Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers
    I feel I need to correct your statement about being able to run into each other and not get a scratch!

Truth is they get injured on a regular basis. This season there have been two major injuries so far…One rider was hit by another racers front wheel (in a slow speed section) and suffered a broken back. He is now paralyzed from the neck down. The latest was a crash that happened during practice, it was a single bike incident witch also left the rider paralyzed…last year the sport “lost” its first rider in over 30 years do to a crash..( a very slow speed tip over !) … So its not as safe as you may think!
    Hi Jeff,

I hope I didn't make it sound like I was saying it was injury free. What I was trying to point out is that out of about 23 "connections", only 2 were serious. The other 21 riders who were swiped by another bike got back up on their bikes and continued on. I guess the point I was making is that they have such short runs and turn so often that they aren't at speed (ie: not at the speeds you would see if they were on a 3 mile straight).

I'm sure you are right about the riders not being happy about switching to 4-strokes. In any sport, changes usually creates major turmoil.

But what impressed me with the SuperCross folks is that instead of crying about the loss of 2-stroke "noise", they instead set out to invent their own noise! It's not my favorite music, but it was LOUD and did get adrenaline flowing -- and that's the whole point of the "Noise" in the first place.

I went to the races with three former bike racers, and no one mentioned they were missing the 2-stroke noise. But I could tell the event was geared toward the enjoyment of the fans --- and not riders. In fact, they had the riders doing all types of extra-curricular activities prior to the show. (such as sitting in random spots next to the regular fans in the grandstands, waiting for the spot lights to do a "surprise" indroduction).

It was fun to see the looks on the kids faces, who suddenly realized their "hero" was sitting in their very row!

But....I still chose the lone 2-Stroke bike as my pick to win for the evening. I don't know why. Maybe because he was a rebel?

Funny thing is that two of those former bike racers are now doctors who live in a prestigious neighborhood on a golf course - and they have each purchased 4-stroke bikes for themselves and their sons.

One of them had the bravery to build a DIRT TRACK right out in own his backyard, that follows along the 14th Fairway! This community is extremely restrictive --- no sheds, no boats in the driveway, no fences, no playsets. BUT - there is nothing in the homeowners assoc. book that says "No motorcycle tracks" LOL! So there's nothing the association can do about it! Everytime I see him and his sons out riding their bikes, I have to laugh out loud.

I'll have to take a picture and post it here. You'll love it.

So far he's had no complaints - but that wouldn't be the case if the bikes were 2-strokes.
    Last edited by Miss BK; 04-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Understood

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    Hi Jeff,

I hope I didn't make it sound like I was saying it was injury free. What I was trying to point out is that out of about 23 "connections", only 2 were serious. The other 21 riders who were swiped by another bike got back up on their bikes and continued on. I guess the point I was making is that they have such short runs and turn so often that they aren't at speed (ie: not at the speeds you would see if they were on a 3 mile straight).

I'm sure you are right about the riders not being happy about switching to 4-strokes. In any sport, changes usually creates major turmoil.

But what impressed me with the SuperCross folks is that instead of crying about the loss of 2-stroke "noise", they instead set out to invent their own noise! It's not my favorite music, but it was LOUD and did get adrenaline flowing -- and that's the whole point of the "Noise" in the first place.

I went to the races with three former bike racers, and no one mentioned they were missing the 2-stroke noise. But I could tell the event was geared toward the enjoyment of the fans --- and not riders. In fact, they had the riders doing all types of extra-curricular activities prior to the show. (such as sitting in random spots next to the regular fans in the grandstands, waiting for the spot lights to do a "surprise" indroduction).

It was fun to see the looks on the kids faces, who suddenly realized their "hero" was sitting in their very row!

But....I still chose the lone 2-Stroke bike as my pick to win for the evening. I don't know why. Maybe because he was a rebel?

Funny thing is that two of those former bike racers are now doctors who live in a prestigious neighborhood on a golf course - and they have each purchased 4-stroke bikes for themselves and their sons.

One of them had the bravery to build a DIRT TRACK right out in own his backyard, that follows along the 14th Fairway! This community is extremely restrictive --- no sheds, no boats in the driveway, no fences, no playsets. BUT - there is nothing in the homeowners assoc. book that says "No motorcycle tracks" LOL! So there's nothing the association can do about it! Everytime I see him and his sons out riding their bikes, I have to laugh out loud.

I'll have to take a picture and post it here. You'll love it.

So far he's had no complaints - but that wouldn't be the case if the bikes were 2-strokes.

I agree, Most crashes they walk away from !

The noise issue only came up this last year because of all the "4 strokes" !They found that they are actualy louder than the 2 stokes

Supercross is a graet "show" and thats what packs the seat's.!!

I wish your friend luck with his track....even stars like Jeremy McGrath have found it a problem lately...read this if you are intrested.. http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/Riverside.asp

I think this has gone off Topic... sorry .
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now you got me thinking Val !

I remember when I was a very young boy my dad took me to Unlimited hydro race.. 1968 maybe ???... my Hero at the time was Billy Shoemacher(SP)..anyway as the days racing went by and during one of the breaks one of the unlimited drivers was also a pilot... he got into a little Biplane and put on one hell of a show ! think his name was Myra Slovach ?.

Seems to me it would be a good croud pleaser at any boat racing event during the slow times !! It might be good for both boat racing and the EAA guys. After all if you want to put there butt's in the seats it has to be a "show" Right ?

