Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1996-2002 Johnson 25/35hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder (Mirage) rev. limiter delete

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1996-2002 Johnson 25/35hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder (Mirage) rev. limiter delete

I'm wanting to do a rev. limiter delete on my 1997 35hp Johnson 2 stroke 3 cylinder. The OEM power pack pack # is 584823. I talked with Clark at CDI and they do not make one for this application. This limiter is limited at 6200RPM. I've seen some post on here in the past regarding similar power packs and folks wanting to do this or did it. From what I understand (in talking with CDI) you could cut the orange wire and the orange wire with the black strip on it. One of those (can't remember) you have to feed with the 12V purple wire. I guess a couple questions I have: 1) if you take out the rev. limiter, do I loose FAST start and SLOW mode? FAST start I can live without, SLOW mode I would rather keep. 2) Anyone have any experience, guidance, thoughts?
    This is an optical system.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a hold of Tim Kurcz
    He built one several years ago. It was posted on here

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have talked with Tim (quite a bit) he hadn't figured it out either. He suggested I call CDI, so I did and that's when I talked with Clark.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can find ANY 3-cylinder OMC powerpack with either a higher rev limit or no rev limit, you should be able to re-wire it to run your 35hp "Mirage" engine... It's basically 1/2 of an OMC V6 on paper. It's possible you'll need to loose the FAST start and SLOW mode. The factory OMC service manuals & their included wiring diagrams are excellent resource material for this sort of information. Pay close attention to the firing order as you may need to swap the intended cylinder coil wiring to match up a different powerpack.

Pictured below is the enging Tim Kurcz built. It was the Mirage 3-cyl adapted to an OMC 15A tower & gearcase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 25XS; 4 Days Ago at 05:36 AM. Reason: added picture

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

25XS, thanks for the insight. I'll do some research on your idea (different power pack) and see what I can come up with. I have conversed with Tim quiet a bit on his little "Mirage" engine he built. These little engines can can put out some pretty good numbers. That 6200 RPM rev. limiter is the achilles heel right now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is another aftermarket powerpack manufacturer called Arieltek selling on Amazon & ebay. I know they have a programmable rev limit on the SeaDoo brain, so maybe they would build you a higher limit powerpack or sell one without the limit? They are (Italian?) and seem hard to get in touch with other than the resellers who likely can't help you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've heard and seen that brand. They are about half the price of an OEM Power pack. Not sure if that is due to the mark up on the OEM ones, or the quality is lacking one the Arieltek brand (get what you pay for type thing). I'll have to see what I can find out on them. Thanks!

Thread Information