Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Old Race Boat Numbers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Race Boat Numbers

Is there any way to look up an old race number in order to learn about a boat's history? I'm specifically wondering about # 640- N. Looks like an old B Swift.
    Asking for a friend. Thanks.

Name:  IMG_8258 2.jpeg
Views: 946
Size:  97.8 KB

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are fortunate enough to have someone recognize the number I'm afraid there are limited choices. Some programs listed drivers, city and boat numbers of racers in that region, and at most of the divisional and national championship races a drover's roster always included the number. Also clubs would sometimes publish names and numbers of all current members. Occasionally someone would make a big list of all the members with numbers by class. You need a pack rat who reads this and happens to have a list including your boat number. Your boat goes way back, and it is unlikely that the people who may be able to help you are still around. Looks like a stock outboard number to me. I figured some of the members from New York area would have come up with some ideas, but since no one has come forward, I thought I would chime in so you may get a little activity, and someone with more knowledge than me.

Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Thought it was worth a shot.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

@toby hall
    Were you ever able to contact the APBA to see what they had on file?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is worth a shot Toby, and you came to the best place to see if you can find out the information. It would be worthwhile to check with APBA just to see. At least now you're getting some action. Could get results, you never know.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlpyamato View Post
    @toby hall
    Were you ever able to contact the APBA to see what they had on file?
    I did contact them and she said that since she was still working from home she couldn't get to the files she has in her office. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Unless you are fortunate enough to have someone recognize the number I'm afraid there are limited choices. Some programs listed drivers, city and boat numbers of racers in that region, and at most of the divisional and national championship races a drover's roster always included the number. Also clubs would sometimes publish names and numbers of all current members. Occasionally someone would make a big list of all the members with numbers by class. You need a pack rat who reads this and happens to have a list including your boat number. Your boat goes way back, and it is unlikely that the people who may be able to help you are still around. Looks like a stock outboard number to me. I figured some of the members from New York area would have come up with some ideas, but since no one has come forward, I thought I would chime in so you may get a little activity, and someone with more knowledge than me.
    I agree Wayne. The other possibility is if somebody has the heat sheets from the Stock Nationals. In the collection I received from Dick Davidson there is the packet from the 1972 Stock Nationals. In that packet is the complete list of entries by name and boat number for every class. This boat is probably pre 1972 and 640-N was not listed in any class in 1972. Hopefully somebody can put a name to that boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Hall View Post
    I did contact them and she said that since she was still working from home she couldn't get to the files she has in her office. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks Toby for the update............fingers crossed indeed. Please keep us posted with your progress.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toby,
    please contact me at jschubert19j@gmail.com. Have some info about 640-N & questions about the Sea Flash you once owned

Thread Information