Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North South

Wayne, That is me driving the boat behind Dick. I was driving Joe Poole's 44 Merc, who was a Mercury dealer in Atlanta. I can't remember where it was, but maybe at Lake Spivey in 1964. The next picture, I believe, was in Knoxville, where several North South races were held. The other boat F 17 belonged to Sheriff Elsie Hatton from Hazelhurst, Ga. He may have been driving it, but often Melvin Cooper drove it.

Composite Specialties

Default Burlington, NC

Ralph, did you ever attend any of the North-South races at Lake Burlington, NC? I think they were NOA races back then.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Marc, that is the same North-South. It was an NOA sanctioned event and it was held in different venues. I went to one in 1967 at Knoxville. I believe there was one at Alexandria, and the one before this magazine article was held in Chattanoga I think. Seems like I remember glancing at an old article of one in Michigan or Minnesota as well. When I raced in Knoxville in 67 I don't remember having to pit with the South. In the article with the picture, it said that the teams from the North pitted on one side and the South on the other with a gap in between.

And Marc. Did you know of a guy from North Carolina with a number of Z 11 or Z with some ones? I drove to Greenville to pick up a trailer with Dubinski's and some Konigs. A 4 carb C and cast iron A among them. I can't remember the name of the driver who we got the stuff from.

Hey Ralph....I saw some other pics of you and some racing in the early 60's. Fun reading. I'll try to find it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an ad in the March/April 1971 "Roostertail" Marc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Composite Specialties

Default Burlington

Wayne, I have a picture of my dad's boat, D looper, in the Greensboro, NC parade promoting that Burlington race with the same sertoma queen posing with the boat. I will find it and scan it and post if.

My Dad's number was Z-11 for about 30 years. When did you pick up those parts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The summer of Love--1967

I had just graduated from high school. The only friend I had that could help me drive was not a good driver. He scared me so bad, I only let him drive about 30 miles for the whole trip. But we listened to good music all the way. The Doors "Light my fire", Procol Harum "A whiter shade of Pale", Scott McKenzie "If you're going to San Francisco", Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe", but they played "Silence is golden" every 15 minutes. And all the way through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia the DJ's kept talking about a regional artist that had a record that they thought would be a hit. They wouldn't shut up about how popular it was growing but they weren't playing it. We didn't hear the song until we were in Tennessee on the way back. It was Bobby Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe". Sometimes when you hear that much hype, you are disappointed when it finally comes around. But this song did live up to the DJ's chatter. And whenever I hear Johnny Cash do "Starkville County Jail" reminds me of sitting on the grass in front of the first Kentucky Fried Chicken I ever saw in Lake Charles, La. They had no dining room, so we sat on the grass eating fried chicken and picking flowers that were growing around us. Flower power. Peace brother .

That would be so weird if that was your Dad's equipment Marc. What years did he race and what boats and motors did he have. I don't exactly remember the number, but I know it was a Z and I seem to remember 1's.

Composite Specialties

Default Boats and Motors

Randy raced from the mid 50's to around the late 70's. During that time he had three boat numbers, Z-25, Z-11 and Z-1. Most of the boats were Marchetti's, canvas and wood decks. For the most part, he always had Quincy loopers but he did have a Konig "C" that he raced for a while but ended up getting rid of it, don't remember when. The Z-25 Marchetti was natural wood with white front decks. The Z-11 and Z-1 boats were Marchetti's with natural wood and carolina blue front decks.

We raced at Lakeland, Alex, Depue alot and many more road trips. I was so young that I just remember waking up in the motor home when we arrived and started helping out in the pits.

On a side note, I use to have a picture of me as a kid, maybe 2 or 3 years old, sitting on Marshall Grants lap at Depue, under the shelter. My dad was talking with him and Marshall was talking to me, that is all I remember of that.

Post Thanks / Like

We mostly wanted the trailer and the C Konig. The trailer we had was too small. There were one or two Dubinski boats with natural wood finish and bow colors were black on white. In my mind I picture a black lightning bolt on each side of the bow. The C Konig was a 4 carb with short megaphones. It was the following year that the rotary valve Konigs hit the U.S. I'll see if I can find a picture of the trailer before we painted it.

Do you have a photo of your Dad to post? We weren't at the house very long, but I remember a tall slim man with some gray in his hair. Very nice guy, and the neighborhood had lots of tall trees. I've been racking my brain to recall some details and a little is coming back. Now I'm trying to remember the town. It had Green in the name and I had thought it was Greenville, but it could have been Greensborough. I will look at a map tonight to see if I can recall some of the nearby towns. Heck, I don't know why I shouldn't remember. I was only there briefly 39 years ago.

Composite Specialties

Default Parade for Burlington Race

Wayne, here was the D Marchetti with the Quincy looper on the back with the same race Queen in the Greensboro parade for the 1971 North-South regatta at Lake Burlington.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Marc--I looked at a map and we went through Charlotte so it was Greensboro we went to in "67. I had a Marchetti at the North/South in Knoxville that year and it was a little bit long for an A. Maybe we didn't have a trailer full of Dubinskis. I looked up the race in a "Roostertail" and I found your Dad had won a race. B hydro I think. I'll post it soon. Be Busy for a few days.

Thread Information