Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remembering the early days

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Remembering the early days

Born in 1956, I got my introduction to boat racing in the early 60's when my uncle, Bruce Rebman, competed in NDBA at Skiland, Perris, Ca, driving his single engine outboard, step type hull, Halfbreed. He built the boat in his backyard shop, mounted a six cylinder Corvair engine on end on top of a Mercury lower unit, and was the record holder for the class. He later competed in the Havasu Outboard World Championship, again in a boat of his own design.

Reading through the threads in this site, so many names are recognizable: Hill, May, Ramos, Buckhorn, and so many more, yet I was but a child at the time! This is the impact that you people have had on my life, remembering names and faces from 50-60 years ago, like it was yesterday. Thank you for the memories!

I later went on to become Editor of Boat News and later, Race Boat and Industry News, in the mid to late 70's, and many of you were still in the forefront at that time, and I enjoyed writing about some of my childhood heroes. Sadly, many are gone now, along with my Uncle Bruce, my parents, Dennis and Lori Rebman, who also raced stock outboards, and all those that gave the sport of boat racing it's beginning.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers racing with my uncle or my parents, though I know that might be a stretch. Take care everyone!

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rebman View Post
    Born in 1956, I got my introduction to boat racing in the early 60's when my uncle, Bruce Rebman, competed in NDBA at Skiland, Perris, Ca, driving his single engine outboard, step type hull, Halfbreed. He built the boat in his backyard shop, mounted a six cylinder Corvair engine on end on top of a Mercury lower unit, and was the record holder for the class. He later competed in the Havasu Outboard World Championship, again in a boat of his own design.

Reading through the threads in this site, so many names are recognizable: Hill, May, Ramos, Buckhorn, and so many more, yet I was but a child at the time! This is the impact that you people have had on my life, remembering names and faces from 50-60 years ago, like it was yesterday. Thank you for the memories!

I later went on to become Editor of Boat News and later, Race Boat and Industry News, in the mid to late 70's, and many of you were still in the forefront at that time, and I enjoyed writing about some of my childhood heroes. Sadly, many are gone now, along with my Uncle Bruce, my parents, Dennis and Lori Rebman, who also raced stock outboards, and all those that gave the sport of boat racing it's beginning.

Would love to hear from anyone who remembers racing with my uncle or my parents, though I know that might be a stretch. Take care everyone!
    Hello Mike,

You yourself need to tell the stories that you know here... this is the place... please do.
    Dean Hobart
    Thanks Mike Rebman thanked for this post

Thread Information