Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Marshall Grant

Threaded View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North South Championships

Okay Marc, here is what I think.--The 1967 North South Championships were in Knoxville June 17-19. I left for North Carolina after I graduated, but I think it was probably in July. Six months or so ago I had been wondering who we got that stuff from so I went through all the Roostertails I had from those days to find an ad. No luck. So I'm thinking that my Dad must have met yours at the North South race in Knoxville. Us and Bruce Nicholson were the only ones from Texas. We didn't know anybody else. Your Dad won C hydro. So here's what I'm guessing. Your Dad may have posted a sign with equipment for sale, or my Dad approached yours about buying the C Konig after watching it run. In any case, I am convinced that the trailer and motor we ended up with came from your family. And that was the first time I ever saw autolite plugs in a racing motor. They came with that C Konig.

Joe tells me that Randy and my Dad talked all the time, but I don't remember that. In those days I didn't drink beer or spend time with the other racers and pit crews. I hung around with Tommy Wetherbee's daughter Marsha and my pit crew which were my age or younger (between 7-10 of us). So there's a lot more people my Dad knew personally than I did.

Would be cool if you could find that picture of you and Marshall.

The Roostertail cover is from that Knoxville race with me on the outside, Jerry Waldman to my left, Bob Hering inside of Waldman and Jerry Parrot on the far inside. The caption inside says it was the start of B Hydro, but it's really A Hydro. You can tell because that's a two pipe A Konig. B Konigs from those days had a forward facing can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information