Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude V4 90HP help me understand this crazy problem please!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evinrude V4 90HP help me understand this crazy problem please!

My dad and gradfather bought this Glasstream new in 89. This month it acted up on his first day of fishing vacation and he had enough. Went out and bought a new boat and gave the old one to me.

Engine is a 1989 Evinrude v4 90hp "E90TLCEM"

Says he was running across the water pretty good and it just lost power. Will crank and idle and he limped it back to the dock.

Checking the timing at idle the light is showing me what would be between 40 and 50 degrees BTDC. Advancing the timing lever by hand does produce a change in timing (further advancing the reading)

Timing spec is: Full advance @ 5k rpm: 28 BTDC
    Idle: 4 BTDC

Compression:116-118 on all cylinders
    Nice blue spark from all coils

Timing base? Power pack? Stator? He says there was no prop strike or FOD that he is aware of so I do not think this a sheared woodruff key. The engine has to try very hard to crank over and this tells me that the timing reading is most likely correct as timing that high should make life hard for the starter.

I have searched every arrangement of words that I know how and I can not seem to find anyone with a similar problem. I would really like to get this thing back on the water. My grandfather's health is dwindling fast and I would love to take him out on the lake one more time.

Thank you in advance guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone?

Surely there is someone who has experienced timing be way out of whack? I can't find anything like this on the internet. Any advice at all is appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have verified that the crank to flywheel relationship has not changed. Woodruff key is not sheared. TDC marking on the Flywheel is in fact TDC on cylinder number 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, timing has NEVER been adjusted. My dad is not a mechanic and he bought this boat new. Nothing has been adjusted or tinkered with. It ran fine for 30 years and then one day, it wont run well and timing is 40 degrees at idle.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll likely get WAY better interaction with your fishing motor over on a site such as www.bassboatcentral.com or on iboats.net mechanics forum...

In any case, are you sure you are picking up timing from the #1 cylinder? Nothing electronic can advance the timing like that and I don't think your engine has the "Quick Start" feature that bumps up idle speed until it's warmed up. Try marking TDC of each cylinder on the flywheel and check that all four cylinders are approximately 90 degrees apart. You can use a pencil or pen in the sparkplug hole and rock the flywheel by hand to make a pretty accurate mark on the flywheel with a Sharpie marker. Write #1, #2, #3, and #4 by the respective marks so you can see them with the timing light and report back.

You can get really good information over the phone by contacting the Technical Support team at www.CDIElectronics.com about your ignition system as well.

Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so it still starts and idles?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe sensor magnet problem

Post Thanks / Like

Try finding TDC and then checking timing on another cylinder, You may have a crossfiring power pack. If the motor is at 40 + degrees (vs 28 max advance at WOT) It would be impossible to start!

Post Thanks / Like

I have verified TDC. Removed flywheel last night. Replaced the timer base and the power pack. No change.

Are you sure it would be impossible to start at 40 degrees? I’m starting to wonder if my timing light is bad. All of the sudden the key will not shut the boat down. Have to pull every plug wire.

Post Thanks / Like

It starts and idles very easily.

TDC for cylinder 1/ flywheel verified.

Key no longer shuts engine down.

Good hot spark jumps a gap at all 4 plugs.

I think I may go dunk this thing in the water. I’m so confused. Been working on engines almost 20 years. Never seen anything like this. I truly appreciate you guys taking time to comment.

I will most definitely remember to update this thread once the problem is resolved.

Thread Information