Brought back a lot of memories Dale 'We worked so hard on this race. This was supposed to be a "breakout race" where we deviated from the normal Pro format to a one heat per class winner take all format. The idea was to have a short, but solid action of performance where the spectators would know who exactly won. Get the boats out on the course for some heavy competition then back into the pits for the next class. Marshall Grant was the inspiration behind this idea. He said the public gets weary of sitting all day out in the hot sun and leaves before the fastest classes come up. There was no room or time to conduct elimination heats and each captain was to come up with his own method of selecting his team. Remember, this was an experiment that, if it worked, We might start to pick up some sponsors and that required sharp boats, team uniforms, and an attempt to look professional in the pits.

This was just the start, but it was very promising. The toughest thing was what drivers to select, and not to cause resentment among others. I never heard any gripes from anyone and a lot of racers came that would not be competing. But, I think they knew the stakes, and if this worked out, it could lead to some very exciting races in our future.

Unfortunately, the worst memory of my racing career also came during that race. The tragic death of Jerry Waldman hung a heavy pall over that race. The spirit and hope that race promised for the future was gone, and never fully recovered.