Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: needing help with a 50HP Johnson

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default needing help with a 50HP Johnson

hey y'all,

names zack, i was directed to yall for some help trying to breath new life into my motor so here we go...

i have a 72 johnson 50hp 2 cyl, i am trying to find a rebuild kit for it, but anything i have found is for 81 and up.

now here is the deal, it is currently running, with a little trouble to get going, but once she is warm she'll eat. i would like to keep her running but if i cannot get a rebuild kit, im not sinking money in the motor. BUT i have been told i can swap the powerhead and to look for 80-88 powerhead. secondly, i have been told that i can swap over some 60hp carbs to get some more out of her as well.....

so here is where i am at, if i can get an actual '72 50hp rebuild kit, where is it lol and if i am better with power head swap, what years should i look at.

thanks for your help yall.

zack.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

72 has old electric shift lower unit, I would imagine very hard to find parts
    I would have thought the powerhead rebuild parts are still available?
    If you can move up to a later engine 1980+ they are a better base product
    Likes Scherfz1 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The lower is good, not one issue, but I wouldn’t mind slapping on a 55-60hp power head that is 80 or newer, just don’t know what years I should look at, for instance I have found an 82 Evinrude 55 hp power head that seems to be good bones but all of the rebuild kits I come across go by this 3.187 bore and I have no idea as to what 80’s motors has this bore

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The bore has never changed, pistons and rods got better over the years. In the 70's
    They are a great engine
    The sst45 is just a 60hp with a different exhaust and shaved head, 60hp sleeve so same porting
    The driveshaft splines in the crank changed in the 80's so you need to check they match your shaft.
    Not 100% sure the powerhead will fit, i'm just thinking about the clearance for shift linkage which is cast into the crankcase front?
    I guess that depends on how much of the later engine you get, cowls etc and if they will fit

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scherfz, glad to see you made it over.

I have been reading here quite a bit lately but this may be my first post. The engine gurus here speak in terms of Cubic inches of the different blocks due to racing classes and whatno,t so if your going to do research (Via search) here you may want to figure out what "They" call your motor.

Pretty sure my 25hp evinrude is considered a 32CI or 31.8 engine for example.

Like in this thread.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...8ci-Mod-Advice

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Zack,

Try Sea Way Marine... 425-412-4006.... ask for Dave Losvar... his direct number is: 425-412-5914. They specialize in all old outboard motors and parts. They should be able to help you.
    Dean Hobart

Thread Information