Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The AOF - American Outboard Federation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The AOF - American Outboard Federation.

So here is the earliest piece I have from this collection. It appears that it came from an edition of Hydroplane Quarterly and looks to be from early 1972, perhaps Tim Chance will see this and expound on it. So here we go with the AOF.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad and I were members of the AOF during this time. Looking forward to seeing more. Also, Tim Chance's, "Hydroplane Quarterly," was excellent and would I love to see more of it. I'll check to see if I have any of these ancient publications.

Post Thanks / Like

The website boatsport.org has most of those on its website , along with Boat Sport and Speed and Spray magazines.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As they say down in Wayne's part of the country, "Gracias!" I'll check it out.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

De Nada Steve. I will delve into the history of AOF as far as I know it Dale and Steve. It started as far as I know in 1971 or maybe before. The first I knew of it was in 1972 when NOA was foundering and the strong southern boat racing bunch wasn't sure what to do. APBA guy's came south to race in the very strong and competitive NOA races, but a lot of the racers from the south didn't go to race up north. There were so many races like SEBA, LONE STAR,and I don't know the name of the association that ran in the Louisiana, Missisippi region that had races every weekend that those guys never traveled up north. Most were local events, but the sanctioned races were either through the organization or maybe like in Lone Star Boat Racing Associatin, a dual sanction with both Lone Star and NOA approval. When NOA was obviously going down a meeting was held at Gravois Mills in Missouri. The participants were deciding whether to go with the new AOF, try to save NOA or go all together with APBA.

Thanks racingfan1 thanked for this post
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Wayne. I knew you hablaed that Espanoly. My dad wasn't the least bit political about boat racing. As long as he could race, he joined them all: NOA, AOF, APBA, OBRC, and then to race at home, was in on creating his own club: The Razorback Boat Racing Club.
    Thanks racingfan1 thanked for this post

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me correctly... It was about that time period in the early 1970’s that APBA started their own Modified Outboard Division. Joann Ellis and her husband were the directors at that time. APBA did this I’m sure to pick up those drivers from the floundering NOA modified division.

Correct me if I am incorrect.

Thank you very much. Dean Hobart........
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know when Dean, but the mods already had been racing for a number of years in APBA. Jo Ann and Bill became good friends of ours when they helped with the Dayton races my Dad, Tim Butts and others helped to organize.

Post Thanks / Like

Default March 1972

This edition is dated 3/72 but it says Number 3 on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

This confirms that my thinking was right in that AOF really got going in 1972. We went to two Pro races in 1972. The first was at Gravois Mills, Missouri and the second was Monroe, Louisiana, also on the schedule. That was the only two Pro races in 1972 I know about and they called it the Gulf Canadian series. I ended up high point in B Hydro and got a wooden plack for that. There is an article about Roger Purtee from Hot Springs on the front page. It was Roger that my Dad had gotten to help us with the first invitational race on Lake Catherine at Hot Springs where Jerry Waldman was killed. Also, there was a write up about Bobby Wilson and his pit man Glenn Rowe regarding a perpetual trophy. When my Dad had talked to Jerry Waldman, Marshall Grant and Harry Bartolomei about his idea of an invitational race between the East, West, North and South, they all agreed that it sounded like a great race. My Dad contacted Bobby Wilson to meet him and they drove to Hot Springs which was considered a good central location. My Dad wanted Bobby to look over the course and see what he thought about it. Bobby liked what he saw and from a spectator point of view, it was probably one of the most spectacular viewing areas of any race course I ever saw. It was totally shaded and a great hill looking down from above over the whole race course with the boats coming straight into the first turn. I have a lot of correspondence regarding that race Dale. We only raced AOF those two races. At the time, most of us didn't think AOF would last. I have posted some time back about a meeting that took place at Gravois Mills regarding the future of boat racing. I think I'll give Ralph Donald a call and see what he remembers about it. A funny side note: We stopped to gas up at a station about 50 miles south of Gravois Mills. My Dad asked the guy who owned the gas station " How much further is Gravois Mills?" He said "I don't know. I heared of it, but I ain't never been there."

Thread Information