Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great photo Duke

What's the story behind the lineup besides Billy bringing home the gold for Marshall? Billy won six the previous year, but I don't seem to have any Alexandria Town Talk clips from 1971.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria !972

Wayne, it was the year Billy won 6 championships, so that would make it 72. We are standing in front of Ring of Fire 2.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Fluke Story

Fluke Wanted A Dune Buggy I Had. We Had Everything Worked Out Eccept How To Get It From My Home In Orlando To Jackson Tn Where He Lived. He Called Me And Said They Had A New Tractor/trailer Rig To Haul The Equipment To The Shows And They Were Doing A Show Somewhere In South Fl. The Driver Was To Stop By Orlando On The Way Back. When The Driver Got To A Easy Point To Find, I Met Him And Led Him To My House. It Was In The Middle Of The Afternoon And You Can Imagine What Happen When A Big Semi Pulled Up In Front Of My House With Johnny Cash Show Painted On The Side. All The Nosey Women Within Site Were Hanging Out Their Front Doors Wondering What's Going On. I Got Out In The Middle Of The Street And Yelled, We're Having A Show Tonite At 7:30, We Will Start Selling Tickets At 6:30. Then The Driver And I Loaded The Dune Buggy In The Trailer And He Headed Out To Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default a good one

I can picture that scene. Joe Rome was going to post this some day about Papa Smith, but I couldn't wait. He can tell it again.

Our friend Louis Williams is an undertaker (retired) by trade. Mama Smith used to love it when Louis came to see them in his hearse. Mama Smith would ask, "Louis could you back it in the driveway? That will give the old biddies something to talk about for a month."

Back to Marshall

Marshall, Tim Butts and my Dad were promoting an annual race at Hot Springs, Arkansas based on a three to four hour show with top competitors from around the U.S. They were not promoters in the sense to make money, but to bring a good show to the spectators and to have some great racing. It was a challenge series pitting North, South, East and West against one another and the teams combining point totals for the Championship.

Jerry Waldman was captain for the North at the first event in which he was killed in one of the final races. He garnered enough points himself to lead the North to victory. Tim Butts was North Captain for the 2nd event in 1973, My Dad and Marshall were for the second time Captains for the South and East respectfully. I forgot who was Captain for the West this second year. I don't think we had any participation from the West Coast on the second one.
    In fact, the overall turnout was poor because somehow it got past everyone that the Eastern Divisionals were on for the same weekend. I think the scheduling error occurred because of last minute changes by one or both parties.

So here are a few photos of Marshall's rigs with Dan Kirts driving, and an excerpt of a letter from my Dad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Typical Dan..........

You can always tell which one Dan Kirts is..........he's the one in the fast boat with the farmer's tan. Guess it goes with living in Indiana.............
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got in from watching "I Walk the Line"

That is probably the most accurate representation of a musician's story that ever came out of Hollywood. Probably because it is like a film version of Johnny Cash's autobiography. What a great movie. It does a very good job of boiling down a portion of Johnny's life without seeming segmented. A very good story line. You could tell the writers watched the BBC documentary from San Quentin and listened to the album, because the movie has the same lighting and almost identical dialogue with the documentary. The actor who portrayed Marshall I thought did an excellent job, except Marshall didn't move around on stage like that. It is uncanny how the actors were able to so closely mimic the voices and facial expressions of Johnny and June. And Joaquin Phoenix slung his guitar around like the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of photos of the Johnny Cash Show when they came to Corpus Christi in 1974. Not good quality, but?????????

Hey Ron, some new members may not have seen your post about when Marshall, WS "Fluke" Holland, and Carl Perkins came to your Dad's shop. This would be a good place to repost it--if you have the inclination.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haven't Seen the Movie, Yet...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ghlight=hollis

Wayne, this is the thread you were talking about...

FYI: I found it from our "SEARCH" here on BRF...To find stuff, just type a name or something you want to find and it will list it for you, cool!!!

Everytime, I think about going to see I WALK THE LINE, I just have to take some deep breaths...In my mind, Johnny Cash can't be dead...He was always larger than life to me...same with June Carter Cash....I may have to go see the movie by myself, as I'm afraid I may cry a lot...

Not a day goes by that I don't listen to at least one Cash song in my car....Usually, Sunday Morning Coming Down, Beautiful Blue Eyes...or Ira Hayes...I've listen to those songs for 40 years....

I only wish we'd had the NET when those guys were involved with boat racing.....if for no other reason just so I could have read about the ACTION....

Great pictures, as usual, Wayne!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Cash Electrified

Ron, you reminded me of a story I told Marshall when Johnny Cash passed away. I told him how lucky I felt ot have been given the privilege of being allowed into the inner circle of the Cash Family. I was allowed to go backstage and visit with them on the bus. I will always be thankful to Marshall for those memories. I knew when John passed away, I would never feel the electricity that I felt when I was sitting watching John perform. One story in particular comes to mind. Wayne and I went to see Johnny performing in San Antonio. He opened the show with a couple of his standard songs (can't remember which, so long ago you know). The next song he did was "Remember the Alamo." The place went wild. You know that the convention center is very close to the Alamo. The whole place was ELECTRIFIED!!! When you thought that the crowd was about as wild as you have ever seen, he then sung the "Ballad of Ira Hayes." The Chief of the Pema Indians and Ira Hayes' niece was in the audience. You could feel the energy growing. John was a genious at getting that kind of energy out of a crowd. Marshall told me John could read the audience like that. Marshall said that he would have to pay attention to what he would tell Luther or Bob the next song would be. John would change the routine depending on the how the crowd reacted. They could put on a show. Thanks again Marshall for the memories!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wish I would have paid more attention

Back then we would just meet Marshall before the show and go backstage with him. We enjoyed the heck out of the performances, but I wished I would have stopped to take notice of where we were and look around. We just kind of took some of that stuff for granted. Like riding in the bus and talking to Marshall, Fluke, the Statler Brothers and Carl Perkins. All except Bob Wootton. He wasn't stuck up or arrogant, just quiet. I never thought about the Johnny Cash band being on top of the music world. Just went along for the ride and not thinking that some day it would end.

The only show I ever took my camera to was the one in Corpus Christi where I sat in the audience with about 20 of our neighbors. Marshall asked my Dad how many tickets he wanted and had them set up at the box office. Here's a couple more photos.

Thread Information