Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude V4 90HP help me understand this crazy problem please!

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys, I'm loaded up and headed to the river. The boat fired up and ran flawlessly on the hose yesterday. I verified timing and set the idle to ~1000RPM.

I've still got a problem with shutting the boat off. While putting the new power pack on I had to disconnect and reconnect the black/yellow wire and ever since then it will not shut down with the key.

When I turn the key off and go to the engine and unplug the black/yellow wire it goes dead. If I leave that wire unplugged, crank the engine, then plug the wire back up it will go dead. This does not seem to be a connection issue, yet any change in the connection shuts the boat down.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

to stop the engine the black yellow must be grounded

Post Thanks / Like

I understand this. And grounding it out while the engine is running will shut it off. I can ground that wire out, crank the engine, and the key will not cut the engine off until that connection is "changed" ( if it is grounded I have to unground it. If it is ungrounded I have to ground it)

Does this make sense?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with the original pack? Did the engine shut off with the key first time out this year with the original pack?

Post Thanks / Like

Skip Baker, it acts the same with both packs. I will swap it out again to make certain. Thank you for your help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will the engine shut off with the kill switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Negative, Skip.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought here, but on the back of the OMC key switch there are two terminals marked "M"... One is a vertical "stud" and the other five are horizontal tabs. All use the same tiny brass screw to anchor the wires.

There is a chance someone swapped the black/yellow wire and the solid black wire on the back of the key switch. Check that the black/yellow wire goes to the vertical stud connection and the solid black goes to ground. Sounds like you have a floating ground allowing the powerpak to keep the "Run" circuit powered.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you check continuity from key switch to power pack on the black wire with yellow stripe and also same test on the black wire? And check connections at the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

25XS, Skip Baker, thank you. I will perform tests as you guys described.

This boat ran phenomenal yesterday. It is just a tick below 50mph with what I would bet is the 30 year old beat up OE prop. I took the "whale tail" off the cav plate and it likes to hop at ~4k rpm cruise, but is easy to drive around.

Also, I noticed that the bilge pump and trim "up" button on the throttle did not work. Dad said this all worked fine before. Looks like I will be spending some time with a meter checking wires.

Thread Information