Thread: Part 24 - Dr. Wayne R. (Doc) Ingalls (1897 - 1979), Dr. Tommy Ingall

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Part 24 - Dr. Wayne R. (Doc) Ingalls (1897 - 1979), Dr. Tommy Ingall

INGALLS RACING FAMILY

From Craig Ingalls:

Dad also won the national total in 1953 and ran the number US-1 for The 1954 racing season.

Dad (Tommy) collected over 350 trophies in his 21 years of racing.

Now, 62 years later after Tommy retired from racing, his son Craig and grandson Nick started racing in the antique class using Doc’s vintage PR 65 engine. Craig drives the hydroplane and Nick drives the runabout, keeping with the red and white checker board on their boats that were used by Tommy. In Nick’s first racing event he came in 3rd at the 2019 DePue Nationals. Nick and Craig are now committed as they have purchased another Johnson PR and 3 Evanrude service motors. Nick has a son (Scott) who will be turning 9 in October. You never know, maybe we will have 5 generations of the Ingalls racing team.

My Dad (Tommy Ingalls) started racing in 1935 when he was 14 yrs old. He came from a racing family. His Dad( who everyone knew as “Doc”) had been racing for years and bought Tommy an A hydroplane and motor for his 14th birthday. I believe it was a Neal boat and Elto motor. Tommy’s mom, Laura Ingalls also raced as well as his sister, Ruthie. Tommy raced in the A class a few years before stepping into Docs’ C hydro. He did some runabout racing in his younger years but the hydroplane was his passion. Doc stopped racing not long after Tommy started so he could concentrate on building the engines, Johnson KR’s and Johnson PR65’s. Tommy raced until going into the Army Aircorp during WWll. He started back racing just after the war ended. Tommy went back to college to become a dentist like his dad and graduated in 1954. He continued racing through his college years driving a prototype hydroplane built by Ralph and Bill DeSilva around 1952. In 1953 Tommy amassed the most points of all amateur classes and won the Colonel Green Roundhill trophy. This was quite an honor as he was going to dental school and racing at the same time. Tommy moved his family (Violet his wife who also raced a few times, and his 3 kids, Linda, Sharon, and Craig) From Los Angeles to Bakersfield California in 1954. Tommy raced for 2 more years as he was building his dental practice. At that time he said it was time to quit racing in fear of damaging his hands and his dental career.

Nick and I own Ingalls Machine Inc, an industrial machine and welding shop. I started the business in 1980 when Nick was only 3mo old. I had him at work with me about every weekend as he was growing up. It was understandable that he would want to work in n the machining industry since he had gotten such an education growing up there When Nick was 18 he raced stock cars at the Mesa Marin 1/2mile asphalt track with the High School racing series. The kids built the car and then raced it. I had a quarter midget growing up and I guess that’s what got my racing blood flowing, and of course Dad telling me about so many of his races. I started racing motorcycles on a TT Scrambles track starting at 16 yrs old. In my 20’s I raced SCCA Solo 1 in a 1964 Corvette, and I raced radio control boats for 10 years along with my Dad Tommy. Our most memorable weekend of racing Dad won B hydro overall, I got 2nd in B hydro and I won the A hydro class. Grandpa Doc was still with us and we called him from a phone booth the give him the good news. It brought a twinkle to his eyes. He passed the next day. He was glad that Dad and I were racing, even if it was radio control. Racing has really always been in the Ingalls family blood. I glad that Nick and I were able to join the racing family of the great friends that we have made in DePue and in Washington.

Dr. Wayne R. Ingalls and Tommy Ingalls: Scrap Book Pictures
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...-Book-Pictures

Thank you to Craig Ingalls and Ron Hill for information on the Ingalls family.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Karl Williams, Sr.; 11-27-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add link to scrapbook photos
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images