This past Sunday I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Lou Simon, brother of Chuck Simon. Back in the late 50's, 60's and early 70's they were a dominate force on the Alky racing series not only as fierce competitors but Chuck and Lou were master engine Konig engine builders and Lou was a master at working props.

He shared stories of the golden days of the sport, and I also had an opportunity to photograph a lot of old newspaper articles etc... I got the tour of the old Simon Marine workshop that is still intact in his basement, complete with the crankshaft press and all his measuring tools.

As a kid growing up in the 60's I remember cheering on Chuck Simon at Valleyfield, Lachine and Laprairie races and met him on a number of occasions as my Dad and him were childhood friends. It was an afternoon of learning a lot more about my sport, and hearing stories you can only get from the special people who lived them... It was fun to hear the famous names of drivers that the Simon brothers built motors or props for during their career.