Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vintage wooden hydroplane--from 1960's

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Vintage wooden hydroplane--from 1960's

This wooden hydroplane has been in a garage for about 50 years. Needs some work as the wood needs refinishing. Would anyone have an idea as to how much I should ask for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that it is a ‘home built boat’ and not a ‘factory built’ brand of boat of its era. It looks to be a ‘planked’ boat and not plywood. My guess would be more like the 1940’s or 1950’s.

I would have no clue as to its value. It does look to be in good shape however.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    My guess is that it is a ‘home built boat’ and not a ‘factory built’ brand of boat of its era. It looks to be a ‘planked’ boat and not plywood. My guess would be more like the 1940’s or 1950’s.

I would have no clue as to its value. It does look to be in good shape however.
    Thanks for the reply. It may have been a lot and one of our lake neighbors built it. I know my brother was driving it around the lake in the 50’s/60’s. Maybe someone will give me an idea on its worth!

Post Thanks / Like

Put a high reserve on it you would like to get and see where it goes on Ebay auction. What it is worth is what someone will pay, if it gets to the reserve it's gone and you are hopefully happy? I agree with Dean a home made rig with no popular name brand of the era. To me not a serious looking race boat from the era of single step hydro hulls.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks a lot like the steering wheel is a later addition. It's much newer than the hull and the box it is mounted on doesn't have the same level of craftsmanship as the rest of the boat. For that reason my guess is that this was added later so that it could be used as a pleasure boat. With the wheel mounted up high you can fit your legs under the dash and sit like in a normal boat. If you look at the area just below and behind the dash it looks like there very well could have been a plank going from just ahead of the cross beam and that would go up to the dash and that is where the original wheel was likely mounted and the driver could kneel there and bend over as in a typical kneel down boat.

My guess is that it was built in the late 40's or very early 50's and it very well could have been a real race boat at the time. It was likely retired to a lake fun boat status when it became uncompetitive in the mid 50's. If you had the whole history of the boat it would be worth a lot more. Set up like it is as a fun lake boat, it isn't worth much because it is so obsolete. If you had the history and outfitted it with a period steering wheel and throttle it might be worth something.

Thread Information