Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What The (boat-racing) World Needs Now...

Post Thanks / Like

Default 168 Would Get You Dq'd For The Weekend

Generally, and I'll admit, being as smart as I am, there is a lot I don't know.....

Nostalgia Rules go as follows, I think:

1. 80 MPG speed limit
    2. 80.9 is allowed with no penalty
    3. Over 80.9 one lap penalty
    4. Over 85, you are out for the weekend....So, 168 MPH 350 would be out for the weekend...As the Nostalgia racers don't want guys testing their Super Stocks during a Nostalgia race.....

I have nort heard of strange speeds, but then again, these are bigger, heavier boats than A-350 boats. I don't know if the smoother ride produces and accurate speed, I notice that my cell phone will drop a call on rough road, befor it will drop a call in the mountains.

What I have OBSERVED is guys show their GPS to the SCRUTINEER, and they accpet what he reads. GPS Germin have a time clock that can be checked with race time, if needed.

I have observed more complaining abut jumped guns (Regular classes) than any DQ/Penalty in Nostalgia.

As Al Stoker and I were talking, today, it could be that the people racing "BRACKETS" (Nostalgia) realize they are there for the fun...they know, too, they ain't the "SHOW"...They are there for FUN, FRIENDS and FAMILY.

Post Thanks / Like

My 10 year old (named Parker) came up with a solution to the speed limit problem - he says that each boat needs to be towing a motorless hull behind it! Now THAT would be fun to watch, wouldn't it?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Duh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK View Post
    My 10 year old (named Parker) came up with a solution to the speed limit problem - he says that each boat needs to be towing a motorless hull behind it! Now THAT would be fun to watch, wouldn't it?
    Isn't that what 8 car people do , after seeing a couple of those i'm glad i'm not in that trailer car. HEH HEH.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Val...
    Jeff (a.k.a. "Hollywood") Pira had a similar idea of us towing skiers...
    I hope to see you and your family this year!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy Ron,
    It sounds like a Super-Sport boat will meet the rules for your speed-limited
    nostalgia class as you have described it... good work!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The use of a gps device to authenticate speed.

When I first started the nostalgia classes through SCSC, Pirmarily Ross Wallach, we tried timed laps to check speed. It did not work out very well. I tried a radar gun and it was cumbersome and worked only on one boat at a time. Brad Stillman and I came up with the idea of using a hand held gps unit. We also belived that we should use one particular brand, "garman". We originally tried a speed limit of 70-75 mph. in the early years and arrived at a maximum speed of 80 mph. using the gps units. We knew there might be variations between the units and mandated, by gps, a speed of 80.9 mph. If the racer went over the 80.9 mph, and was less than 85 mph. he was penalized one lap. If he went over that, he was penalized for the weekend and asked to race in another class. So far, the gps has worked great. The competition was fierce and there was very little grumbling. The primary consideration has always been safety, and a secondary one of enjoying the sport. The Nostalgia classes are growing at each race site. It's fun, affordable for the guy with a thin wallet, competitive with the big wallet, and"relatively safer" than the other classes. Be safe and have fun. Father Nostalgia
    Last edited by Father Nostalgia; 01-07-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a schedule of races for 2007?

thx.sid

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Father Nostalgia, boats that consistantly run just under the 80.9 mph speed
    would do ok then, sounds good. Sid, I don't have the 2007 schedule but the
    APBA website has many regions schedules listed...thanks

Thread Information