Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: A Little History: Part 15 John Webster

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Little History: Part 15 John Webster

"A Little History" Part 15 - John Webster, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Many thanks to Ted Abel for providing a copy of John’s Eulogy that I shall use in its entirety.

John Webster (Eulogy) by Ted Abel
    “Husband, Father, Grandfather, Brother, Hero, Best Friend”
    Intro of Family: Ruth, Ross, Randy and John’s sister Marion.
    I think Ross Webster put it best on Hydroracer when he said “A Canadian boat racing legend, my hero, my dad is gone”. He was also a great friend and I can’t believe he is no longer here.

I could go on about all of John’s racing achievements but I want to talk about John the man and the main highlights of his 60 year career in racing.

Family: Ruth, Ross and Randy (sister) Marion
    John was born in Toronto, Ontario March 4, 1933
    Married Ruth Feb 1, 1964
    John was a plumber for over 50 years with Local #46 Union
    He had two fantastic children, Ross and Randy who he was very proud of. He was an avid racer but he also knew how to balance his family life as well.
    John always kidded about racing and home life. He had to keep a low profile or Ruth would find more projects for him around the house.

John also loved his cottage as much as racing.
    Racing:
    TORC Member- John was the longest running President..

3 Nationals In One Day at Conseco, Ont. 1971 ASH, BSH, DSH (story)
    John was also pleased as punch when his boys Ross and Randy started racing and they were both very good at it right from the start. Randy’s style was very much like John’s. Ross was the more methodical racer and mechanic and a very good driver, which he learned from his Dad and those high standards that led Ross to Win the Nationals in 2009. John was never happier than he was in the pits working on the equipment and teaching his boys at the same time. There is no better feeling in life than winning for your Dad, but even better when he was there to see it. John also told me it was one of the proudest times of his life.

John always found the time to help everyone at the races while at the same time Being President of TORC and for as long as I can remember he was also an officer of CBF in the Stock Outboard Division. John also served in all technical decisions as well as being Chief Inspector for CBF as long as he was racing. John also traveled and checked out and organized more races for TORC than anyone would ever imagine.

John was also a very sound thinker and when he didn’t agree when CBF was going the wrong way, he always offered a solution. Sometimes it seemed he wasn’t listening, as he would sit silently. But then after applying very sound judgment the answer would come out all at once.

I used to get a big kick out of John when he got excited or mad at a meeting when someone proposed an issue that was way off track. His voice always went a lot higher.

Nobody had more heart or belief in his convictions and he was most always right.

When I was President and a director of CBF, I called John on a regular basis for help and advice, which he honestly gave. We also went to a lot of meetings together and I was always calling him for opinions and just to talk to him. I will miss that so much. He was my friend for over 50 years.

One of John’s main highlight was the Canadian Nationals at Consecon, Ontario in 1971.
    John usually ran ASH and BSH but this day between Cal Merklinger and himself they came up with a DSH outfit. The boat was one of the weirdest designs that I ever saw and looked a lot like a runabout in a hydro sort of way. I was also running DSH that day and I had a pretty fine running DSH as well. To get to the bottom line I received a very humbling 2nd place and John won the Nationals in all three of his classes.

I also remember before Ross and Randy came along that John had a pit man named Paul Jensen (his brother-in-law) who used to lift John in and out of the boat so John never got wet. When I was an 18 year old starting in late 1961, I found this very impressive. John also had his brother Artie (Art Webster) helping him as well. Artie always wore that black cowboy hat. Ruth also went to most of those races in those days as well and due to
    A bad back didn’t travel too well in those days..

There were a few of us whose families all grew up together in the pits and races in those days towards the mid and late 60’s. Some of those families were John and Ruth and the boys, the Cal Merklinger & Audrey, Ron & Pat France, Jim & Pauline Monaham, Larry Burns, Wares, Tooey’s and Werner’s (from Dunneville) Van Valkenburgs, Fiona & Bill Hodgson, Butch& Dorothy Lundy, Rick and Brenda Fralick, Doug Deugo & his boys, Fran & Bill Bolter, Doug & Tina Overbury, Bill & Lynn Bolton, and later John Knox became a very close friend also. There are so many others and I’m sorry if I missed some as there are just so many. (These are most of the ones from the 60’s whose kids grew up with Randy and Ross)

The Officals at all races in those days that were friends of all (as CBF was in its infancy)
    Herb Hodgson was always the starter with real cannon for the starts. We always thought gun jumping would be reduced if live shot was used. Ron Robinson, Fred & Doe Shorney, Vera Barrie (whose husband was a founder of CBF). These were all very close friends of John, which isn’t surprising as racing was and still is a family.

John and I and others I’m sure went to a lot of funerals for racers who had passed as John Webster was always one to pay his respects.

John always made time to help the younger racers and he also brought a lot into the sport.
    He also mentored Andrew Fralick, Heather Knox and oh so many others and give you the confidence to keep going when things weren’t going very well. John in the past few years passed the torch to the younger generation in TORC and I know they will carry on the John Webster legacy.

I am just one person he touched and I know he touched all of you as well.

Someone once said that if you see something in someone you like, then take it and add it to yourself. There is no greater compliment to a person than that. In my observations John Webster made us all a lot better.

John Webster will never really be gone as he lives on in Ruth, Ross, Randy and grandson Chad and his sister Marion. .John was just so proud of Chad and he was doing more and more things with his Grandfather. What John did on a personal basis with all of us whether it is family, racing, neighbors and people he worked with will live on in all of us.

Rest in Peace John and I know you will always be with us.

John was a CBF Officer Over a period of 60 years.

Awards: Canadian Boating Federation: Hall of Fame, Lifetime Achievement Member

Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame 2011

References: Sad News from Canada

Photos:
    1-3 John receiving Lifetime Award from Toronto Outboard Racing Club director Andrew Fralick.
    4 - John with his only grandson Chad Webster son of Ross Webster.
    5 - John behind Bill Keegan at Crystal Lake - Fishers Landing race in N.Y.
    6 - John presenting winner his trophy at Fishers Landing race.
    7 - John’s son Ross at Crystal Lake, N.Y. race.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-15-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    Likes twostroke liked this post

Thread Information