Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What Year?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What Year?

Hey guys Im new hear mostly because I just recently bought my first boat ('85 Laveycraft 18ft interceptor w/ 200 merc). My question is this..... The engine came with the boat and I know its a good powerful engine but the serial number plate is missing and I was just wondering if there is any other way to determine what year the engine might be. I know its before the oil-injected days but besides that I really am not sure. It has blue graphics and the starter has a '78 date on it but I know that these are almost universal on the V-6's. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default serial numbers

Mercury usually stamped matching numbers somewhere on the block [ used to be the starter bracket] . Not saying yours is a stolden motor but it was common for thieves to take the serial number plate off thinking it was untraceable. If the block has been change the numbers might not be there. Any time we had to change out a block in the shop I worked in we would stamp the serial number back in .
    Mercury used to put out a hot sheet of missing motors . I dont know if they still due that. Havent been in the boat business for years. Merc guy would know if he ever gets back to this site.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw them before. Do you have any idea where I could find a list of model numbers corresponding to the engine block and what year they were made?

Thread Information