Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Hi All,
    First let me thank my friends Ron and Ted for creating this forum. I hope everyone had enough to eat for Thanksgiving, I KNOW I did!!! I've noticed over the few years since the creation of the internet, that info is plentiful.
    When I read the numerous posts from our 'tribal elders" it is plain to see that there have been times in our liftimes when boat racing was much more popular than it is currently.When I proudly accepted the assignment to develope the new OPC Super-Sport class, the outpouring of support and encouragment was unprecedented. If only 1/2 of the men that enthusiastically
    requested info. in the 2000 season had "signed-up", there would be over 100
    liscenced drivers with equipment. As it stands now, I get the feeling of an "open-wheel racers vs. nascar racers " behavior, that is to respectfully say that since the Super-Sport boats are a back to basics format, that the racers in other classes do not appreciate the new drivers in Super-Sport as they simply show up and race without spending most of there time at the race site working on their engines...These new drivers come from a variety of backgrounds, some used to race stock outboards, some ran older OPC classes (sport-G, Mod VP, J-production,etc.), some were outboard drag racers, and some never raced any boats at all. All these new recruits share the desire to get out on the racecourse and be part of the action, some are fiercly competitive and some are content to run wide, stay out of trouble, but happy to be able to keep up with the pack and stay on the lead lap. All I ask is that some of the influential men in other regions of the country recognise this and keep in mind that from these new recruits, some of the faster, more "pure-race-bred" classes will have new participants from which to harvest new drivers from. Also please keep in mind that (with regard to the open-wheel vs./nascar mindset) , if all out performance and speed on the racecourse was the most popular way to go, Television production of IRL and CART races would not have to pan past relatively empty grandstands durring their events...and that the OPC MOD-U class would be our largest class for participants....Could it be that we need to pool our collective intellectual resources and figure out a way to admit that it is allright to pointout that the
    glory days of OPC racing took place at a time when top speeds were lower and the boats were more evenly matched, and more manageable or "raceable"Thanks for your time, I appreciate your replies.
    Respectfully,
    Danny
    Super-Sport #8

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Back When Ron Hill and I were Roommates...

..it was the APBA convention in Bilouxi, Missisippi. We had arranged to bring
    four turnkey Super-Sport boats for display, and we did!! they were ready and gassed up, available for demo rides, but the weather did not cooperate. We made up the free time by hangin' out in the hospitality rooms and havin' fun . To this day Ron has not gotten to take a single lap in a Super-Sport boat. Maybe with Mr. March's help, together we can get him in one durring the 2005 season, plenty of time ahead for that!!! These boats are faster than most would believe, and have very good acceleration too!!! Most men I've tlaked with agree that , in many of our current OPC classes, the high performance levels of todays equipment exceeds the ability of some of the participants, that is, the boat can go faster than the driver is willing to push it. In a well set-up Super-Sport boat, most drivers can push the boat to its performance limit without getting to far "over their head" at least not so far that they get wet...

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Opinion...

I think you should allow 200 HP/225 HP 2006 motors in Super Sport and have a Division II using the powerhead rules of Formula 150. If the speeds in Divison II get too fast, require a transom height... I just think the lack of speed in Super Sport has hurt it. Essentially, I'm suggesting combining 2006 engines with a watered down Mod VP... Run them together, score them as two classes....

I might also suggest that the class adopt a GENTLEMEN'S approach to the Over lap rule. Maybe, adopt UIM's where you maintain your lane in the corners...

Run the 150's as Division III...

When MOD VP went 90 we had 40 plus entries at Havasu. At a hundred to a hundred and five, we hurt and killed people...

1980, I ran a 21 foot Eliminator, 235 Evinrude, 35 entries, four hour race, I finished 4th, and I could only see 78 on my Keller. My 11'6" D Stock Hydro, BeZoats would run 76 MPH on the same Keller... Within three years, everyone ran over the 100 MPH mark!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...Super-Sport boats are fast enough , the only guys who say we should runbigger engines are ones that have yet to compete in one with the current 150 H.P. engines. Every guy that says they would like to race at higher speeds can run SST120, Formula 150, Champ, or Mod-U. This year there weren't enough Mod-U boats to make a full field at the Nationals, a man with a formula 150 boat stepped up to fill the class but crashed in an early heat race...

Post Thanks / Like

Default You are talking tunnels...

All the tunnel classes are too fast and too expensive to the average dude...

I have two or three V-6 Mercury motors that would be legal Formula 150 powerheads, but to run the class you need a $4,500 gearcase and special mid sections...

Open Super Sport up to more power and more noise! What can it hurt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default My vote would be...

- 200 HP 2006 Stock motors
    - Exhaust Relief allowed
    - Nose cones allowed
    - Maybe, low water p/u?????? I could go either way on this one...

Danny -
    - What is the current SS weight rule?
    - What top end mph range are you guys seeing today with the 150's?
    - What seems to be the prop pitch of choice by the top contenders?

Thanks
    Scott March

Thread Information