Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Again from Danny

Why 1600 Pounds
    I'll try to find my original letter to Ron Hill, or hopefully he can dig it
    up and post it. In that proposal I had the weights at 1475 pounds. After much research and discussion, it was determined that since the last era of Mod-VP class boats ran at 1450 pounds and the new engines were heavier, plus the fact we plan to attract "Big-Dudes" who otherwise would not neccasarily participate in our already popular lighter weight classes, 1600 pounds would work well . The 1600 pound number was also determined to allow for some modern accesories such as on board
    air conditioning, onboard/ondemand underwater breathing apparatus, deployed airbag technology, communication equipment, and so on.
    (Add: also lotsa Fried Chicken and Pizza consumption at the races)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

.... Thanks Mike !!....

I wish I knew how you do that "cut and paste" deal.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny McManus
    .... Thanks Mike !!....

I wish I knew how you do that "cut and paste" deal.....

Yea -- In the 1st turn it is cut and paste

Post Thanks / Like

Default Didn't know...

Mike's an old Ski Racer...Vic Edelbrock, Gary Steel, we need their history in the Encyclopedia...

GN seemed to do well when they had three Divisons....They'd have 15 boats in their class, 5 in each Division...Now they have one Division and have five boat s in it.

I'd think, taking a lesson from Ski racing would be good. Every year I go to the Catalina Ski race to see who wins.....But they have about 150 ski racers...One wins overall, but when you go to the trophy presentation, it takes three hours, the race only takes an hour, becasue there are so many winners, they have Men's Open, Women's Open, Old Man's Class, Junior...50 classes, but year after year they draw 150 boats......BECAUSE almost everyone wins....

Why not OPEN SUPER SPORT to thre Divisions...??? Truth is, it doesn't seem to be growing now, a few more boats couldn't hurt!!!!

Keep in mind I never went to boats to go to the races, I went to WIN...but, I always sent pictures, articles, went to pree days, took time off work to be on TV with Regis, I hustled FOR THE SPORT, not just Ron Hill.

Ken Cree had a party at every Parker Enduro, all day, at his water front home. He loved to sponsor me...What did it cost him???? A case of Champagne and $100 for my entry??? But I took the time, to go an chat with him. He knew I loved racing, was not doing it to get rich...he was glad to help...This is part of an ad he took out in the Parker Paper..

This MOD VP would go 84 mph with a 28 and 92 with a 32. Seems to me, let old Eliminators with 235's and a capsule run Division II Super Sport...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron

I think your ideas are sound but, the one thing I would be concerned about would be for example " sst-70 " one 70 in the US and 60s steping-up to make the class. I am sorry but this does not make any sence to me.
    Two schools of thought.

1 When I first started driving this class, it was faster than I wanted to drive. After 1 year I wanted to go much faster.

2 If we were going as fast as I would like to go now it would have been to dangerous for new drivers.

A couple of little stories

I was testing at Dannys marina and Phil Connat was on the course with me in his 280 hp Allison and could not pass me. He finally cut the 1 pin to make a pass.

I used to go to the sand dunes in Yuma and we all had our trick sand toys, but the funnest racing was with the atc 90. It was very close races and the most funnnnn

We don't make any money at racing so I think FUN is the most important thing

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:

I changed a few srttings around and removed your pics off your post. Hopefully now, the pics will show instead of the titles you have to click to see them.

Here are your pics again:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Damn! Sumthin' weird going on here !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks jeff for your efforts

I'm not sure if this will work

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...threadid=72527

This is a cool video

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My thoughts:

I think Supersport is a good class, but I think there should be a faster, step up, class using bigger green motors. However I think the idea of a formula 150 type class for the modified V style boats would be interesting.

I believe there is a need to address racing motors that are actually in production, which leaves us to find a use for the green motors. Supersport works. Everyone asks what does it need to go? It just needs support from someone, APBA, Mercury, Bombardier, Yamaha, APR, CHAMP, anyone, etc.. just some organization that at least can act like the class is a great way to spend a weekend racing and promote it that way. The problem the class has is the only support it has comes from a guy with a little shop on a lake in Central Florida and he can't support a national class on his own!

Using box stock motors is a good way of showing the manufacturers that boat racing is a viable way to sell consumers on the new technology coming out today and in the future. But continuing to use motors that haven't been made in the last 10 years damn sure isn't selling them on anything. Boat racing was in its greatest times when the manufacturers were backing it, they probably never will again, but you can be certain they won't if we are not using their product that sells to the public.

Everyone likes to look to NASCAR and compare boat racing to it. WHY? Unfortunately we aren't NASCAR and we never will be. Why not look to the BASS tournaments and the King Fish tournament circuits. Hell they are both getting TV time starting in 2005, we are certainly more exciting that watching some fish get weighed but no TV for most boat racing and none without paying for it! Whats the secret? Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mike Muldrow

I'm sorry I could not read all of the stuff you had to say.....

Please help Danny to make this the best class EVER

Thread Information