Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noise factor

When I went to the Super Cross races in the RCA dome a couple of months ago, I expected to hear the sounds of loud bikes throughout the night. I was dead wrong. The only bike I heard was one lone 2-stroke from France, until he crashed out before the final.

The rest of the bikes were silent 4-strokes - I never heard a single one of them! But that didn't matter to the crowd at all.

Because to make up for the lack of sound, the arena was pumped with VERY LOUD rock music playing behind a VERY LOUD announcer. Those chest thumping drum beats were enough to get the fans' adrenaline going. Nobody even noticed the bikes were quiet. It was super LOUD in there.

Of all the boat racing videos I've seen, the best ones have been those with ACDC type rock-n-roll as the "noise" --- they didn't have any motor audio.

I've been saying for a long time that SuperSport has one HUGE advantage over the louder classes -- that is it's one of the few classes where you can hear the announcers follow the race.

And (if music were to be played over loud speakers) you could also have the crowd on their feet - screaming and dancing - just like at the SuperCross shows. So take full advantage of this quieter aspect that other motor sports can't use. If you've got speakers available - put them to FULL use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    Re: Noise factor

I've been saying for a long time that SuperSport has one HUGE advantage over the louder classes -- that is it's one of the few classes where you can hear the announcers follow the race.

That because they do not have Ray Roda (aka RLR) who can easily talk over a six-cylinder looper even with a sore throat. Holy Buckets!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Won't...

BK, you are right...but when one boat goes along quiet enough for the other guy to yell "Get the HELL out of the way"...Anyway....

If anyone wants me running a Super Sport, at 80...I want it to sound like a hundred....I don't want to go a hundred and be quiet..

When my kids use to drive my wife's "SNAPPERS", I drilled exhaust relief holes in the motors, so I could hear where the hell they were on the river...and so, they wouldn't come up behind me while I was floating down the river "PONDERING"...as, you may not realize it, but, get me to Needles, and I'm a HELL OF A "PONDERER"....

In fact, I'm heading to Needles this Wednesday, to "PONDER" the races at Parker...as I have told Ross I'd bring Jessica's boat to Parker as a river patrol boat....Jessica won't be there as she's getting ready to have granddaughter number two, at any second....

FYI: I'm buying a jeep and rock collecting tumblers. I've decided my granddaughters won't be ready to race boats for awhile, but maybe, they'd enjoy going over the desert and picking up rocks, and polishing them...There are some pretty rocks between Needles and Kingman...AND, I bet you knew that!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Mod-C class was extremely loud. But when you have 2 coming up behind you, it still sounds like one. You can't tell which side, so sometimes you move to the wrong one.

But if you're the one with the loud engine, you won't hear anything but yourself.

Also, regarding the red zones and staying in lanes in the turns: what is going to keep a boat from hooking and slicing across 3 lanes, directly in front of the others? I've had a lot of friends hurt badly that way -- that was why capsules were invented.

After capsules came into our lives, we were able to toss that worry aside for 99% of the incidents. I still consider bow stuffs and hooks (into the path of other boats) posing more of a danger to the driver than a blowover.

Those SuperCross people sure figured out how to take advantage of the "quiet" 4-strokes. They also have those bikes going so SLOW (by so many tight turns and no long straights) that a bike can hit a driver and not leave a scratch.

PS My kids love tumbling rocks too. But about Needles: Do you know about the ancient MAZE across the highway? Its a foot path maze that the Mohave Indians created many centuries ago.

It's on the Havasu side of I-40 - actually part of the highway cuts through the maze, which used to start at the base of the mountain and go all the way to the river. When you start, you have to choose between about 40 paths that have been dug into the dirt. But only one path takes you to the water. The natives used to run throughout the entire course. These mazes were thought to get rid of demons who were following them back from hunting trips, by causing them to get lost in the confusing maze paths.

I didn't have any idea these were out there until about 10 years ago when my sister (a school teacher from Bullhead) took me out there one day.

Really cool place.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 04-18-2006 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Referee's Job

Capsules didn't prevent a death in Super Sport. Maintaining your lane is easy, if that was the rule. But that isn't the rule except in INBOARD. The referee with advice from the Race Committee could enforce lane voilations the same way they enforce any other rule.

When classes are combined, the faster boats should be required to stay on the outside and the slower ones run the shorter route...For some crazy reason, most people think that running boats of different speeds, at the same time isn't possible... This thinking is NUTS. When my brother won the Heasrt Regatta in 1949, there were 32 "A" Hydros...There were no spills, there were more than 10 MPH difference in speed from the winner to last place.... But, boats ran the propshaft even with the bottom... Speeds were in the mid 40's...

Running two Divisions of Super Sport, at the same time, would be a piece of cake....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    Those SuperCross people sure figured out how to take advantage of the "quiet" 4-strokes. They also have those bikes going so SLOW (by so many tight turns and no long straights) that a bike can hit a driver and not leave a scratch.

Val,
    Supercross has been through “ many” changes in the last few years mostly do to
    Manufactures having to curb exhaust emissions and more recently “noise”. These
    Mandates came from EPA and CARB ( California air resources board) .