Edit: Hmmm, me thinks sombody had a little to mutch Coffee today..LOL
    Last edited by Jeff Akers; 04-18-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Super Sport…. wow …, I won’t even dare to go there…….http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=101719
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

multiple classes

i just returned fom a trip to new zealand in march,,,,
    and while i was there i raced in the F1 class with my boat

over there there is as many people in the country as we have in houston alone

their boat count is no where near what we have here in the states
    i was racing with v drive flatties,tunnels,jets,and full blown v8 hydros
    in practice i learned the slower boats,the wide turners and the deep water gashes of the hydros
    they race on a handicap system off of the qualifying heat
    slower boats are given time that is added at the finish
    if sand bag the qualifier and run a faster main event , would be be dqd

this system works for them to allow more boats on the water at a time
    to put on a better show
    its great flying past a flatty on straights,and diving in at the bouy on a hydro in the corners
    definately have to respect all boats in the heat
    and know how they drive ,,,takes some getting used to

when we add some 120s to the champ class to make up their field
    its a piece of cake compared to having a blown hydo come up your ,,s
    had a blast,,,will do it again at 1st chance
    john

Well, John,

Seems to me that we have a whole country full of people that can't even think that one boat could race another, when one might be five miles faster...

In the old days, Havasu had 118 boats start the race, some went 50, some went 100...

Dudley MALONE TOLD ME NBRA runs all classes together... Seems, he said, tha the slower boats learn to stay out of the way of the fast boats, and the fast boats learn to stay out of the way of the slower boats...

I started racing in 1955, and Lee Morehouse built my boats. Lee had work with Walt Disney when Disney was getting started, but his real m oney came from Bank of America....BUt I recall his wife, Ibby, saying that at 5 o'clock she liked to go clean up like a lady and have a martini, like a lady.....

When I bought my first motorhome, Ibby's words were in my head...After attending the Winter Nationals in Louisiana, 27 classes...I thought, at what point does this become CRAZY??

APBA should have a sanction that went from 10 to 3....any more racing than 5 hours the rates would double...

Would someone tell me the difference between 20SSH, B Mod Hydro, C Stock Hydro, B Hydro, A Mod Hydro...All these hydros should start on a leMans start, run a ten lap qualifier and then, run a second qualifier. Then, a 20 lap main.

Any race that lasts past 4:00 p.m., will be fined $200 PER HOUR. THEMS, WOULD BE HILL RULES...

Post Thanks / Like

Default hill rules

the hill rules would keep us more broke,,,jus funnin
    running mixed classes is cool,,,and should be done with some of the low boat count classes to keep them classes alive
    martini time..........yes,,,,
    at the end of a race day i look forward to a shower and a nice meal/drink surrounded with other teams shooting the bull
    1 of the main reasons i opc tunnel race,a great family of drivers

also you missed the bryan tri hull season opener,,,,,
    were racing at highlands this weekend,,,,,

i have a brand new white tri hull here at the shop waiting to hit the water,,,,
    as i said before,,,,,,you tell me your coming ,,,,,
    ill make sure theres 1 for you to drive,,,,,,,
    john

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Pictures...

We are heading to Parker in a few minutes...

I want to visit John Rinker in Indiana, and talk him out of hius Tri Hull...

Then, I'll make several of your races or hire me a driver...Like J. MICHAEL KELLY.....(I wish)...

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri Hull ?

What kind of hull is it ? what class is it for ? Roy P.S. how about a picture of it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Tri-hull racing is a local class run in the southern states (mostly Texas & Louisiana).

Here's a whole bunch of info on Tri-Hull racing, Plus GREAT pictures!

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...read.php?t=353

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been following this thread since I signed up over here a while back. Super Sport is definately an interesting class to me, and I believe it has alot of potential, especially with an awesome guy like Danny Mcmanus involved. I think there have been some good ideas, and I have a few I'd like to add (from a spectator/possible racer perspective)

SuperSport boats:
    • keep the stone stock 150s, No relief, no modifications. IMO it is imperative to keep the engine stock so (in the case of a demo) it can be returned to the dealer, OR they are MUCH easier to sell, stock and untouched.
    • Add another class to use carb or laser injection 150 powerheads, exhaust relief, solid mounts, light cowlings, 150psi heads, and standard gearcase with a cone, run these at the same time and score them seperate. This will open up racing class to more people. instead of needing to buy a complete 06 engine to run, all alot of guys will need to do is buy a 150 powerhead off of ebay and bolt it on their lake boat mid/lower and go racing.
    • For the non-capsule boats, Spec a roll-cage to be made out of steel or aluminum. I will gladly do solid models and fabrication drawings of both a steel and aluminum cage, make sure they are engineered correctly, and make the prints and parts lists available to Danny so he can give them out as he sees fit.
    Races... I think a good idea is to find out what local festivities happen every year, and schedule a race then. Like Eustis has the(spring festival, right?) and Ft. Myers has the Edison parade of light, The day of the parade of light, there are people having cookouts at the park right on the river, its a perfect place to have a race, same way with the Swamp cabbage festival in Labelle, etc etc. My point is, have a SS Race the same place, every year, get buddy buddy with the local city people and make it a part of the event thats being held that day. set up maybe 6 races a season in different places and run em. nascar doesnt worry about where F1 is running on that day, why should SS NEED to run with the tunnels?

Jim

Thread Information