Thread: Part 29 - Harry Bennett

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Part 29 - Harry Bennett

Harry started his racing career in 1956 and retired from racing in 1970. He started in class BSR and later added BSH. He built his own boats and one in particular did not turned out to his liking. Changes on the second and subsequent boats went in a positive and acceptable direction.

Harry dropped the stock classes in favor of ARH. After several trips to DePue for the APBA Nationals Harry put together a second and third place finish to win the 1968 ARH Championship. Two of the main competitors were Jerry Waldman and Bob Herring sponsored by AC Spark Plug Company. There were 48 entries in the ARH class and only the top two competitors in the elimination heats were eligible for the final two heats.

Harry and his family attended DePue for several years before everything came together in 1968. In the years prior to 1968 Harry took stock on the driving styles of Jerry Waldman and Bob Herring. Vacations from work always included being at DePue for the first week camping with his family. He remembers one year it rained so hard everything inside their tent was soaked except for their young son as his bed was covered with a waterproof cover. Inside the tent it misted rain continually because the storm outside was severe.

The following week the NOA World Championships were scheduled at Midland, Michigan on Sanford Lake. Harry placed second at this race. I attended that race and Jerry Waldman, Bob Herring & Harry Bennett were well ahead of the rest of the field.

Harry ran his conventional hydro (prior to the pickle fork designs) of his own design. The boat bottom was built to incorporate a Venturi effect. (speeding up the air flow at one point, reducing pressure, with pressure increasing after the constriction) The end of the constricted area occurred where Harry would be located while driving this boat. Any way you look at the design this black decked # 76 hydro with natural finish on the side decks worked.

Harry also won the CBF nationals several time and the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) 2-3 times winning a Bulova watch each time plus the generous payout provided by the CNE. Harry was present during the air show at the CNE when one of the planes failed to come out of a loop and crashed. Something you never forget.

In Florida during one of his successful years Harry raced in Florida for a competition record. As Harry passed the last marker on the record course in the lead the lower unit decided it was too tired ending his record run.

Harry’s working career was spend with Good Year Tire on Lakeshore, Toronto, Ontario. At first he was involved in production then transferred to supervisor of the lab with what could be described as a “perfect job”. After a combined 28 years serving in two major positions with Good Year Harry retiring.

Harry’s personal memories from his racing years are all friends he met along the way. He especially remembers Art and Betty Pugh, Knoxville, Tennessee.

My first encounter with Harry Bennett was at my first boat race at Dunville, Ontario July 10, 1966. I had a perfect view of all the boats - last place does that for you.
    Harry lead every lap then did the same at the CNE the same year. I had the same view.

Photo below (Jack Abel.jpg (81.9 KB)):
    L - Jack Abel, R- Harry Bennett 1968.

As told best by Jack Abel’s son Ted:

Karl Harry and I think 1968 as that was the year he won APBA National in A Outboard Hydro. My Dad Jack Abel (1916 to 1972 age 56) was already blind in that photo as you can see Harry Bennett was holding him by the elbow. Harry Bennett is 91 now.
    Yes Karl my Dad did race out of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club (RCYC) in Late 30’s 40’s to early 50’s before there was a Canadian Boating Federation. He raced with Des Simonds, Harry Red Mitchel and Charlie Turnbull to name a few. Charlie borrowed Jack Abel’s Outfit and it went out of control over the Toronto Waterfront Break-wall. The KG Engine came off as the boat went over the break-wall. There raced for merchandise such as Lamps, Pillows and whatever. These 2 engine used to be at the cottage hung up in the boathouse. He had to throw the lever to throw the stater control to turn 2nd cylinder on. Rope pull of course. I believe the engine were Johnson’s open flywheel of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Ron Bennet thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Bennet liked this post

Thread Information