Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badaction
    My point is, have a SS Race the same place, every year, get buddy buddy with the local city people and make it a part of the event thats being held that day. set up maybe 6 races a season in different places and run em. nascar doesnt worry about where F1 is running on that day, why should SS NEED to run with the tunnels?
    Jim

Excellent point about "same place every year". That's key to bringing back "loyal" fans, which is what will spell your survival.

But the reason SS has to run with other classes is due to cost for a day of racing. Insurance for a boat race is very spendy, (you have to have liability coverage for your spectators as well as your racers) as well as hiring EMTs to be on site and buying the race equipment (flags/timers/radios) and covering the expenses of your officials (which is often all they ask). 12 entry fees won't even come close to the many thousands of dollars needed for a day of racing.

So that's why you see 3 or 4 classes at each race - with the hope of getting 50 or more entries (50 x $300 is going to cover much more than 12 x $300).

If you are very lucky, you might get the festival people to agree to provide this extra race coverage, but be sure to read the fine print to make sure they aren't just getting insurance to cover themselves in case of a law suit - and leaving the racers exososed. That has happened and it's often the local festival boards who are the worst culprits of this. But you can't really blame them - they're working within a budget too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badaction
    My point is, have a SS Race the same place, every year, get buddy buddy with the local city people and make it a part of the event thats being held that day. set up maybe 6 races a season in different places and run em. nascar doesnt worry about where F1 is running on that day, why should SS NEED to run with the tunnels?
    Jim

Excellent point about "same place every year". That's key to bringing back "loyal" fans, which is what will spell your survival.

But the reason SS has to run with other classes is due to cost for a day of racing. Insurance for a boat race is very spendy, (you have to have liability coverage for your spectators as well as your racers) as well as hiring EMTs to be on site and buying the race equipment (flags/timers/radios) and covering the expenses of your officials (which is often all they ask). 12 entry fees won't even come close to the many thousands of dollars needed for a day of racing.

So that's why you see 3 or 4 classes at each race - with the hope of getting 50 or more entries (50 x $300 is going to cover much more than 12 x $300). And usually a region club is used, because they already have the equipment available.

If you are very lucky, you might get the festival people to agree to provide this extra race coverage, but be sure to read the fine print to make sure they aren't just getting insurance to cover themselves in case of a law suit - and leaving the racers exososed. That has happened and it's often the local festival boards who are the worst culprits of this. But you can't really blame them - they're working within a budget too.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To the point,

1 bad action is saying he is interested, I am as well. If Florida could not support a one class circuit I would be very suprised and dissapointed. If you knew that 6-8 supersports would be running I can't imagine that most boat races wouldn't want you to show up (as a special event if nothing else) Look at what SLTs at the FBI races for instance.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bttt

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...the new suzuki 150 h.p. four stroke, and mercury 150 verado, along with the honda 150 and yamaha's 150 four-stroke are also included on the list of legal
    engines allowed in the OPC super-sport class...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Danny..................83 MPH MAX

Do me a favor.....Open Super Sport to Outboard Nostalgia Rules...

83 MPh
    Exceed 83.9, one lap penalty
    Exceed 85.9 kicked out for the weekend...

Turst me, Danny, this IS THE WAY THE SPORT IS GOING!

It is called BRACKET RACING IN DRAGS.........

Here is a picture of Chad, 83 MPH for 300 miles...Copied from Poweboat Magazine 2007)...

Trust me, Danny, no one loves MOD VP more than me. Chad doesn't want to go more than 83 in this MOD VP....

Don't forget, NOISE was one of your plans when we STARTED Super SPORT.....Take NOISE away from NASCAR and you have lost a MAJOR COMPONENT of the show....

Super Sport is a DEAD ISSUE, listen to Ron Hill!!!!

One Rule: 83 MPH Maximum!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ron !!!
    Happy New Year to you and your family... hope all is well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Know How....

Do you know how the speed limit works??? I'll admit, it took me three years to understand it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Has a gps ever screwd up during a race and the driver was disqualifed?
    I have seen gps's give false reading twice. Once when I was testing my marathon boat at Mendota. The water was flat & stickey, got a gps reading of 68mph when I was really going about 54 mph. Another was at an antique meet with a BU reading that was at least 5 fast. Then there is the famous 92 mph Rotax 250ccH at Cullaby Lake.
    I think my false reading was do to turns or bouncing. Vintage Jersey Speed Skiffs also use a GPS with a 60mph speed limit. I think with them there would more of a chance for a false reading.

Darrell

Post Thanks / Like

Darrell brings up a good point. A couple of years ago I was helping
    David Weaver test is 250CCH @ Depue, and he came in with a top speed in the 168mph range.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CSR4C View Post
    Ron,
    Has a gps ever screwd up during a race and the driver was disqualifed?
    I have seen gps's give false reading twice. Once when I was testing my marathon boat at Mendota. The water was flat & stickey, got a gps reading of 68mph when I was really going about 54 mph. Another was at an antique meet with a BU reading that was at least 5 fast. Then there is the famous 92 mph Rotax 250ccH at Cullaby Lake.
    I think my false reading was do to turns or bouncing. Vintage Jersey Speed Skiffs also use a GPS with a 60mph speed limit. I think with them there would more of a chance for a false reading.

Darrell

Thread Information