Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need more spd

Tomtall

Arrow Jack Plate

And don't forget if your motor is remoted back much with a jack plate your steering cables may be to short. Kill two birds with one stone and get a duel cable steering kit with the proper lenghth cable to go with your set back. Had a good friend with a Glastron v-16 with 115 inline. Boat ran 55mph. We install a manual jack plate with 10" of remote and transom mounted low water p/u, installed a chopper prop and ran 68 mph.
    He was

Post Thanks / Like

Default 85hp

Yea I set it up to look like a 67, 650ss....we have a new set of rent@cops and DNR on this lake.........what a pain. the boat is rated at 55 hp? and they like to show how smart they are.
    If you look close youl see the lack of the chrome mohawk on top and the upper an lower pans have no 1" chrome stripe, I added a chrome pin stripe to the wrap and the lower bolt cover is also a 66 peice.and the face is a 68...lol
    I picked up a set of solid mounts and a fuel cell. And plan to get at it this spring. I have only had it wet about 6 times..lol the first time the steering was backasswards, yes I got the steering off a left steer boat..Ha Ha Ha
    what a ride that was........
    I'll post a pic of my other lil boat,You guys might like it a little better anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you are doing great with what you are running. If the chine walk goes away when you are low on fuel, I agree that you probably can improve the balance. Have you tried more setback?

I had a new G3 , a 61 model I believe and I ran Merc 700 and 800's on it. If yours was a early model with the center deck like mine you would probably be getting close to that 55 mph if you ran it from the back. I found mine always ran best in the 5th tilt pin hole even when driving from the back. I can't remember just how high I was running the motor but I was using a stock 2 blade bronze prop with lots of cup and it was hard to get on plane. I had to bounce it three or four times to finally get it on plane. When running it from the back I had the chine walk problem also but if I put the windsheld back on the the problem went away but with the loss of about 1mph. I finally tied a bungee cord to the lift handle on the back of the motor and stretched it over to a eye bolt on the left side of the transom. Although this was very unsafe it did take all the slop out of the steering and stopped the chine walk with out the windshield.

You have a real fun boat and I am envious. How does the wooden boat run?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default slappy

the wood boat is....well its a freek ride at this time, it has a porpoise problem
    that needs fixed....lol, we call her slappy.. I didnt build her and hope to flip her this summer and work on the hull, I will be on here askin questions on just how to fix this after I get it un rigged and bottom side up, I spread some bondo on the last 2" about 1/2 thick and it settled down but its tempory at best, I took it out last mounth and got the gps out and hit the gas and got a mile away from the ramp and she quit...I paddled 2 hrs into the wind...etc.
    ...yes when I got home she started right up.......merc's....lol
    Is there a spd type lower for this ol 500?

Post Thanks / Like

There is, but it will only work on very light boats (400 pounds total rig weight including driver).
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy
    the wood boat is....well its a freek ride at this time, it has a porpoise problem
    that needs fixed....lol, we call her slappy.. I didnt build her and hope to flip her this summer and work on the hull, I will be on here askin questions on just how to fix this after I get it un rigged and bottom side up, I spread some bondo on the last 2" about 1/2 thick and it settled down but its tempory at best, I took it out last mounth and got the gps out and hit the gas and got a mile away from the ramp and she quit...I paddled 2 hrs into the wind...etc.
    ...yes when I got home she started right up.......merc's....lol
    Is there a spd type lower for this ol 500?
    I like your new Avatar. This is drifting away from G3 but I have a 1961 75 Scott also. If you are going to run this motor there is something I learned that you may not know and that is that the steering yoke that you attach the steering cables to can break. Mine did and I know of one other one that did also.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Tom

Not alot of scott fans out there anymore, I have 3 complete runners and several in(parts) cond. I have 2 that take a steering cable so I wont have to use the cloths line type steering, I have 2 more G3's and plan on rigging one or more on them. I have been looking for a racing lower for years to install but I have only seen one for sale and I was out bid -ebay-.
    I think they look the best on the ol G3,style wize.
    If there was a class to run this boat I would be the 1st in line to GO!
    But there is very little racing around here, and from what I have seen It is not possible to race this type boat anywhere!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy
    Not alot of scott fans out there anymore, I have 3 complete runners and several in(parts) cond. I have 2 that take a steering cable so I wont have to use the cloths line type steering, I have 2 more G3's and plan on rigging one or more on them. I have been looking for a racing lower for years to install but I have only seen one for sale and I was out bid -ebay-.
    I think they look the best on the ol G3,style wize.
    If there was a class to run this boat I would be the 1st in line to GO!
    But there is very little racing around here, and from what I have seen It is not possible to race this type boat anywhere!
    That picture of your motors and boats made me feel young again!

The steering breakage that I spoke of happened during circle course racing on rough water so normal pleasure boat usage should be ok.

I agree that the G3 looks great with a Scott. When I had my G3 the only class that I could race in was unlimited 1 as it was too short. The 100 hp motors were out by that time and I traded my G3 and Merc 700 for a Merc 1000 and went to a wood boat.

I can not remember the name but there is a fellow that posts on Scream and Fly about his father's G3s. He might remember some of the secrets of a few more mph.

Tom

Thread Information