Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default couldn't wait

Karen has Joe's computer tied up and he couldn't wait to get this story out and asked my help. It all started after Joe talked to Bill Boyes earlier about a trip he took to the NOA Nationals at Midland with the DeSilvas. Later today Joe talked with Marshall about it and this is what came to mind after thinking about that race.

Harry Bartolomei was a good set up man and had taken away a straightaway record the Marshall's D runabout held. Those records were falling pretty fast during that time period and so Marshall stayed over for the straighaway records on Monday.

Marshall had done some reworking of his prop and had a setup he felt could bring the record back. On the first run that DeSilva with a Merc hung on it was a beautiful sight as it laid out just perfect on the water. The return leg was very hairy. It was all Dickie Pond could do to keep it on the water, and Marshall was convinced he could not even do that all the way through the traps. But he did. Barely. As if the final bouy was the signal, Dickie and his DeSilva took off like a 747 bound for London.

As it climbed it began to loop around then spit Dickie out. Miraculously the runabout landed upright and made a 90 toward the pits. It was still running at an idle as it came right next to Marshall's pit area. He waded out and shut it off.

After Dickie quit tumbling and took stock of himself, he began to swim toward shore. As he got close he hollered "Marshall....Marshall!" Marshall was worried and thought to himself, "What's the matter with Dickie?" He headed over to him and Dickie stayed down. As quietly and he could and still be heard he said to Marshall, "I've lost my shoes, my pants, and my underwear. Get me something to wear." Joe didn't say whether Marshall got a big grin on his face or not, but his brother-in-law Jerry Pennington had a bathing suit handy that he took to Dickie.

Post Thanks / Like

In the offshore circuit, we got to meet just about everybody...from movie actors, to singers, to politicians, to wrestlers. The vast majority were there, primarily, for "photo ops" and publicity. I was aware of the Johnny Cash-Marshall Grant connection after reading the various articles back in the 60's, but never realised the full extent of Marshall's involvement in the sport...rather than as a poseur. This thread is a great tribute to the guy in that it shows his real commitment.... and the fact that in spite of his fame and success...he achieved the greatest title of all.... He was a real "Boat Racer".

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's right T2x

He really loved the sport. The only reason he gave it up was for his family. He had to quit driving as the band's popularity increased. Then when his son Randy got deeply involved with horses he decided to sell out. All of his time had been spent with the band and racing. But even though Randy came to pit for him, it was still Marshall's baby. He told me that he had to sell everything. If he kept any equipment, he might be tempted to get back in. I don't know if he kept any old motors or boats that were obsolete though. But he still loves to tell old boat racing stories. He told Joe a couple of years ago he spotted the Seebold's trailer at a Cracker Barrel and stopped. Marshall said he and Billy spent more than an hour talking racing before they had to get back on the road. Can't get it out of your blood.

BTW T2x--Do you know Alan Butler? He used to race offshore with outboards a few years back.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracker Barrel

Funny, I have met a lot of people at Cracker Barrel in my travels for boat racing. Seems ironic Marshal would see Seebold there. Not only have I met other boat racers there, but lots of racers from other sports as well. Cracker Barrel should put a Racers Special on the menu !

Wayne, keep the stories coming, we are getting hungry for more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracker Barrel

They don't have Cracker Barrels in California. (Workman's comp is too high, at least that is what I was told)...

When I went to Texas for the Lone Star Boat Racers Reunion, I met Joe Rome and Wayne at the Cracker Barrel, just assumed that is where you were supposed to meet....... When Bill Boyes and I went to the Winter Nationals, we ate there daily....Sometimes, twice...

My two favorties....MEAT LOAF...and the fact that you can order bacon by he strip...like 10, if you want them...

Yes, Wayne, keep your pictures and stories coming...

Who got Marshall's Sercice "C" stuff??? I'm actually loking for a Service "C" to race at DePue, 2007, no use gong to the Reunion, without racing...Mayer says I can run his 13 Krier Runabout......need me a motor...I can always borow a prop....Ain't running no hydro, though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    BTW T2x--Do you know Alan Butler? He used to race offshore with outboards a few years back.
    Yes I do...in fact I know two Alan Butlers who raced offshore outboards...I believe the one you are referring to is the guy who raced with Gary Balough... out of Texas.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

T2x--I don't know Gary, but I'm guessing you are right. The Alan I am speaking of lives in Corpus and has a lake house a couple of coves over from me. He won a National or World Championship several years ago and was sponsored by the syndicated cartoon strip "Blondie".

Now the rest of the story....

Joe had run into Billy Seebold at Baytown two years ago when the champ boats were running there. Billy took the afternoon off from the pits to relive the alky days with Joe and told him about running into Marshall. So the next day or so Joe called Marshall and this is how that meeting came about.

Marshall was cruising down some interstate and happened to glance over toward the Cracker Barrel. To his surprise he saw the Bud van with the Seebold's rig splashed across the side. Marshall whipped over to the first exit and turned around to check it out. As he drove into the parking lot, he saw the rig was starting to pull away. Quickly he swerved his Cadillac to a screeching halt in the path of the 18 wheeler. The driver's mind began to race. What the....a hijacking?...Irate husband?...What??? Marshall went up to the driver and asked. "Where's Billy?" The driver,very relieved, said that he was still in the restaurant. So Marshall goes in to find a very surprised and pleased Billy Seebold. They spent the next hour and a half talking.

That's another good thing about the Cracker Barrels. As busy as they are, they don't try to rush you out to fill the table. At the reunion, I told Ron and Joe, "Hey, we better get out of here before we have to ask for the lunch menu." We were in there a good hour after we ate breakfast ourselves. Between them, Ron and Joe must know every important outboard event and participants from Modesto to Lakeland going back to the fifties.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Record

Wayne You Only For Got One Thing . Marshall And Dick Pone Got The Record . 77plus Mph. It Was One Of The Funnyest Stories Marshall Has Ever Told Me.marshall Loved His Boat Racing Days And The Boat Racing Family In Alky Division. Thanks For Telling The Story Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got my book

Great reading.

I found a couple of photos of Dick Pond in Marshall K4. One was at the North South Championships and ironically Dick Pond was the "General Grant" for accumulating the most points for the North and Dub Parker was "General Lee". I don't know what Marshall Grant thought about his boat being entered and winning for the North, as he was a southener. There must have been a little kidding about that in the pits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Composite Specialties

Default North-South

Wayne, was this the same Noth-South championship that was held in Burlington, NC back in the late 60's or early 70's? I know we attended severeral races there and one in particular was a record run where Jimmy Aderholt attempted to set a record with his marchetti. I also remember Bill Fails there attempting to set a record in his runabout.

Thread Information