Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butch Peterson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Butch Peterson

Chuck Sterns and I lived in Bellflower...Chuck, probably was the greatest water ski racer in the WORLD...Long before the Australian Style of holding the rope, Chuck used arms in front, pure MUSCLE to Ski Race.....

Butch Peterson was a MUSCLE SKI RACER...He was training for the Olympic in BICYCLE RACING when a car backed out of a driveway and Butch hit the car. To my knowledge, Butch never recovered to normal....

Pictures from Powerboat, November 1968...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-11-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a Catalina Channel Ski race that Butch and Chuck were neck and
    neck as they came thru the break water into the smoother water of the
    LA harbor, and the boat drivers both kept changing the lead as each would
    push faster and faster with both skiers ready to fall at any moment from
    fatigue after 50 miles of open ocean skiing.. As they made the turn past the
    old restaurant that used to be on what was the point just past where the
    Queen Mary is today both boats were at full speed heading for the finish
    line at Golden Ave. Chuck's boat was slightly faster and pulled
    ahead for the win..... I also remember the two of them were always the
    fastest at the ski drag racing at Marine Stadium... with each trading off
    new speed records from run to run... Both were amazing athletes to
    watch..
    Danny Leger

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boating News, July 1964

I never knew Butch drove boats, thought he only skied...

skiing Parker since 1960 Skyskier's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This photo was taken in 1961, I was 14 yrs. old and had won the men's open race at Parker. Butch walked down to our pit to congratulate me on the "win".
    I'm the skinny little kid in the pic Butch was a class act probably the best all around waterskier I ever knew, could do it all, trick, jump, slalom and speed, him and Chuck were competeing against one another in tournament events as kids in the jr. boy's division back in the '50's

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember seeing pictures of Butch behind an SS or SK boat or some such boat speed skiing. One picture in particular that I can see clearly was of him with every muscle straining and being pulled somewhere around 120 mph. Even if most people could get up to that speed, I don't think they could hold it long. Butch's training and endurance put him at the top. It looked like a tremendous strain to balance the pull of the boat against the friction of the water. That must have been something to meet him. Especially after a win at Parker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I can remember seeing pictures of Butch behind an SS or SK boat or some such boat speed skiing. One picture in particular that I can see clearly was of him with every muscle straining and being pulled somewhere around 120 mph. Even if most people could get up to that speed, I don't think they could hold it long. Butch's training and endurance put him at the top. It looked like a tremendous strain to balance the pull of the boat against the friction of the water. That must have been something to meet him. Especially after a win at Parker.
    Butch skied ( in my day's ) behind an 18 ft Mandella, named " Kini Po Po Lua ", Bruce Izatt sr. drove for him............I think Butch drove one of Lou Brummet's rigs in the enduro's at Salton City & Parker 9 hr. enduro's. I learned a lot of my "tricks" on trick ski's from Butch,...........while he was riding a standard slalom ski many a time we'd finish racing and then go out an play ski

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was racing Ski in Miami in the mid sixty's Lou Brummett and Peterson were parked next to us in the pits. I believe Butch Peterson just had broken a leg in a ski event. Both were nice people, boy that's years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    was it maybe this one ?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one of Chuck making a pass at LBMS

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kini po po lua

Quote Originally Posted by Skyskier View Post
    Butch skied ( in my day's ) behind an 18 ft Mandella, named " Kini Po Po Lua ", Bruce Izatt sr. drove for him............I think Butch drove one of Lou Brummet's rigs in the enduro's at Salton City & Parker 9 hr. enduro's. I learned a lot of my "tricks" on trick ski's from Butch,...........while he was riding a standard slalom ski many a time we'd finish racing and then go out an play ski
    Shortly after my uncle bought the Mandella Boat Co in 1956, from Joe Mandellas' widow Mary, we rebuilt the KINI PO PO in 1957. It was one of Joe Mandellas boats. We had to replace the engine stringers and the bottom frames.
    HARLAN ORRIN

Thread Information