The AMA (American motorcyclist association) and AMA Pro Racing(the governing body of supercross) have made changes in the rules to address these Mandates.

Believe me, the “racers” were not very happy about the hole 4 strk deal !

The noise issue is something that dirtbike manufactures are trying to salve but with an open and strong (aftermarket) it has been a battle. Do to loss of riding area’s throughout the country the AMA and AMA Pro Racing have changed there rules to include a maximum decibel limit on every motorcycle in competition.

As far as SLOW speed go’s you would be surprised at how fast those boys are really going!
    I feel I need to correct your statement about being able to run into each other and not get a scratch!

Truth is they get injured on a regular basis. This season there have been two major injuries so far…One rider was hit by another racers front wheel (in a slow speed section) and suffered a broken back. He is now paralyzed from the neck down. The latest was a crash that happened during practice, it was a single bike incident witch also left the rider paralyzed…last year the sport “lost” its first rider in over 30 years do to a crash..( a very slow speed tip over !) … So its not as safe as you may think!

I’m glad you enjoyed the race! supercross has come a long way since it’s introduction in the 1970’s. One thing that has remained is the fact that supercross and motocross are still “family” oriented sports.. very much like boat racing !

I think that boat racing could learn a few things from the the AMA and AMA Pro Racing to bring it into the mainstream … But that’s’ another story !

Keep posting Val …You always make some good points and give good info!
    Jeff 93-C

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Maintaining your lane is easy, if that was the rule.
    I'm just a spectator when it comes to SuperSports, but there seemed to be a lot of spinouts leading to folks getting run into or over. Perhaps this is easily explained by the number of rookie drivers or maybe it is the right hand gearcase and left hand turns.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree

When classes are combined, the faster boats should be required to stay on the outside and the slower ones run the shorter route...For some crazy reason, most people think that running boats of different speeds, at the same time isn't possible... This thinking is NUTS. Running two Divisions of Super Sport, at the same time, would be a piece of cake....
    Another boat racing/motorcycle racing thought.

In offroad (Cross Country) racing they may have as many as 300 + racers on the corse at the same time. they line up in rows of (class) six or seven rows are comon...they start 20 seconds apart... they are all scored seperatly acording to (Class).... and we arent talking about wide open desert here ...this is all single track ( picture a COW trail ). Passing is done all the time .. I have personaly started on the 6th row... won my class and finnished 14 overall... Not bosting here, just proving a point that I think you could run "some" boat races with multiple classes and score them seperate !

I think it would allso make the racing more intresting and chalenging just my opinion .....
    Last edited by Jeff Akers; 04-18-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default multiple classes

i just returned fom a trip to new zealand in march,,,,
    and while i was there i raced in the F1 class with my boat

over there there is as many people in the country as we have in houston alone

their boat count is no where near what we have here in the states
    i was racing with v drive flatties,tunnels,jets,and full blown v8 hydros
    in practice i learned the slower boats,the wide turners and the deep water gashes of the hydros
    they race on a handicap system off of the qualifying heat
    slower boats are given time that is added at the finish
    if sand bag the qualifier and run a faster main event , would be be dqd

this system works for them to allow more boats on the water at a time
    to put on a better show
    its great flying past a flatty on straights,and diving in at the bouy on a hydro in the corners
    definately have to respect all boats in the heat
    and know how they drive ,,,takes some getting used to

when we add some 120s to the champ class to make up their field
    its a piece of cake compared to having a blown hydo come up your ,,s
    had a blast,,,will do it again at 1st chance
    john

Post Thanks / Like

Capsules didn't prevent a death in Super Sport.
    Ron,

Capsules have not only prevented deaths in Super Sport, but thousands of other lives too. Those boats hook and spin out on a regular basis. There would be guys being flung all over the place if they weren't strapped in. (Just like it was in Mod-VP before capsules). Remember all the guys who today can't walk, have fiberglass imbedded in their flesh or are now missing body parts from being pitched out and then run over? The numbers that didn't make it at all goes into the thousands. Pre-capsule era, we used to lose 10 or more per year. The hydroplanes even once lost 3 in one day!

But the capsuled classes don't have to endure black days like those anymore. Those are only found in history books.

And what about all the guys who quit racing for good because of witnessing those injuries? Entire families who got out of the sport. Just about all the people who used to race with me left the sport for that reason: We don't like to see people die.

But that was before capsules.

Just because there is a freak capsule accident once in a while does not equate to capsules not doing what they were built for. I can't even begin to count how many lives are here today because of capsules -- in fact, most of my F1 friends count themselves in that category. One guy who is a close friend of yours is here today because of capsules: Greg Foster.

I was just thinking about some stuff I have to do and need to run - and one of my to-do tasks is to write an email to my Italian friend Massimo thanking him for my Easter card --- when suddenly I realize this is yet another person whose life was affected painfully during those dark days - who at age 9 lost his tunnel boat racing dad because capsules had not been invented yet.

Thread Information