, I hauled out for home Monday morning...

Well 'Racing Ronnie',

I'm not sure if you did either It appears that Barry decided to run OMC power after conversations with you and Fred. You must have convinced him there was opportunity for a Team ride if he showed some good results? Sounds like his first Team ride may have been Paris in 1971, co-driving a Scotti. Apparently impressed with the boat and having the financial wherewithal, he decided to try to tie up all of Scotti's 1972 production. He told you that he was successful in that endeavor.

As to when did Scotti start building his own boats, it appears to be 1970. He won the 1969 Miami 225 driving a Molinari. Jackie Wilson says he remembers Scotti testing on Lake Como leading up to the 1970 Paris race. I remember the Abbate's testing near the restaurant we normally had lunch, but don't recall a Scotti whizzing by. I remember you, Nordskog & Sanders ran Molinari's, Jimbo ran a new (superfast) Goatboat, Beard ran a pickle fork Cougar and McCune may have run a Schulze. I don't remember what Scotti ran or how his day went.

Lastly, I am positive the "trip" we took was after Paris 1972. That was the only year my wife Peggy attended and she remembers it well. We spent about three weeks in Italy, a week in France and were scheduled for a week in Berlin until Mercury cancelled it's participation. Lynne Seebold got a hold of us at the Hilton and said you, Woods and the Seebold's were going to drive to the Rock of Gibraltar and invited us to join. I think we flew to Madrid, rented two cars and drove to Seville. At that point we were done looking at the countryside and ready to go back to the States. You decided to drive on to the Rock, we grabbed a train to Lisbon and flew home. I know it was 72 because Renato entered a pickle fork in the race for the first time. There was a lot of prerace press coverage on the boat because of who he was and Mercury didn't want any motor problems with that entry. Turned out he did have a motor problem in the first hour, but we were able to fix it in the pits. He won and I got to be Mercury's 'Hero for a Day'.
    Likes Ron Hill, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1969 Miami 225

You are right, Scotti did win the 1969 225 in a Molinari. Jimbo led most of the race with his Leek/McDonald. 1970 Miami 225 Fred Hauenstein and I drove the black and yellow Molinari that Fred and I would later finish 2nd in the 1971 Parker Enduro.

We actually flew to Lisbon, Portugal....then Barry and Billy raced to Malaga....in rent cars. Barry and Billy were lucky I wasn't allowed to carry a gun....or they might both be gone today and I'd still be in jail....You are supposed to do your racing on the water!

Poster is from the 1972 Parker 9 Hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickle fork Molinari 1972 Paris .....

. ….. I know it was 72 because Renato entered a pickle fork in the race for the first time. There was a lot of prerace press coverage on the boat because of who he was and Mercury didn't want any motor problems with that entry. Turned out he did have a motor problem in the first hour, but we were able to fix it in the pits. He won and I got to be Mercury's 'Hero for a Day'.
    Peggy says you're correct, we flew into Lisbon. She remembers the boys driving like they were Mario Andretti & Emerson Fittipaldi !

I'm not good at pictures, but if I did it right, this is the 1972 pickle fork Molinari …..

Name:  paris 72.png
Views: 866
Size:  313.7 KB

Thread Information