Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

So far, I have thoroughly enjoyed this class. I have never driven a race in my life, car or boat. I have been involved in performance boating for 1 1/2 years now. My first race ever was at Chattahoochee this past month. I have to tell you that I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed jumping out of an airplane at 14,000 feet. There are several boats available now for $5,000 or less. There are many more engines on the back of fishing boats to be had for far less than that. It is truly feasable to get into this class for $12,000 or less including safety gear. Then all one has to do is buy batteries and gas.

As for a dual purpose boats, I have been out every weekend since I have purchased the boat. You can see it between Lake Monroe and Lake Harney out of Sanford, FL on any given weekend. I can keep up with most boats that have a 50-75 HP advantage. Top speed for my boat was 81 MPH GPS at 6,250 RPM with a stock 27 SRX.

I am extending an open invitation to come to the FBI races in Crescent City on July 10th. My boat will be there. Just hunt me down and I will put you in the drivers seat.

Thanks,
    Mark Mayo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark...
    Welcome to our sport !!! When I attend our APBA meetings there is often discusions that relate to recruiting new people to our sport. I hope other people on this forum will join me in welcoming you to the ranks of being a powerboat racer, we are a very specialized group of enthusiasts !!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Danny,

I truly owe everything to you. This might not be the fastest class, nor the most sought after, but it is definitely a truly versatile one. I enjoy every minute that I am out on the St. Johns river. Don't get me wrong... I do love my 1983 Critchfield. But, let’s just say, she has received much less attention since I got my Quartershot. I really do enjoy driving this boat. I put 5-10 gallons through her every weekend which amounts to 20-40 miles of pure fun. I am not one for attention, but I am slowly getting used to it. My offer is true. If you are willing to make it to Crescent City on July 10th (Sunday), I will put you in the driver’s seat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

this sounds like a grass roots class (cool ) something that many can afford and enjoy with out having deep pockets. I'm going to have to look into this a little more to see if its do able in my area of the country (southern ohio) .. what brands of boats are used for this class ? I saw allisons ,mirage, and Quartershots are there any others that are being used?? Thanks for opening this thread back up

Post Thanks / Like

So far, this has been a Region 5 class. I would love to see this prosper throughout the country. But I can only wish... Anyway, it is very reasonable in terms of cost and fun. As far as boats, anything is game. Bolt on a roll cage and run with it. It is a 1,600 LB class so specialty gear is not needed. I would highly recommend the Quartershot T-1, but there are a few Vision Craft for sale at a very reasonable price. I'm talking $3,500 for hull and trailer. Possibly $4,500 with steering.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Stock Racing

Please pardon me for jumping in but having raced in Mod-VP for many years I would love to see the class succeed. In my on opinion I belive The class died
    for only one reason. The powers that were in charge at the time Removed it from the national circuit ( At that time it was IOGP ) and when that happened
    the class dried up. Take a mans dream of running his Mod-VP boat in the big show and he`s gonna lose his interest. I did! So if ya want to make SS into
    a big time class, Get it on the PROP tour or whatever they call themselfs now.
    Just a few thoughts:
    Former Mod-VP Racer
    Bobby sanders

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to bring this topic back to the top of the forum because many well intentioned boat racing enthusiasts have talked to me about createing a new Super-Sport "open" class... any input will be considerd... thanks to all replies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Danny Love You Like A Brother...

I was thinking about you just the other day...Broc, my 16 year old, was driving our 22 foot outboard, 2.4 V-6 (We had a nice 2.5, .044 over EFI...that Chad managed to melt...but)...Anyway, we went from Needles to Havasu's London Bridge and back...Broc ran that mother wide open all the way, there and back....He let me out long enough to see if Tito was home, then we hauled all the way back to Needles...

Seemed to me, that I should have slowed him down once we'd cleared a few three footers....but the way he was holding the wheel (Quite a lot of torque on a Teleflex steering) and pushing the hammer down.... Broc never said a word about the trip...But in my mind, I think he felt he'd won the race that day.....

I had planned to "PONDER" on the river and drink of few beers......Broc asked what the rumble was when he backed off...I tried to explain that I didn't see him back off, but that it was probably the tuner..... His answer, "What's a tuner?"....

Danny, when you Conceptualize Super Sport, there was a NOISE factor that you'd planned...but the 2006 motors never made noise....Seems to me, that there is something to be said about SOME noise...Harley rides say loud pipes save lives....

Let me make several suggestions for Super Sport:

1. Open th class to Formula 150 Powerhead rules.
    2. Score any 2006 engine in a different class. (Basically Two Divisions: Super Sport 2006 and Super Sport Formula 150) (No Spedmasters). If Division II (Formula 150) goes too fast, lower them down to 2" below the bottom...
    3. Read Rod Zapf's Rules for Parker, especially the RED ZONES for corners... (Basically, maintain your lane in corners, like UIM rules...enter in lane four, exit in lane four)....
    4. Race on 35 to 40 second courses with single bouy turns, two ten lap qualifiers Satuday, with a 20 lap Main on Sunday.
    5. Follow GNRA's lead and race 6 times a year... (Form a Super Sport Club in your area and meet to discuss your six races)...
    6. Keep your weights and safety rules as they are now...

These aren't all my thoughts, but close to it..

I don't like EFI motors on MOD VP boats, as I feel the speeds, even on a 35-40 course are too fast. Not to mention they are way too expensive to be running all the time.

I was also wondering if you went to the Mt. Dora Antique Boat Show??? If I could find the mountain, in Mt. Dora, may be, I'd go to the show!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy Ron,I love you like a brother... the open class for for Super-Sport will include "altered production gearcase" ....this will allow a provision for two one inch holes above the anti-ventilation plate on the starboard side, just as specified in my original draft of the Super-Sport rules...
    thanks for your reply.....you da MAN !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Take a Few Minutes

Take a few minutes an read the Formula 150 rules...

Main points are 2.0, 2.4 and 2.5 fishing STOCK BLOCKS, no racing blocks. Carbs only....

Thread Information