Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fred H Sr passed Jan 1 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred H Sr passed Jan 1 2006

Just read this on Hydroracer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Warnock
    a note from Ziggy Boettle that Fred Hauenstein SR passed on today AM, 2 days short of his 92nd Birthday.
    My condolences to the Hauenstein family and friends
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

oldalkydriver

Default Fred H Sr passed Jan 1 2006

I find it very difficult to express my feelings for Fred Sr., as I only remember him from my younger years. At least I was able to visit with him (first time in 35 years) March of 2003 (not sure of year) at Bakersfield. He still seemed very sharp then.

Even though I didn't see him or his family for many years, I often thought of them and the rest of the racing crew that have long since departed.

My sincere thoughts and prayers go out to the Hauenstein family.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred Hauenstein, Sr.

Fred W. Hauenstein

January 3, 1914 – January 1, 2006

Frederick William Hauenstein was born in Denver, Colorado on January 3, 1914, the only child of Frederick and Mary (Kouns) Hauenstein. In 1922 the family settled in the Exeter, California area where Fred, Sr. grew grapes. Fred attended schools in Exeter, graduating from Exeter High School where he was active in all sports and social affairs. He studied divinity and law at the University of Missouri in Columbia, MO, where he was a star on the university track team. (He ran a best of 9.7 seconds in the 100-yard dash!)
    Returning to California, he worked on the family farm and, assisted by his father, became interested in outboard powerboat racing in 1939 – a hobby that he passed down to his sons and grandsons. Also through his father, Fred acquired a love of hunting and deep-sea fishing. He spent much time on the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of California.
    Raised in an era that saw the rapid development of the automobile, Fred gained a life-long appreciation for cars, both old and new. He collected some great examples of older cars in later years and enjoyed working with them.
    Fred married Frances Coffee in 1941 and they have enjoyed 64 years of married life together. They lived in Southern California during WW-II and worked for Lockheed Aircraft in the war effort.
    Returning to the San Joaquin Valley, Fred became a Teamster and drove over-the-road trucks, as well as distributing gasoline and diesel fuel with his own tank truck. The couple started a truck stop and opened for business in Kingsburg in 1953. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café became a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99.
    In 1956 Fred returned to his boat racing hobby. In 1957 and 1958 he won the American Power Boat Association national amateur high point championship (the Paul Sawyer Medal).
    By the 1960s he was involved in his life-long dream of flying through the sport of soaring. He decided to take up powered flight and eventually owned several airplanes, culminating in a project in which he built his own aerobatic airplane (partly at home, in the dining room!). He became proficient at aerobatics, as well. For a time he did part-time work as a sheriff’s deputy, transporting prisoners by airplane between state and county facilities in California.
    Fred was a member of the Quiet Birdmen, the American Power Boat Association, Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Kiwanis Club, the Rotary Club, the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Horseless Carriage Club of America, the Antique Outboard Motor Club, the Soaring Society of America, the Experimental Aircraft Association and was a charter member of the Kingsburg Golf and Country Club.
    Mr. Hauenstein is survived by his wife, Frances; two sons, Fred M. (Linda Scheline) Hauenstein of Oshkosh, WI, Don Hauenstein of Seward, AK and daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein of Weatherford, TX; Grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein of San Carlos, CA, Mike (Kate) Hauenstein of New Haven, CT, Hilary (Brad) Carpenter of Gilbert, AZ, Raina Hauenstein, USAF, Ira Hauenstein of Seneca, MO, Casandra King of San Luis Obispo, CA, Jack Hauenstein of Seward, AK, and five great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one son, James F. Hauenstein; and a granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.
    A memorial service will be held at the Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln Street, Kingsburg, CA, 93631, (corner of Lincoln and Draper) at 10 am Saturday, January 7, 2006.
    In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations in his memory be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.

Hi Ron:

There will be a memorial service Saturday, January 7, at 10 am in the
    Evangelical Covenant Church in Kingsburg, CA, at 1490 Lincoln Street
    (corner of Lincoln and Draper). More later. I will try to let people
    know, but if you can, spread the word. In lieu of flowers, a donation in
    his memory to the charity of the donor's choice is appreciated. I am
    attaching the "notice."

Fred

Thread Information