Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Matt Dagostino, Age 63, Bowie, Maryland

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matt Dagostino, Age 63, Bowie, Maryland

Thanks to Matt for providing his racing history with photos. 2nd thanks goes to his friend Dave Riser for providing additional information and photos. By Karl Williams
    Matt Dagostino, Age 63, Bowie, Maryland
    1 - WHEN DID YOU START RACING?
    I started racing ASH and ASR in 1971at the age of 12 years old. I was, at the time, living with my stepfather Bill Keeland in New Hampshire, who was active in all forms of motor sports. I had never been in a boat before my stepfather introduced me to Stock Outboard racing. As of 2021, this is my 50
    th year of powerboat racing in APBA.

2 WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO RACE HYDROPLANES AND/OR RUNABOUTS?
    When I began racing at age 12, I raced both runabouts and hydroplanes (ASH and ASR) and quickly realized I preferred hydroplanes over the much rougher riding runabouts.

3 WHAT CLASSES DID YOU RUN?
    Over the years as I got older, I ran nearly every class that Stock Outboard had to offer and won multiple national championships and highpoint championships along the way in addition to being inducted in the Hall of Champions of APBA several times. Additionally, I have raced in the pro category where I have been national champion in OSY400 along with C Service Hydro. In addition, I have run in the modified classes of APBA along the way

4 WHAT MAKE OF HYDROPLANE AND/OR RUNABOUT DID YOU RACE?
    Over the years I have raced hydroplanes constructed by John Yale, Shannon Bowman, Leigh Furnal, George Price, Dewey Anderson, Clark Maloof, Sam Hemp, George Luce, Ron Hedlund, Ralph & Bill DeSilva

5 WHAT DIVISION DID YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?
    I chose the Stock Outboard category as my primary division on APBA because that is what I was introduced to by my stepfather. Additionally, in the past the stock outboard category has had a much larger base, hence racing around the different parts of the countries has been a bit easier than the other categories in APBA. I also found it easier for both of my children to compete within the Stock
    Outboard division for the same reason.

6 BEST RACING ACHIEVEMENT AND WINS?
    My single biggest racing achievement came in 1989 when I won 3 National Championships in Lawrenceville, PA along with clinching 2 Mercury Challenge World Championship titles. Other memorable wins were in 1999 when I was driving for the late and great Wes Jones at Depue, IL, winning C Service Hydro and placing in all 3 other antique classes.

7 BEST MEMORIES OF RACING AND FUN MOMENTS? Some of my best memories of racing include:

• - The 1988 Wakefield, MI national championships when I won the C Stock Hydro class beating the factory team of B&H hydros led by Sam Hemp. Also this year, my daughter, Val, was born into the world of boat racing.
    • - Another fun fact is that all of my children (Val, Justin and Son-In-Law Steve) have been multiple time national champions and have all been inducted into the APBA Hall of Champions.
      8 IF YOU WERE NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED WHO HELP YOU THE MOST BE SUCCESSFUL IN RACING?
      My step father Bill Keeland helped me along the way and showed me the basic skills of maintaining the race equipment. Some of the major people that help me build and maintain the race engines are: The late and great Harold Barnes, George Price, Jerry Davids, Bob Goller.

9 BEST LIFE LONG FRIEND YOU MET IN YOUR RACING CAREER? Gary U.S.Pond has been a friend since 1974 and also Dave Riser has been close to my family since we met in the early 1990s.
      10 PROPS BRAND THAT WORKED BEST FOR YOU?
      Over the years, I have worked with several prop builders. In the 1970s Ron Hill and Vic Brinkman were two of the premier prop builders in that era. Since then, Craig Dewald has been our primary propeller manufacturer.

Photo: L-R - daughter Val, son-in-law Steve, Rocky & Mat

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-28-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Thread Information