Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-tec fits on sst45 mid

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Etec's were advertised as powerful compared to competition, that all changes on course of course. To keep one as is and race would be tuff on that reliability. The complications of it being a clean running yet fast motor would be put to the test there then there's speed.. Of course you would want it to be faster, where might that bring it? Not to say run as a stock outboard [actually super stock on 45 lower] It could be an exciting class or add to the class it would fit into.
    race it stock, will last for years
    Likes JohnsonM50 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    the current 45 cowl will go over it no problem

You seem confident the current 45SST cowl will fit over the 2-cyl 40/50/60hp Etec engine so I'll take your word for it... Here's the powerhead with all it's parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt thinking pull start

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt thinking pull start
    Well, neither was I but it was the first dressed powerhead picture I could find. Anyway, if you imagine the pull start being out of those pictures, I'm really thinking about all the stuff BRP hung low on the sides, taking advantage of additional space in the lower side covers of the Etec. I think a 45SS lower pan would limit space for those hoses, oil tank, and other wiring that hangs down on the sides of the Etec powerhead. Again, I'm not against this idea at all, simply pointing out possible issues.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that came to mind with the E-tec blocks is whether or not the oiling locations from the oil injection are strategic in the design in such a way were you NEED to oil those locations in a particular way. The worry is that premix may not lubricate those locations properly..? Has anyone inspected these details? Or can we assume it'd be ok to run pre-mix only?
    Last edited by hydrospeed77; 10-06-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SST 45 Cowl

the current 45 cowl will go over it no problem
    How do you know the SST-45 cowl will fit over the E-Tech 60 hp? Are you talking about the SeaWay cowl or the OMC SST-45 cowl?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg View Post
    How do you know the SST-45 cowl will fit over the E-Tech 60 hp? Are you talking about the SeaWay cowl or the OMC SST-45 cowl?
    The Seaway version
    I just looked on the bench, the top of the lifting eyes are at the same height,
    So I will need to find a crank and flywheel to check if my guess was right or not?
    The top of the etec block at the crank is higher than the 45 block but about 1/2" so will depend on the flywheel.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hydrospeed77 View Post
    One thing that came to mind with the E-tec blocks is whether or not the oiling locations from the oil injection are strategic in the design in such a way were you NEED to oil those locations in a particular way. The worry is that premix may not lubricate those locations properly..? Has anyone inspected these details? Or can we assume it'd be ok to run pre-mix only?
    if you go down the carby route you need to make a flywheel and get a cd ignition set up under it.
    Plus the issue if the mains can gravity feed?
    I was thinking leave it as an e-tec?
    It has huge reeds in it...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2 cylinder ETEC has a massive tower and inside that tower is a tuned exhaust. The exhaust goes down and wraps back up giving a single cylinder tuned length.

If you put it on another tower you're going to lose that tuning and a lot of power, and of course you'll need to retune the fuel injection to make sure you get a good mixture without the tuned exhaust.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    The 2 cylinder ETEC has a massive tower and inside that tower is a tuned exhaust. The exhaust goes down and wraps back up giving a single cylinder tuned length.

If you put it on another tower you're going to lose that tuning and a lot of power, and of course you'll need to retune the fuel injection to make sure you get a good mixture without the tuned exhaust.
    yes but long exhaust is all about low end power, perhaps run a rotax pack as the sled guys have full access to programing an e-tec

Thread Information