Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall Grant

I was talking with Marshall Grant today about the new movie, "Walk the Line," and about the new book he has coming out in April '06. Marshall helped with some of the history in the movie. He was featured on the CMT segment of "The Making of Walk the Line." He was very happy with the way the movie portrayed Johnny Cash, even though it is hard to tell every thing that happened in his life in two hours. We talked about the good ole days with Johnny and some of the others in the show. I told him that I thought the woman that played Mother Maybelle nailed her part and Marshall agreed. In one segment of the movie, they showed Marshall making a bomb and then placing it in a tree and watching it blow up. I wish that they had shown Marshall with his boat racing cannon. Marshall, John, and Luther would fire the cannon off while on tour in the early days. Below, you will find the April 1965 issue of "The World of Boat Racing" with an article on Johnny Cash, Marshall Grant and Dick Pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-29-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Sorry But...

My kids wanted to go see "Walk the Line" with me....I told them, I'm sorry but I'll need to see it by myself...

I went to college in Flagstaff, Arizona...we listened to Johnny Cash 24/7... At the Latin Quarter Bar we played Ira Hayes by Johnny Cash about 250 times every Friday night...

The Ring of Fire plays on my DVD's daily...
    I hear the movies is great....

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I heard it is a great movie

My daughter's boyfriend will be in town this weekend so I'm taking Sunday afternoon off and we're going to see it.

I hope he makes a few cities on a book signing tour when it comes out. Maybe he'll make it down to Houston.

Marshall and my Dad were good friends. They talked on the phone and corresponded quite a bit. It was Marshall that had the biggest influence on my Dad's approach to putting on races. Some of the things they did could help with race promotion these days. In spite of the ties that Marshall had with Roone Arledge of ABC Wide World of Sports, they would not air alky races. I saw the NOA World Championships on Wide World of Sports the year I started racing, but never after that. The program was too long for ABC.

The driver in all these photos was Billy Seebold. It was 1972 and Billy was already driving tunnels. This I believe was his last year to race alky. Billy and his dad Bill had already stopped fielding their own V-45 Seebold Racing when Billy started driving for Marshall. I think that was around 1968. Have to check some old programs. Billy won just about everything he raced for Marshall at Alexandria that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walk the Line Movie

The movie was GREAT. I highly recommend it. It gets a little rough when John is under the influence of drugs. But on the whole, anyone over the age of 10 has seen worse on TV. The actors did a great job of portraying June Carter and Johhnny Cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Billy Seebold driving Marshall's Ring of Fire

I don't have any photos of the race at Rogers, Arkansas. It turned out very rough. Don't recall much about the races. Only a few funny stories, but one of the things that clearly stands out in my mind was three of the girls in our pit crew talking with Marshall's wife Etta and her sister Alice. We were pitted next to Marhall and when the girls found out he placed bass for Johnny Cash they couldn't pull enough information from Etta.

The year was 1969. Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" had been recently released and on it was one track, "Girl From the North Country", that Johnny did a duet with Bob Dylan. Of course "Lay Lady Lay" was topping the charts then and when the girls found out that Marshall and Etta were at the recording sessions they were non stop questions. "What was he like. What did he do. Did you talk to him. etc." It was probably at this time that Bob Dylan was spending time with Johnny Cash and co-wrote "Wanted Man" with Johnny Cash.

The photos are from a 1972 AOF race at Gravois Mills, Missouri. Billy Seebold is driving, Marshall is holding up the boat with his back to us and his brother-in-law Jerry Pennington has the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall Grant and Carl Perkins

I remember a story Marshall told me not too long ago. We were talking about how much Carl Perkins liked boat racing. I remember that the last time I saw Carl here in Houston, we would talk about boat racing and the good ole days with Marshall, who he called "Gramps." Carl's band members did not know that he use to go to the boat races. On one occassion, his bus was traveling down 165, Carl happened to wake up just as they passed Ft Bulow Lake. Carl said, "Worlds Fastest Water." Everyone on the bus looked at him like he was crazy or either on some wild drugs because they had no idea what he was talking about. Carl just looked back at them and laughed.

The Johnny Cash Show was rehearsing for the upcoming TV show and all Carl could talk about was the upcoming trip to the 1970 Championships in Alexandria. Since Carl loved to go to the races so much, he helped Marshall out in the pits. Marshall got his money's worth out of Carl. They won 6 Championships and might has won one more, but Billy Seebold jumped the gun in one heat and was disqualified.

As you can see in this picture in Hydro Plane Quarterly, Carl is putting the equipment away after the races were completed. Carl told Marshall "I guess we are going to have to take these trophies back so they will believe that we won all this." I always liked it when Carl came to the races and the only thing that made it better was when Fluke came too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakeland. Florida 1974

We were blown out Saturday but managed to get all but a few heats run Sunday. Dieter Konig was there from Germany to help Marshall get his 8 cylinder Konig set up. As there was no testing at Lake Hollingsworth, we all went to a nearby lake to test. Tim Butts had brought down a new design on an Aerowing for us. We won with it on that big sweeping oval course where you can keep up the power, but it never worked good on the average course. My Dad ultimately gave it to Marshall to run his 8 cylinder on. That was a boat we named "HONCHO".

Marshall's 1000 cc Konig (two back to back C's) was running too rich, so Dieter fined tuned it by squeezing the dump tubes with a pair of pliers. It was amazing to watch Dieter work. Charlie Bailey was there to drive for Marshall. I think that was the only race that Charlie drove for him.

I was great to be pitted between two of alky's notable racers, Tim Butts and Marshall Grant.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "ring Of Fire" Movie

Was Great!! Especially When You Were Raised On That Music And Johnny..

Ws (fluke) Still Comes And Hangs Out With Us Drag Racing (odba) Usually Always At Jasper Tn For The Finals..

I Have The "super Stranger" That He Used To Run Back In The 70's And He Has Several Other Boats I Need To Get From Him "kitson" And A Stacker I Know Of.. He Still Drives That Lincon With "JOHNNY CASH Racing" On The Side Of It When He Comes To A Race..

Now That I Have Ended Up The The "SCOTTI" Back Up Boat Of Ceasar Scotti I May Put The Super Stranger On It.. Be A Good Piece..

WS is A Great Guy And Friend And Lots Of History There Too..

Post Thanks / Like

Default great stories guys

Haven't seen the movie yet. Was planning on taking Sunday off to see it, but had to work. Like to hear some more stories on Fluke. Did Carl ever pit for him?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria World Championships 1971

Duke, Bill Seebold Sr, Bill Seebold Jr, Jerry, Marshall Grant, 2 friends of Marshall's & Carl Perkins

Thread Information