Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Looking for 1970s Butts Aero Wing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for 1970s Butts Aero Wing

I am looking for an early 70's era butts aero wing (C Racing Hydro) with the straight combing sides. It is for a restoration project I am working on so any condition would work for meName:  ARMAND HEBERT -1973 MISS PHARMACIE VACHON (1).jpg
Views: 973
Size:  166.0 KB
    Likes Jimboat liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abbottracing View Post
    I am looking for an early 70's era butts aero wing (C Racing Hydro) with the straight combing sides. It is for a restoration project I am working on so any condition would work for me
    Did you know Armand? I raced with him many times, considered him a friend as I also did Lou & Chuck Simon. They lent asked me to run their best "A" prop at Depue one year as they didn't qualify. I tested it just as everyone was headed to the drivers meeting. At the meeting Armand asked me "is that your A"? I said yes, his response was "it's fast".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As a kid growing up I got to watch Armand and his brother Jean Noel race, as they lived less than 1/2 hour from me. My father was friends wit Chuck Simon, and I also had lots of opportunities to meet him and Lou and also watch them race. As a matter of fact prior to the 1982 Worlds in Dayton Ohio my father and I took my A motor over to Chucks shop and he gave it the once over for me.

I also won my first highpoints in a boat that belonged to Armand, which was an A racing Marchetti. A couple of years ago I found the boat again out in the elements and I spoke to the owner and he gave it to me. I completed the restoration last fall and will be painting it back to the colors etc.. when Armand raced it. That is the reason I am looking for a Butts, is to replicate the L'Pic 4 and get a trailer and paint it the same colors and have a neat display to take to vintage events. Members of the Hebert family have given me some neat stuff for the collection like all the old props, and his helmet that will all be displayed. I have put a couple of photos of the boat in her glory days and as she sits now waiting for her final paint job.
    Name:  24891426_1669771203045149_864555903_n.png
Views: 525
Size:  274.2 KB
    Name:  aug 15.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  42.5 KB

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, there are some ads with that Aerowing in Hydroplane Quarterly and Tim Butts lists the accomplishments of the drivers. Armand was one of the first to buy and race a Butts Aerowing.

Like John Schubert, Armand was a friend. My Dad and I first met Armand at Forest Lake, Minnesota at the NOA World Championships. The Sunday event was blown out and my Dad said he would put on the Sunday show for anyone that wanted to come down and compete in South Texas. All that qualified got a spot and if the field needed to be filled, there would be qualifying heats to do just that. Armand flew down and we loaned him the boats and motors he needed for the classes he wanted to run. He did very well. I will post results if I get my new scanner working soon.

Armand was not accustomed to South Texas heat. He was just about to pass out any moment, so my Dad parked his Chrysler New Yorker on the hill facing the pits just up above the boats. Armand and our team were both running Hopkins propellers so Baldy instructed Floyd Hopkins to stay with Armand, make sure he drank a lot of water, keep him cool in the Chrysler and get him down to his boat on time.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Now that is what the Boat Racing Family is all about. Your generosity is over the top.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You're exactly right Dean. I have heard of so many examples of the boat racing fraternity to step in to help not only in the pits, but oftentimes on the road. A boat racer has some kind of problem and can call someone in a town close by, and he has help. I think Boat Racing Families may be unique in this way.

Likes dave dalton liked this post

Thread Information