Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Fast Fred's Secrets of the OMC MOD50's Thread #1

kraazyboat

Default Nice Tim

Can we see rest of boat?? Dave

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild ride

This is my Ropp FE hydro, normally quite stable at 100......... The beast I built last winter is 8# lighter and much more powerful. In this image, I'm loafing by at 75-80 mph. It's a wonderful ride, only limited by the driver!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Just floating along aired out!

Tim:

Looks like your just out for a Sunday drive, sitting comfortable floating it all just off the water nicely.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday drive?

While cruising the lake at 60, there are occasional challenges which are quickly dispatched. Here's a shot with the hammer down. Do you like the roostertail?

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default F E

[QUOTE=Tim Kurcz;66257]This is my Ropp FE hydro, normally quite stable at 100......... The beast I built last winter is 8# lighter and much more powerful. In this image, I'm loafing by at 75-80 mph. It's a wonderful ride, only limited by the driver!

Tim............................................... .................................................. ...............................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................
    What kind of tower housing are you using ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom tower

It's a custom tower I built that uses internal exhaust; it's quiet enough to run around the lake with no noise complaints. It accomodates the 45SS gearcase and 49 inch powerhead. The casting is sectioned from a V-6 OMC.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom tower

This would have made the OMC factory engineers proud, & maybe jealous ?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Very sturdy looking!

Tim:

Its nice to be able to create the stuff the way you do, but how do you sleep at night as there must be blinken lights constantly. LOL! Great to have a machine shop at your disposal too boot.

The only thing that had 3 cylinders that ever howled high rpms around here outside of those Merc and Mariner 2 carb 3 banger direct charge hernias that basically gowled was a restored Crescent 500 Super C with its internal megaphone stack and it was interesting but nothing like a dry stacked Quincy or Mod Merc. Now there is a Crescent Toronado 3 cylinder here going the same restoration route sitting on top of a O'Dea tower casting, Merc clamps and Crescent gearcase with the same bolt up to Crescent type internal stack. With the bigger bore, maybe bigger stack and bigger noise? Funny thing when some one ID'd the engine for me some one else said that when its done I should leave it at home! Do you know anything about these as I understand they were tunnel boat engines over in Europe and my exposure to them has been nil?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dreaming of engines

You're right about creating in my sleep and building overnight. Many times my best ideas come just that way. Also do solutions to the most difficult engineering problems. Thanks all for the kudos on the tower and engine. This one took about 80 engineering hours and another 80 to build. Yep, alot of time, but the results speak for themselves.

As you point out access to a machine shop helps. More important in my case was the 15 years spent as apprentice under Bud Parker. A great stash of 2-stroke engineering manuals and a few buddies in the marine business help solve the greatest challenge to all racers: Parts!

Like the old Mercury slogan: The race never stops!

Post Thanks / Like

As one of those factory engineers, especially the one that designed the 45 race conversion parts, it is cool to see what can become of your work.

How many hours on the lower unit? We used the old Harrison 1:1 gears in it because their was not enough budget to start from ground zero.

That 3 cylinder is going to put quite a bit more torque through the unit than the 45 motor or the Harrison stuff ever did, I would keep an eye on it.

Thread Information