Default Part 19: Doug Overbury

Doug Overbury
    Born in Lachine, Quebec, March 18, 1950

Married to Christina Overbury
    Two kids: Emily and Patrick
    Elementary School and High School in Quebec
    BASc (Mechanical Engineering) University of waterloo, 1974
    MBA (Financial Management) Clarkson University, Potsdam NY, 1983

Over my career have held many Engineering and Senior Management roles at Homelite-Textron, Black & Decker, Siemens Automotive, Magna International, Colt’s Manufacturing and Hyco International.

Had enough of the corporate world in 2004 and purchased Auto Electric Rebuilders, Kingston, Ont. Now Eastern Ontario’s largest provider of new and remanufactured alternators, starters and small dc motors. I go to work every day, and pay taxes and outlandish utility bills in Ontario!

I first saw outboard racing at Lachine, QC in 1958!! Have been hooked ever since. Built Minimax and other boats starting at age 10, Built a Hal Kelly B stock hydro at 16, equipped with Mark 20H unconverted. Added A and B alky parts and was unwelcome at the family cottage in the Laurentians. Sold everything to pay my tuition fees to Waterloo engineering in 1969.

I followed my passion and completed Waterloo engineering with top marks in 1974.

In my last summer co-op term in 1973, I bought a d stock hydro and began racing at local races in Quebec. Won first place in E open hydro, Lachine Quebec 1973!

I Joined CBF for the first time in 1974, and as far as I can remember have been a CBF member every year since (Lise Hainault may be able to confirm this). Also in 1974 began to be involved in organizing races. Bev Hall was my first referee in my rookie race at Lachine in 1974. Bev left a lasting positive impression on me.

I started running CSH as well in 1975 as well, and was by then building my own engines, lower units and boats. I usually built 25 to 50 lower units every year for anyone who asked.

I served on the CBF stock outboard committee From 1975 to 1980. Also served as inspector and member of the technical committee.

Organized and participated at many race events including St. Timothee, QC, Pierrefonds, QC, Rawdon, QC, Verdun, QC, Quyon, QC, and St. Pierre de Wakefield.

Moved to Brockville, Ont in 1978, joined the Southern Ontario Stock Outboard Club (SOSO). Worked with Bev & Fran Hall, George Elliot, Tommy Utman, Gord McCrady Jr & Sr, Frank Mitchell, Jim Noonan, Jim Pakeman Jr & Sr, Al Lytle, Bernie Boulter, and many many others From 613 to organize and promote some of the best stock outboard races in Canada.

In 613 the races were Cardinal, Westport, Tweed, Sydenham, Carleton Place, Rideau Ferry, Almonte, Long Sault, Deseronto, Cornwall.

When I returned to Canada in 1997, Ted Abel asked me to become involved in CBF again, which I was very pleased to do. By 2000 I had built a new D Classic hydro and had as many as 7 boats running in the class including Ron Collins, Charlie Miller and we had enough boats for two national championships! I still provide parts and tech support to many D classic owners.

I am delighted when I can attend and help out at the other Cdn events. I believe over my career I may have refereed over 100 days of racing!

Major achievements at the races were many wins, many championships, and successful races! Two big ones were the Canadian Nationals at Sydenham 1979 and Long Sault, 2004 & 2007.

In recent years I have only been able to sponsor and promote one race, Beaver Lake at Erinsville, ON. This race has grown significantly in the past 5 years, and has provided a venue for an "Old Boat Racers and Friends Reunion". Many of my long tern friends are From the boat racing family, and I am delighted each year to see many of them!

I have always felt that stock outboard racing is a family sport and my family stays involved. Tina and Patrick always come and help out, and Emily runs here AXSH!

2017 is Canada’s 150th anniversary and I would like to see another Canadian national championship for at least some of our classes. I ask for your support in this to make 2017 another very special year.
    Last edited by hydrospeed77; 09-24-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: email from Ron, technical difficulties...

Post Thanks / Like

photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hydrospeed77; 09-24-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The above posts have been updated.

Thread Information