Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember whether we were in Houston or San Antonio, but there was some guy who didn't know who Joe and I were. Marshall was the road and stage manager, but this guy had some authority and he tried to run us off. Mother Maybell Carter told him to leave us alone. "These boys are with us", she said.

Before the show in Houston Joe and I went up to Marshall's room and we talked for awhile. We rode down to the show on the bus and after the show, Marshall and Joe went through the back of the building to get the bus. They left several guitars and Marshall's bass out on the street at the side of the building and everyone went back in to get on the bus. They left me alone, at night, downtown Houston to watch over the instruments. It seemed like forever before that bus showed up. These days, my throat would have been slit before that side door slammed shut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grant Racing

I always liked the names of Marshall's boats. "Ring of Fire" being the most famous runabout ever. But I also liked his hydro names as well. "Miss Folsom," and my favorite, "Sue." All of these names were associated with the music of Johnny Cash. There is a picture below of Marshall and Baldy in deep discussion. I really don't know who is selling who.

Post Thanks / Like

That last photo was from the first invitational race at Hot Springs. That's Billy Seebold in the life jacket driving for Marshall. 1972. That's my prop I had on the 1100cc hydro. I was out front when everything started shaking. I didn't know what had happened, but I had to kill the engine. That was the only time I ever lost a blade. That was the last invitational race we had at Hot Springs. Dan Kirts was driving for Marshall then.

Marshall my Dad and Tim Butts had put on that invitational race three years in a row. Their concept was similar to some of the stuff going on with USTS. More prize money, professional looking equipment and drivers, a good show for spectators, etc. Marshall retired from racing the following year if I remember correctly and I was out for the season so no more invitational races. When I came back in 1976 my Dad, Tim and myself started putting our efforts toward UIM racing. I wonder what would have happened had Marshall stayed in and we continued the APBA concept. He was a tireless worker. In spite of all he had to contend with being in Johnny Cash's band, he still made time to work on promoting top of the line Pro racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default After Waldman's Death...

Wayne,

Didn't Marshall kind of "BACK OFF" racing too, right after Jerry Waldman was killed in Hot Springs, Arkansas???

Went and saw "Walk the Line" this last weekend.....I liked it so much, I almost went back and watched the next showing.....I never knew June wrote "Ring of Fire" and I won't believe the song has anything to do with CHILLI....I wish they'd have sang "Where We're You When Thye Crucified My Lord"... I always loved June Carter Cash's voice in this song!!!! I dreamed of seeing her sing it, about a million times...

As a teacher I always said, for every negative comment a child received , it took two hundred positives to balance the negative....I inspired thousands of children to do better than they, themselves, had ever dreamed....50 of my old students are now teachers...It was a great job, I loved it.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-13-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No on backing off

Waldman's death had a profound effect on all of us, but Marshall continued with racing for a couple of more years. Jerry wouldn't have wanted it otherwise either. He was one of the original captains of the invitational.

It is remarkable that Marshall was able to field one of the tops teams at the height of Johnny Cash's career. Just remember, they had to rehearse all the old stuff, learn and rehearse the new stuff, go into the studio to record, do the TV show, show's on the road, deal with the media, and Marshall was road manager too. It is amazing how he would ever have time to get his engines and boats to perfection where they not only outran everybody most of the time, but were more than one heat wonders. The motors lasted, which is key to bringing home the gold. And he did this with at least 8 to 10 classes. I don't remember about the A class, but his boats entered B-F hydro and runabout and C Service hydro and runabout.

When Marshall moved to Hernando Mississippi he built a large stable for his horses and had a very nice place with lots of room, rolling hills and green grass for them to excercise and roam. I don't remember if he had thoroughbreds, quarter horses or both, but Randy was into that and track. Marshall didn't have time for everything so he got out of racing to do stuff with Randy. That's the only logical thing to do--spend time with your family. Maybe Randy can tell us about the horses. (I still have a photo of their dog Siberia I never sent them).

Go get a copy of "Live at Madison Square Garden". They recorded it in 1969 I think, but it is typical of the shows they put on back then and on TV. None of the performances of those days were identical, but this one will give you the sense of what it was like back then. On it is "Where were you when they crucified my Lord". I put on that CD when I am straightening up my racing room or hanging more pictures.

You're right about the teachers. They spend an awful lot of time with kids when they are in their formative years. Many I have forgotten but some leave a good impression that will last forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BTW Ron

June co-wrote "Ring of Fire" with Merle Kilgore (I think that's his name) awhile before her and John were married. There's something though that I can't remember about the Mexican horns. They came to June in a dream I think, and she insisted that they be part of the song.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe cleared up a mystery

All this time I was thinking that the guy who tried to kick us out of the show in Houston was with the Johnny Cash band. Marshall was the road manager and he always took care of his business, so how did this guy get the authority? Well, Joe says his name is Bill Bailey and he was a local disc jockey and was the announcer at Myers Speedway. It was close to where Joe lived and he was a regular out there. Bailey recognized him from the races.

That's where Joe met the editor of Motorsport, Harry Echols. Next thing Bailey knew, here is Joe up in the pressbox. When he spotted Joe backstage at the Johnny Cash show, he must have assumed Joe was a con man with a knack for getting behind the scenes at public events. He didn't believe us when we said we came with the band. Thanks to Mother Maybell she shut him up. Joe said Bailey is now a JP in Harris county and he doesn't want the opportunity to be in his court.

Post Thanks / Like

Our daughter Alexis is home from college and brought a Christmas tree last night. No happy holidays PC here. It's Christmas and Jesus or hit the road. Anyway, we were decorating the tree and listening to Johnny Cash and I thought...maybe there's some people that don't know there's a Johnny Cash Christmas CD. It's great. 2 CD's. The first one has Johnny and the band doing traditional Christmas songs. The second is a combination of a song and dialog of Johnny, June and members of the band swapping Christmas stories between songs. You can identify with their stories. Marshall and Fluke along with others that toured are all sitting around talking, laughing. It's a good Christmas CD.

Post Thanks / Like

I totaly agree. It is CHRISTMAS and always will be in my family. Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Cash and Marshall Grant Pics

Johnny Dortch sent me some pictures he took at a concert that Marshall invited him to. The picture of Johnny sitting on top of the K4 runabout was taken in Knoxville, TN. Thanks for the pictures, Johnny!!!!!!

Thread Information