Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Fast Fred's Secrets of the OMC MOD50's Thread #1

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods ?

Are you talkin' about the old CROSS flow 40 horse motor ? With the single carb ? this is question from #530
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 02-01-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: elaborating

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thare should be a shot of them rods on hear, around page 10 or 15,?, not sure .

to run a longer rod within the deck height of a shorter rod, the wrist pin location gots to be moved up.

more important, talked to a Dude that worked at OMC back in the Day, said the long rods did not help the 56er.

so.....maybe, thinkin some thin like this

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the Bullet on the right is out of stock Stinger, the one on the left is about .400 thou bigger, which makes it about .200 thou bigger than a .040 over 56er piston, note the same rod

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

them rods
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Them Rods

are stock Mod 50 rods which as someone else here pointed out are nothing but old 40hp rods with the wrist pin end opened up for the bigger wrist pin.

When guys were making what they called "long rod" motors they were taking and putting merc rods and some piston which one I don't remember right now in a 56in. block.

The motor I was talking about I saw for sale was a complete orange engine that had 2bbls on it with an adaptor plate, it was down under.

The center section I showed is an OE, the predassor to the Mod 50, they were made to run overseas with crossflow racing GC, the boss on the side was for a shift linkage. Then the FT powerhead had a boss on the front for a shift linkage that was never used.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

is that a one to one, i'm not seein the linkage set up

Post Thanks / Like

yes that is a 1 to 1, the shift linkage goes in the boss on the side of the exhaust housing, looks like the shift linkage from a 58' 40hp evinrude

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nause

Quote Originally Posted by Sam La Banco View Post
    What's different about it???
    The Harold Nause crank, had highly mod. counter balances. Some people like them some didn't. He also had rods an pistons to go with them. Harold worked at OMC with Don Hendrich(sp). In the late 70's to mid 80's Southern Outboard Racing Asso. put on races in SC. NC. an GA. They paided good money an had 12 boat races in almost all classes. Motors were stock appearing an no mod 50 parts in the 75 class. Sam i saw you at Raleigh, i was sitting with Steve Dillard you were at the same table. I helped get Steve going in racing along time ago, 25 MOD.Hydro. I also remember your Hot Rod days an your pipes.

Post Thanks / Like

well i started to think of what to build for next season and this is what i came up with: so i have the long rods, i have the mcdaniels mod50 pistons, i have the port map and a standard unmessed with 75hp hustler. then i thought what will go on the front?

and then i have this heres a sneak peak.... (yes looking through hustler bore)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

loose the stacks, with the 31m or straight in front 1/2, thinkin that 25hr life span becomes vary real cuzz of the castin liner.

put a crank in them cases and torque them to spec, check the spin of the crank, make sure the line bore works for them.

seems i gots all them same parts

Thread Information