Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Remember When Mercury Marine Supported Boat Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocky Stone from Willamina, Oregon: One of The Greatest Outboard Racers

Rocky won C Racing Runabout, three years in a row, at the William Randolph Hearst Regatta, In Long Beach, California.

The name Rocky Stone, from Willamina, Oregon, brought a Silence in our family for years. His name was like a "GOD" to us as my dad raced C Racing Runabout but never beat him.

Rocky had a couple of DAMN good C Service motors and Marshall grant wanted to buy them but Rocky would not sell them. Marshall played the Bass Fiddle for Johnny Cash.

John called Rocky, and said, "Rocky, Marshall Grant is the best Bass Fiddle player in the world, and I would do anything for him. He'd like to own your C Service Motors, would you sell the to me?" Rocky sold the motors to Johnny.

In 1977, at the Bakersfield Nationals, I won straight heats in D Runabout, after the race Rocky came to our pits and told my brother and I, "That was greatest piece of driving a runabout he'd ever seen." His comment brought tears to my brother's and my eye's. I think Rocky knew how much the Hill Family respected him.

That compliment from Rocky was the greatest compliment I ever received as a driver.

PICTURED: 60-42 Six Stud, "Hex Head" Evinrude Racing C. My dad had this motor, Fred Hauenstenin's dad had one, Bud Wiget may have had two and Doc Jones had one. Only 50 were made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-21-2023 at 10:49 AM.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Rocky won C Racing Runabout, three years in a row, at the William Randolph Hearst Regatta, In Long Beach, California.

The name Rocky Stone, from Willamina, Oregon, brought a Silence in our family for years. His name was like a "GOD" to us as my dad raced C Racing Runabout but never beat him.

Rocky had a couple of DAMN good C Service motors and Marshall grant wanted to buy them but Rocky would not sell them. Marshall played the Bass Fiddle for Johnny Cash.

John call Rocky, and said, "Rocky, Marshall Grant is the best Bass Fiddle player in the world, and I would do anything for him. He'd like to own your C Service Motors, would you sell the to me?" Rocky sold the motors to Johnny.

In 1977, at the Bakersfield Nationals, I won straight heats in D Runabout, after the race Rocky came to our pits and told my brother and I, "That was greatest piece of driving a runabout he'd ever seen." His comment brought tears to my brother's and my eye's. I think Rocky knew how much the Hill Family respected him.

That compliment from Rocky was the greatest compliment I ever received as a driver.

PICTURED: 60-42 Six Stud, "Hex Head" Evinrude Racing C. My dad had this motor, Fred Hauenstenin's dad had one and Doc Jones had one. Only 50 were made.
    Rocky Stone was from Region 10 and so was I. I had watched him race many times. Hal Tolford, john Laird, Red Taylor and others had great races with Rocky Stone. Those were the good ole’ days.
    Dean Hobart

Thread Information