Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristo-craft Torpedo I4

Post Thanks / Like

Checked some more rule books up to 1965 .... 435 is the DU weight in all of them

Not all Switzer Bullets were built exactly the same. In fact there was no plan or blueprint for them, according to Bob Switzer, he just put wood on the floor and started working. I have only seen 2 others in person and they were both built a little more stoutly than mine (more stringers) .... but certainly less than 160 pounds bare. If you have a 200 pounder I think yours was built extra heavy on purpose
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

The bottom on mine is 3/4 inch thick in places. It was built with a double, shingle bottom. It also has a box transom which is heavvvy. Also, I think it has 7 sets of stringers and it has a built in seat in the front cockpit. The thinest wood on the thing is the decks which are 1/4" ribbon grain mahogony plywood. The total width is about 58". It must be 24" deep at the dash too.

Like I said, its' a beast but very cool too.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds more like the pleasure version of the Bullet, racers were usually built lighter.

All the racing Bullets I've seen had 3/8 bottoms, 1/4 sides and decks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

My Switzer is a marathon boat. It looks similar to the pic you posted but it is a true kneeler. It still has the original Atwood wheel and Quincy throttle in it.

A scary thing about it is that none of the hardware is bolted in. Its' all screws. I haven't played with it on the water, don't worry I know better.
    Also, it has an indirect steering set up too. The fin was mounted in the center of the bottom. I bet its 12" long and 6" deep.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aristo-craft 14

Thanks For All The Feed Back. I Think I Solved The Problem. I Bought 1981 Staudecker 5 Lite Inboard Hydro To Race In Vintage Class. I Am Going To Put Stock Mk 55 On Aristo Craft For The Grand Kids To Play With. You Guys Cost Me A Lot Of Money I Told My Wife Cathy It Is All Your Fault???
    Thanks A Lot
    Nick Cerino

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nick, I didn't know Chin Chin 1110 was you. Merry Christmas. What years were the last few Pro Nationals you ran?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello guys, sorry that I am getting into this so late in the game. I had a 12' Aristocraft, I forget the model, however the single seat back was hinged and would fold back so that you could make it into a kneeler. With the stock Mark 50 engine, the boat would run about 41 mph. I put a quickie unit on the Mark 50 and it ran just about the same speed. I jacked the engine, trying to get a little more speed and ended up throwing a rod from overrevs. The 12' Aristocraft had a full length keel about 1 1/4" deep. It didnot have a turn fin on the bottom. The boat turned fair with the keel, but lost a lot in performance. In the 50's we had a few local type races. My Aristocraft could beat one of the local Merc Super Hurricanes, equipped with a "quickie" unit, on a "B" Pabst run a bout and would just about run with a Power cat with twin 70 hp Mercs. I ran a race in Cordova Il. and got beat by a round chined boat powered by a 33 hp Scott. I did beat quite a few of the local boys, however the course had 4 buoys and was almost square favoring the round chined boats. I mounted the Mk 50 powerhead on a Mk 40 direct drive lower unit and it was the most successful match I could put together at the time. I always loved that Aristocraft with the two tone mahogany deck, a grill in the front and a green windshield. I later traded the boat for a Mk 55H. Wish I had either of them back now! Rod Zapf

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aristo-craft 14

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Hey Nick, I didn't know Chin Chin 1110 was you. Merry Christmas. What years were the last few Pro Nationals you ran?
    HI" WAYNE SO GOOD TO HERE FROM YOU. I HOPE ALL IS WELL.I THINK MY LAST YEAR FOR PRO NATIONALS WAS 1973. IN 1973.I WENT TO VALLEYFEILD THAT YEAR AND WON BOH.I WAS OFFERED A RIDE IN 280 INBOARD.I GOT HOOKED BAD, SOLD ALL PRO STUFF AND BOUGHT MY FIRST INBOARD.I MISSED ALL THE GUYS FROM OUTBOARDS.BUT I HAD A BALL RUNNING INBOARDS, SET A 5 MILE RECORD AND WON NAT. AT ST. PETE LATER I HAD OFFSHORE CHIN-CHIN,WON KEY WEST AND SET KILO RECORD 1989.
    THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES NICK CERINO "CHIN-CHIN"
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-22-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sounds like you had a good run

Yeah, I was thinking 1972-73. I remember when you went into inboards, then lost track. How about putting up some pictures of your boats and stories in the inboard and offshore categories. They need a little more attention. BTW were you at Valleyfield in 1976?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aristo-craft 14

Yes" I Raced At Vallyfield 1974- 1978 In 145 Class, Boat Called" Miss Hillwinds. 1979 -1982 280 Class Boat Named Chin-chin E-111. I Also Drove Miss Patco. I Am Putting Together 280 For Vintage Class "like I Am". Just To Get A Ride Again Can't Wait. I Have 8 Grand Kids Who Knows What Can Happen? I Would Like To Post Some Inboard Stuff, Old Pictures, Etc. May Be If All Go's Well Vintage Boats. First I Have To Learn How To Do It.as You Can See I Am Not Very Good At Typing And Computers
    Chin-chin Nick Cerino

Thread Information