Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Ron Hill Would Plan for a 20 HP Four Stroke Class

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    When was this marathon? How long was it? How many entries?
    https://www.apba.org/old/internal/pr...swrJY-aAQnCSWk

The Marathon was timed, 20 minutes. One Marathon Saturday, One Marathon Sunday.

Howie Nichols was the race Director and stated there were 144 pre-registrations.

CSR Marathon with perhaps 5 or 6 boats and one DSR

I took my 20 hp Tohatsu to the race and Kurt Romberg displayed it at the inspection tent.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Post Thanks / Like

Different strokes for different folks.

We have a number of 20 hp Tohatsu/Mercury engines being fitted to existing or new boats.

Ron Hill, a kneeler and a sit down
    Jim Gardiner, a new short course and a new marathon sit down.
    Kerry Hamlin, short course/marathon fitted to a Brinkman BSR.
    Carolina Virginia Racing Association (CVRA) New Runne boat for for Driving School and Racing.
    Harry Schoell (80 yr old) sit Down Marathon for TOPO

Name:  800.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  120.5 KB
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  515BC6E5-3C3A-4025-98CE-7C60CD69D118.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  186.1 KB
    Just an idea for steering should anyone want to use cables vs a Morse system. Gives you a visualization of what needs to happen with your 4 stroke motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews75 View Post
    Name:  515BC6E5-3C3A-4025-98CE-7C60CD69D118.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  186.1 KB
    Just an idea for steering should anyone want to use cables vs a Morse system. Gives you a visualization of what needs to happen with your 4 stroke motor.
    Were the powerhead bolts not suitable to bolt a steering bracket to? The difference being you're steering through the motor mounts on that bracket you have pictured, right?
    Jim Keith
    CrackerBayThundercats.com

Post Thanks / Like

The triangle formed by the steering bars and cable could be a problem in a flip. In the mid 60's, I rolled my AU and got my head caught between the bar, cable and transom of the boat and nearly drowned. Somehow, I ended up with my head between the bar,cable and transom with my head toward the lower unit and the engine turned in such a way that it trapped me in a snare that was not large enough for my helmet to come out. As the boat settled and the engine weight took the back down, it took me under water with it. I remember trying to get free and apparently I did just as I went unconcious. The next thing I remember was another driver in the water trying to hold me up. That was all with the conventional rear mounted steering bar that bent forward. Don't know how long I was out, but it apparently was my last lunge that got me out and let the life jacket float me up to the surface. I could see this bar configuration trapping a body part in a flip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Morse Cable Steering is What is needed!

Well 7-B I never heard of this happening but I could see it happening with very bad results.

In 1986, I ran three boats with six women drivers in C-NOD. 30 HP Tohatsu, aluminum prop required.

We used Morse or such cable steering and never had any trouble. My Six Snapper CHICKS AS I CALLED THEM, NEVER TURNED OVER AND THEY WON ALL THE TIME.
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes ClayT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It happened in 1966 northeast divisionals and ended up being the only race I lost that year. It was the first year of the stoppage of a heat rule and it happened duting the first heat while I was out front. I caught a roller while turning and rolled the boat. I was brought in and put in the ambulance. They had a couple of restarts, which gave my dad the time to dry it out and get it running, and I got out of the ambulance, jumped in the boat and won the first heat. The second heat, I came out of the first turn in 2nd and knowing that Don Tillitson was out front and had finished 3rd in heat 1, I just followed him around knowing that my 1st and 2nd had the win as Don was pretty quick and I did not want to risk blowing the win for a 1st I did not need to get. Anyway, I did not even know about the heat stoppage rule, but Bob Hawie did and put in a protest with just a few minutes left to do so. So, I lost the 1st heat points and got moved to 4th, finishing the season with 21 firsts and one fourth including winning the nationals, the national high point and the John and Flora Blank Award (now the Waldman Award). as well as all the Region and State awards.
    Likes GoFast Cracker Bay liked this post

Thread Information