Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sst 45 Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sst 45 Mod

I was thinking it would be nice to have a SST 45 mod class. Same engine and boat rules allow more off the head, lightened flywheel, any aftermarket parts available and four blade propellers.

Tell me what you think.

rossdbos

Default Not interested, right now anyway!

Chad:
    When OMC last mfg. the 45 race motor in 1992 everyone (including myself) believed that the class was going to "die" out after a few years and parts became scarce. However that was not the case, in fact on the West Coast the class has not only thrived but grown. This is due in large part to the fact that parts are readily available for the motor/lower unit, etc. also, the WFLS has helped sustain growth and interest because of the competiveness and availability of parts and the relatively low cost to go racing. While the idea of a "mod" motor sounds appealing especially when there are worn out blocks available as a promoter the last thing I would like to see is a division within the class. In general we (APBA) have way too many classes and to create another class when one already exists will only serve to divide and dilute the class, history proves this fact unequivocally!!! So as I told your Dad, let's not create more 1, 2 & 3 boat classes, let's concentrate on making the classes that are doing well even better. When the SST-45 class as we currently know it fades out, then and only then is it time to take the "O.J."(Old Junk) and make a Mod class out of it.
    Now, a class I would alway's support is SST-120 but I fear the jump in price from SST-45 to SST-120 has kept some from making the leap.
    I can go on and on and frequently do but this is my opinion and as a promoter I am only interested in large classes with great competition, not watching a handful of boats go roundy round!
    See ya,
    Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross,
    You make some good points. I am not trying to make more classes just more racing. Maybe a better idea would be to promote the formula 150 class. Boats run as fast or faster than a 120, but motors can be put together for 1/10 the cost of a good 120. We have no V6 out board class in California at this time. If we were to get one going I would rather see a class with less expense and more available parts. With that said, I am content on SST 45 and The Parker Enduro for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If You Want To Race More...

Chad, drive my MOD VP in Nostalgia.....save me doing it!!! (Even 80 seems too fast for me)....

Greg Foster and me are going to "JOINT VENTURE" the FIRST OFF ROAD BOAT.....

Added a new engine to the class...Ford, Dodge, Mercury and Chevy....

rossdbos

Thumbs up I agree!

Chad,
    No truer (sp?) words were spoken! Yes, I would like to see a "catch all" class like F150 if SST-120 is not viable made from existing O.J. and or new motors as long as there would be plenty of boats. I know that Dave Kristan, Dan Shwartz and Larry's Lady will be at Parker (at least that's what Dave Kristan told me yesterday) and maybe even John Marles would forgive me and come out and play. I could definitely see the potential in F150 but is there enough interest? I am glad you are content with the Enduro and SST-45, too bad you can't come to Thanksgiving at Parker oooh well, there is Havasu Landing in January and Bakersfield in March before Round # 1 at Parker in April!
    See ya and tell your family Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ross

rossdbos

Cool Ron, You Scare me!

Thank you for bringing me the new R12 Capsule trainer! I appreciate all the renewed and revitalized help you have become in the past year, Website, Enduro, etc. however.........
    Ron, you scare me, especially you driving anything but a tricycle!
    "Off Road boat" (the name makes no sense though I thoroughly get the concept) please rename it to Spec...... boat class! Then I want you and "Moneybags" Foster to get 6 boats, say one with each type of motor configuration to make a real class and I will be the first to host this prodigous experiment!
    Now, as I have said numerous times, if you can wade through all the b.s. in there somewhere lies a great idea! So a challenge to you, Mr. Ron Hill, don't just come up with this concept, make it a reality and let's see how it goes, otherwise let's just keep growing the classes we have (remember we are already running out of daylight with the amount of classes I have to run to just break even!).
    Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ross 'dabos'

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, Ross...

I can assume you don't want to ride with me in MY OFF ROAD BOAT... It is OK, as I'd like someone lighter....

Stay tuned!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default F150

F150 for speeds fall right between Champ and 120's. I would basically put the 150 class at the speeds of a mid race Champ boat. It would be great to see the 150 class take off and have a series sanction the class as it could be huge. Everything is very easily teched with carbs and with the combination of motors and different styles of race courses the racing is far none the best. The past few years the best races at the nationals have been in the 150 class. People coming from back to front, passing every lap, and constant action all the way around. With every different motor combination it gives you a different advantage/disadvantage which works great for the competition. Now if we could only get a large group of these boats together, and maybe change the Formula 150 name to something a little more attractive we might have a future series national class.

Steve Tabara

rossdbos

Default O.k.

Ron, build it and let's see if they will come!
    Steve, as an OPC commissioner for the past 6 years, I was in on the original vote to make it a class. I hope everyone viewing this page that has an inkling on racing goes into one class or the other (on the West Coast).
    Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ross Wallach

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think F150's is a great class and provides some of the best racing in the bigger V-6 classes. Some will not agree with me on this but I feel the same way with SST-70's. At one time the class was huge, but now the numbers are gone and the only thing that is around is SST-60, the best thing about 70's was again just like F150's the different motor combo's created great racing along with cheaper costs. Couldnt argue with the costs of the SST-70 class as it was cheaper and much more affordable than SST-60.

Have a great thanksgiving as well. Happy Turkey Day!

Steve

Thread Information