Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Midwest racer of the 1950's

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Midwest racer of the 1950's

3-12-2020
    My DeSilva and Ashburn boats.
    As I had mentioned earlier my DeSilva was a solid boat but just too heavy for B Class. It good on the corners but coming out of the hole it lacked the right stuff.
    I had met Art and Butch Kennedy on previous race days and young Butch had set a Class A straightway record with his Ashburn. His Dad had ordered a new boat for him and they decided to sell the Ashburn. I thought it might be too small for a B Class engine, but they said they had run some B class Merc's on it and it did well.
    I bought it the next week and went to the St. Louis area to pick it up. When I returned to my home, rural Pekin, Illinois ( we lived NE of there on a small “sand burr” farm. Sand burrs seemed to be our best crop!! I stopped at the elevator scales to get a weight on the Ashburn. I don't remember the exact weight but it was 35 lbs lighter than the DeSilva. That I remember!!
    I then set up my trailer for the Ashburn and at the same time made the rack for my buddies Hydro. We then could travel together to the events and I had plenty of room in the box for more engines. His name was Bob Guengerich from Pekin. Nicknamed “Fuzz”. Bob was a real thinker. He was always thinking “outside” the box and came up with some great ideas. We still stay in contact.
    My crew consisted of ONE, Al Ward of Pekin. He was of great help as we could not get along without him!! He traveled with us for 3 and ½ years.
    Many close friends over my racing years, Cliff and Bud Eldert, Lee and Lou St Clair, O.f. and David Christner, The Seebold family, Art and Butch Kennedy, Bill Owens, Deter Koneig, Vern McQueen, Bill DeSilva, Earl Renfro and so many others.
    I will add some random photographs. I have been in photography since 1953 but during those racing years all funds went into my racing so did not have a great camera or that time for my avocation, even though it was a C3 Argus.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thread Information