Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North South Championships

Okay Marc, here is what I think.--The 1967 North South Championships were in Knoxville June 17-19. I left for North Carolina after I graduated, but I think it was probably in July. Six months or so ago I had been wondering who we got that stuff from so I went through all the Roostertails I had from those days to find an ad. No luck. So I'm thinking that my Dad must have met yours at the North South race in Knoxville. Us and Bruce Nicholson were the only ones from Texas. We didn't know anybody else. Your Dad won C hydro. So here's what I'm guessing. Your Dad may have posted a sign with equipment for sale, or my Dad approached yours about buying the C Konig after watching it run. In any case, I am convinced that the trailer and motor we ended up with came from your family. And that was the first time I ever saw autolite plugs in a racing motor. They came with that C Konig.

Joe tells me that Randy and my Dad talked all the time, but I don't remember that. In those days I didn't drink beer or spend time with the other racers and pit crews. I hung around with Tommy Wetherbee's daughter Marsha and my pit crew which were my age or younger (between 7-10 of us). So there's a lot more people my Dad knew personally than I did.

Would be cool if you could find that picture of you and Marshall.

The Roostertail cover is from that Knoxville race with me on the outside, Jerry Waldman to my left, Bob Hering inside of Waldman and Jerry Parrot on the far inside. The caption inside says it was the start of B Hydro, but it's really A Hydro. You can tell because that's a two pipe A Konig. B Konigs from those days had a forward facing can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Composite Specialties

Default Amazing

Wayne, that is just amazing how things come around from the past. I remember your dad from when I was a kid. I always wanted to know who my dad was talking to. when I was a small kid, I met Bill Seebold and Jerry Waldman and got their autographs. It is such a small world to think that you probably ended up with my dad's equipment at one time.

I will see if I can find the pic of me and Marshall Grant. I just purchased his book this past weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Default North South Championship

Wayne,

Back in the late 50's, our next door neighbor, who was about 8 years older than me, started going to races with my dad. He and his dad and brother raced with us for several years and were quite good. They were Lee and Bobby Little and there dad Fred. They also had a friend who raced with them for several years in the late 60's named Keith Taylor. Keith also drove my dads equipment in 66 and 67 when I was enjured. The Little's and Keith Taylor were also at that North South race in Knoxville. Check the results for "A" and "B" hydro.

Denny

Post Thanks / Like

Denny- I remember Lee and Bobby Little as well as Keith Taylor. Lee's number was T 58 I think with blue, yellow and white on the deck. They were all good drivers. But, if you look close, they are listted under results from El Dorado. The North South results ran over to the top of the next column and I didn't want to just crop out the rest of the page so I posted the whole page.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Original FA

[QUOTE=
    The Roostertail cover is from that Knoxville race with me on the outside, Jerry Waldman to my left, Bob Hering inside of Waldman and Jerry Parrot on the far inside. The caption inside says it was the start of B Hydro, but it's really A Hydro. You can tell because that's a two pipe A Konig. B Konigs from those days had a forward facing can.[/QUOTE]

Wayne,

We still have an 1969 FA Konig in working order. It may be missing the original pipes. Malcom Hardin rebuilt it sometime in the late 1980's and we ran it one last time then. It had over 150 pounds of compression per cylinder and would not shut-off on shore until the spark wires and fuel lines were removed!! Collectors stay away, it is not for sale!!!

DWW

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on to it David...but maybe you could post a picture.

Marc--The first photo is the one of the C Konig we bought and the second has the trailer in the background. I don't have any pics from before we refinished it. It held 4 boats. The motor that my Dad is rigging up is a cast iron block A Konig. The head had rounder edges and was polished to a shiny smooth finish. I think it was an older motor than '66 or '67 and we probably got it in the same deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Only part way through the book...

.....anyone who thinks its another rehash is sadly mistaken. Marshall tells it like it was and in his own words. After the basic opening chapters which lays down how everyone got together and how things tended to work out that led to eventual fantastic success for the group, the narrative really puts the reader in Marshall's shoes (almost--there is really no way to describe some of the scenes as one would feel in his shoes.) It is all Marshall telling the story. But there come that point that those who have spent time with him can see him talking. It is Marshall's words and you can visualize his mannerisms and hear his unique accent (a mix of North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and places in between.) It is a story of love, dedication, extreme perseverance, constant pressure, and exhilaration combined with amazement of what they were doing. And that's only 1/3rd the way through.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Only part way through the book...

.....anyone who thinks its another rehash is sadly mistaken. Marshall tells it like it was and in his own words. After the basic opening chapters which lays down how everyone got together and how things tended to work out that led to eventual fantastic success for the group, the narrative really puts the reader in Marshall's shoes (almost--there is really no way to describe some of the scenes as one would feel in his shoes.) It is all Marshall telling the story. But there come that point that those who have spent time with him can see him talking. It is Marshall's words and you can visualize his mannerisms and hear his unique accent (a mix of North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and places in between.) It is a story of love, dedication, extreme perseverance, constant pressure, and exhilaration combined with amazement of what they were doing. And that's only 1/3rd the way through.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I found this today.........

...........a rare photo of Marshall in a hydro. Well....at least he was in it a second ago. This was taken at DePue in 1972. I think Billy was probably coming from an OPC race, and Marshall was testing before qualifying heats began.

Post Thanks / Like

Default great timing wayne

I talked to Marshall today and told him about his picture at Depue.He said Billy was racing some other race in opc and wouldnt be there in time to test.So marshall was the test pilot.He said the book is going great ,he spent 3 days in Nashville on radio shows and book signing. He was really happy about Tommy Cash calling him and told him how good the book was written.He told Marshall it was the best book he has ever read about Johnny and his music.That really made Marshall very happy. Has anybody else read the book.

Thread Information