Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Fast Fred's Secrets of the OMC MOD50's Thread #1

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the only notes i could find on Mod50 fuel pressure was 3-5psi, 80gph min.

the 80gals per hour is the minimum.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Too many subjects!

Let me answer a few Q's:

1) 3-1/2 psi regulated with a bypass is best.
    2) The standard pump does not deliver enough to fuel at 8500. I size up my competition by observing fuel systems. If their engine survives on one pump, I know they don't make anywhere near the power I do.
    3) OMC makes an excellent suction and pressure pump package. Check the 35HP triple parts catalog for numbners.
    4) I'm a factory trained Merc mechanic (from the 70's) and agree the worst engine they ever built was the two-carb triple.
    5) OMC cooling systems were designed for thermostats and quick warm up for driveability in fishing engines. Removing the stat and reversing water flow can improve critical cylinder cooling near exhaust ports.
    6) Very cool European F-3's with the reversed exhaust. Quiz: 10 points to the person that explains why this was done (I know the answer).
    7) Engineered/built properly, this 40 year old design will produce 2 hp / cu in!.

Good luck.

PS Hint on fueling: Brake fuel specific is about .45 lbs/hr/HP. Do the math on fuel flow.
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 01-14-2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Post Thanks / Like

Default European F-3

Tim, how did you get Paul Kalb to tell you about the European f -3 just kidding. Paul had a lot to do with that motor as i remember.He was a friend of mine for along time, i spent a few nights with him at his house before he went to Europe. He gave me a lot of good info. I knew Bud Parker for many years also, you had a good mentor, saw him last at Cresent City Fla. in 2000.Bud once told me you work on the motor to get the last H.P.work on the boat to get the last mph an when you get to the race it's too rough to hold it wide open anyway. The EX. is reversed on the E.F-3 because Paul wanted it that way an Jack Leek wanted it another way, they did not see eye to eye.Do i get the 10 points lol. I think this was done so they could counter rotate the engine in Europe due to gravity difference from the U.S.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Counter rotation?

Hi Danny,

If you had said exhaust anti-rotation for use down under, I might have given you the prize LOL, but no cigar........ Please try again!

It's nice to hear you knew Bud. What he told you was true: I didn't have the driving skills to beat the VanOvers, Withams, Robbs and other "big shoes" of the day. The only way to beat them was on raw power. Bud and I improved the "underdog" 45SS with its "huge" gearcase. Combined with a 12' Ropp hydro (The Pink), the rig proved almost unbeatable in 1991. The tricks he taught me were/are indispensable. I do my best to transfer the knowledge to any/all who listen. Just like you, the sport is in my blood.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down Under...

You'd want the exhaust pointing up, down under, right???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc-3

Many years ago i was told that the OMC 3 cylinder design was started at Mercury,the engineer that designed it was fired an went to work for OMC an carryed his design with him. It became the OMC 3 cylinder.Anybody know about this, was it true or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    Many years ago i was told that the OMC 3 cylinder design was started at Mercury,the engineer that designed it was fired an went to work for OMC an carryed his design with him. It became the OMC 3 cylinder.Anybody know about this, was it true or not.
    That is probably a reference to Charlie Strang
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Im not gonna get in it for points.....

lets just say its for the same reason that certain mod 50s were run reverse rotation, if i remember corectly

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll Make Some Guess, Too!

I recently appropriated several OMC propellers, and they appear to be MERCURY PROPELLERS with OMC bushings....I'd guess OMC went to left hand because these Mercury wheels were very good and they could buy, one or two at a time or as needed....

I know Bobby Herring was a big one to like the left hand rotation as he believed the boats turned better with left hand rotation...

What years are we talking here???

As I do know that when Fred Hauenstein went to work for Mercury, Gary Garbrecht purchased every piece of my Evinrude equipment at a MORE THAN FAIR PRICE (My stuff was triple CCC V-6)... Fred started at Mercury in the fall of 1978 or spring of 1979! I as told at the time, so Mercury would not have a problem with Fred hauenstein working for them...That any secrets he might have had, they purchased from MY motors...which just happened to come from Freddy Hauenstein!

Rumors that I heard, was that Fred had designed OMC's 2.0 liter before he left OMC, but never heard anything about the three cylinders race motors.

I sold OMC, Europe, MOD 50 props, 10 at a time and they were reworked Mercs, but right hand 10 X 15...or so...

Note OMC prop bushing in Merc prop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc-3

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    That is probably a reference to Charlie Strang
    You are right Sam, Charlie Strang was who i was talking about.

Thread Information