Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Fast Fred's Secrets of the OMC MOD50's Thread #1

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default He left his revenge back at Mercury!!!!!!!

If that story was true then he left behind his revenge in the form of the 2 carb 3 Holer semi-deflector Mercs and Mariners that caused so much heartburn!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More FE ideas

Do you mean exhaust like this for down under?

Still no takers on the reverse exhaust? BTW; the engine turns clockwise as viewed from the top, same as all the other.

About RH -vs- LH props. A trick question for the group: Does a RH prop help or hurt progress around a LH race course?

Answer to the fuel question: .45 lb/hr/hp X 95 hp = 42.75 lb/hr / 6.0 lb/gal = 7.125 gal/hr X 1.25 for rich cooling effect = 8.9 gal/hr. So how much pump delivery do you need?

Tim

PS Note the tandem pumps.......
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 01-14-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim you have some neat looking stuff.. are the rubber hose snorkels to stop water getting in? or? only reason i ask.. im not 100% sure but is there something about the intake length has to match exhaust or portion there of?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Interesting engines and setups.

Tim:

Thanks for this information and pictures. Dual pumps well put. I have an abundance of the older pumps too, are the pressure and flow on those older ones which I use to fuel Anzani engines and now some Mercs too comparable to the mounted OMC pumps in your picture?

The exhaust zoomy off the top and the dump out the bottom of the 2 different engines much different in performance?

I get a kick out of the skegless gearcase and then the large fin off the left afterplane of the raceboat. I have bottom skegless gearcases but my present understanding of them purely was for kilo and mile speed runs trials. Is that the same for the pictures or is that the way the raceboat runs as a Super E oval track boat with the skegless engine?

Neat stuff!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tim, supplementary question? Bent add-on intake stacks

The engine being reed valve induction and all do the add-on plastic bent carb opening stacks to avoid water ingestion any liability to the carbs and engine due to the bend involved tampering with the direction and other dynamics of the airflow?

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the 2 pump set up a few years back but had issues with fuel eating the diaphrams.i ended up going electric and after that no more melted pistons wich is nice.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Diaphrams being eaten?

How long are the diaphrams lasting with the present gasoline your using? What kind of gasoline in terms of brands, octanes etc? Would running aviation gasoline resolve the problem?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

reg rotation, the cyl gets a better seal on the power stroke, the Moda makes 10-12 more hp than the port side exhaust case.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winner!

Fast Fred takes the points. Torque side piston rock with the port side exhaust allows exhaust gas to blow by the ring. Exhausting on the starboard side eliminates that problem........ Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK! More to explain to me!!!

Does this rotation "THING" have anything to do with Merc's racing V-6 running in reverse (left hand)? Or does this only apply to these three cylinder OMC. Please should some pictures.. I think I understand what you wrote, but it doesn't compute in my head...

Thread Information