Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Stock Outboard Racing’s Future

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now what does that HRL Outboard Series look like?

Utility (all sit down rides BTW) GT15, GT30, T750, T850
    Hydro N - engines up to 15ci restricted, A - engines up to 15ci, B - engines up to 20ci, C - engines up to 30ci?

I can see a mix of 2 and 4 stoke engines in some classes and some classes with just 2 strokes and some 4 strokes. How many classes do you actually create that people will participate in. I haven’t given the hydro end a lot of thought. It’s going to take a collective effort of ideas to come up with something that works. Some things that need to happen, no low production parts allowed so no competitive advantage is realized. Possible compression limit for some classes. Just a lot of different things to create a level playing field for everyone that is also cost effective. Hopefully others will add to this. There have been some spirited discussions on hydroracer in past on class reorganization in stock outboard.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So looks like the 15, 20 and 30 hp 4 strokes have been approved for utility racing in APBA. NBRA has approved 20 hp 4 strokes for hydro and utility. We’ll see if APBA approves new motors for hydro this week. So looking at potential designs or ideas for a sit down hydro I think this would be a start, a blown up version of the HARM boat is what I have been really thinking about, front cowling gives room for the hotfoot.Name:  B8EDAFA3-5510-4F43-BBF8-EE1DE7D0D4EB.png
Views: 263
Size:  579.3 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews75 View Post
    So looks like the 15, 20 and 30 hp 4 strokes have been approved for utility racing in APBA. NBRA has approved 20 hp 4 strokes for hydro and utility. We’ll see if APBA approves new motors for hydro this week. So looking at potential designs or ideas for a sit down hydro I think this would be a start, a blown up version of the HARM boat is what I have been really thinking about, front cowling gives room for the hotfoot.Name:  B8EDAFA3-5510-4F43-BBF8-EE1DE7D0D4EB.png
Views: 263
Size:  579.3 KB
    A quick follow up: Sit down hydros have been tested before with little success, primarily due to the inability to weight shift over the turning fin. The safest existing solution is the lay down boat, used mostly in 850MH DSH, and all the Alky hydro classes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it difficult to get weight out of the cockpit and over the fin if you are lying down ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro Outboard hydros are sit down boats. You need a different boat to make it work, has to be scaled up, different angle of attack etc. I have a pretty good idea what the boat needs to be and you won’t need to shift weight at all, you need to balance the boat. I also believe 60+ mph is achievable with a hydro and the 20 hp 4 stroke.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I just thought of with the Merc 20 hp and likely the Tohat (15hp the same also I believe). These motors flex (kick under) when accelerating. You may want to watch video on a tin boat to see and modify your engine setup accordingly. I would video the motor to see what it is doing when planning/accelerating. A kickout bracket may negate this action. Something to be aware of. Not sure if any other 4 strokes have the same absorption mounting system. This is how the manufacturers were able to cut so much weight off of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Stroke Thrust Brackets

They use thrust brackets in Europe. I thought, we might legalize solid mounts. But I have not run one of the motors to know anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes GoFast Cracker Bay liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  41019E64-CD21-4807-88D6-FA323BD36F97.png
Views: 211
Size:  641.2 KB
    Tim Kurtz brought this to my attention, the Tohat 30 has a low water pickup on the gearcase from the factory. Anyone still want to argue that a specialized foot is better? This motor is also down to 128 lbs now.
    Likes GoFast Cracker Bay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews75 View Post
    Name:  41019E64-CD21-4807-88D6-FA323BD36F97.png
Views: 211
Size:  641.2 KB
    Tim Kurtz brought this to my attention, the Tohat 30 has a low water pickup on the gearcase from the factory. Anyone still want to argue that a specialized foot is better? This motor is also down to 128 lbs now.
    They must have some interesting plumbing for that to feed to the cooling system. I'd like to see that cutaway.
    Jim Keith
    CrackerBayThundercats.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast Cracker Bay View Post
    They must have some interesting plumbing for that to feed to the cooling system. I'd like to see that cutaway.
    Don't think those are water cooling system pickups. Look more like water injection into exhaust stream. Water pickup screen between cavitation plate and gear bulge.

Thread Information