Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Salt Water Racing, EORC

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt Water Racing, EORC

I started boat racing on Long Island salt water back in the 1960's. The Eastern Outboard Racing Club use to run 10-11 races each season. I found some of these old pictures form 1968. The first one is of Doug Bindrim at "Little Joe's Fishing Station". The second is one of the clubs past President John Knable running in the 36 class. This was a very popular class back then. Anyone remember George Scudder in that class. He was a constant invader to the New England area in the 1960's. The third photo is of Jim Gohery's "F" runabout using a P500 pumper powerhead on a Merc D lowerunit. The other boat is Charles Stafeldt (Snooky) with his 500 Konig. I believe this was one of the first VC konigs to arrive in this country. It had the old muffler exhaust system on it. The club use to let Snooky run with out a deck rider (FRR) because of his weight. Again, this was in Salt Water!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 01-16-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Bob Rusnak

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 36 motor

I remember Scudder, He used to beat me in Frr up in Conn back in 1976. He was a very good driver. I think I had the slowest Frr boat in the world. But it was a old log that I used in the bay for fun.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up EORC memories & questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rusnak
    I started boat racing on Long Island salt water back in the 1960's. The Eastern Outboard Racing Club use to run 10-11 races each season. I found some of these old pictures form 1968. The first one is of Doug Bindrim at "Little Joe's Fishing Station". The second is one of the clubs past President John Knable running in the 36 class. This was a very popular class back then. Anyone remember George Scudder in that class. He was a constant invader to the New England area in the 1960's. The third photo is of Jim Gohery's "F" runabout using a P500 pumper powerhead on a Merc D lowerunit. The other boat is Charles Stafeldt (Snooky) with his 500 Konig. I believe this was one of the first VC konigs to arrive in this country. It had the old muffler exhaust system on it. The club use to let Snooky run with out a deck rider (FRR) because of his weight. Again, this was in Salt Water!
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for these photo's & story's, they brought back some old deep memories. I'm not sure exactly how I can still remember any of this stuff from that era (as I was at the most only 6 years old at the time), but what I do/can remember are alot of fun, great people & events.
    I doubt you remember me from that era, I'm Roy Conklin's son Guy.
    My father can't recall or shed any details about some of the memory's from races & EORC life (from the mid 60's) that I still have. So I hope that someone ELSE here may recall details, have pic's and/or answer some questions I have from that era.

1. Before we moved to Florida (in 1968, again I was only 6 years old at the time), I remember I used to love to watch Snooky race! Mostly because I remember him being such a LARGE man in such a small boat, but also because I remember him always having such a gentle and jovial demeanor.
    Last I saw Snooky was at a Lakeland race at least 15 years ago.
    Anyone know what he's upto these days?

2. I can remember Bill Fales Desilva CRR quite clearly for some reason. I think its because I always thought the font style of his Boat Number (N-77) was really kind of cool & unique.
    Did Bill Fales paint those numbers on himself?

3. I can remember someone owning a little dog named "Snoopy". I always loved to play with that dog.
    Who was it that owned "Snoopy"??!!

4. I recall a town/race course somewhere on L.I. that we used to race at alot. It had deep white sugar sand in the pits and a pretty neat old snackbar next to the pits that was partly built over the water. The snackbar had a screened-in dining room that faced the race course. I can remember my mom (Donna) & I eating cheeseburgers in there and watching dad race his CRR. Where (City) was this location?

5. I can recall Mom & Dad one year going to a BIG Halloween party at a EORC racers house in L.I. somewhere (I'm thinking it might have been Pete Helsten's house around 1966).
    I remember Dad's costume consisted of an old loong starter rope (which he had tied all sorts of tools & things along its length) and hung it around his neck. Then he had drew a big black "SOS" on the back of an old lifejacket & helmet he had.
    Mom's could have doubled for Sally Fields as she went as the "The Flying Nun" (I remember I kept asking her to flap her hat-wings and fly).
    Does anyone recall this party and where & when it occured (along with any stories from it)? My father doesn't recall it now, but I remember them talking about that party for many years afterward.

6. What is the latest with all the Gohery's? Last time I saw Jimmy & Renie, it was around 1992 at Jack Gosman's shop here in Florida.

Thanks,
    Guy Conklin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eorc

Quote Originally Posted by Guy
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for these photo's & story's, they brought back some old deep memories. I'm not sure exactly how I can still remember any of this stuff from that era (as I was at the most only 6 years old at the time), but what I do/can remember are alot of fun, great people & events.
    I doubt you remember me from that era, I'm Roy Conklin's son Guy.
    My father can't recall or shed any details about some of the memory's from races & EORC life (from the mid 60's) that I still have. So I hope that someone ELSE here may recall details, have pic's and/or answer some questions I have from that era.

1. Before we moved to Florida (in 1968, again I was only 6 years old at the time), I remember I used to love to watch Snooky race! Mostly because I remember him being such a LARGE man in such a small boat, but also because I remember him always having such a gentle and jovial demeanor.
    Last I saw Snooky was at a Lakeland race at least 15 years ago.
    Anyone know what he's upto these days?

2. I can remember Bill Fales Desilva CRR quite clearly for some reason. I think its because I always thought the font style of his Boat Number (N-77) was really kind of cool & unique.
    Did Bill Fales paint those numbers on himself?

3. I can remember someone owning a little dog named "Snoopy". I always loved to play with that dog.
    Who was it that owned "Snoopy"??!!

4. I recall a town/race course somewhere on L.I. that we used to race at alot. It had deep white sugar sand in the pits and a pretty neat old snackbar next to the pits that was partly built over the water. The snackbar had a screened-in dining room that faced the race course. I can remember my mom (Donna) & I eating cheeseburgers in there and watching dad race his CRR. Where (City) was this location?

5. I can recall Mom & Dad one year going to a BIG Halloween party at a EORC racers house in L.I. somewhere (I'm thinking it might have been Pete Helsten's house around 1966).
    I remember Dad's costume consisted of an old loong starter rope (which he had tied all sorts of tools & things along its length) and hung it around his neck. Then he had drew a big black "SOS" on the back of an old lifejacket & helmet he had.
    Mom's could have doubled for Sally Fields as she went as the "The Flying Nun" (I remember I kept asking her to flap her hat-wings and fly).
    Does anyone recall this party and where & when it occured (along with any stories from it)? My father doesn't recall it now, but I remember them talking about that party for many years afterward.

6. What is the latest with all the Gohery's? Last time I saw Jimmy & Renie, it was around 1992 at Jack Gosman's shop here in Florida.

Thanks,
    Guy Conklin
    Hi Guy, yes I remember you as a real little kid. Actually I think I saw you in Fl. in 1978 when we left out trailer at your house after Lakland and went to Disney for the week. Anyway I will try to answere your questions. First, your father ran a 44 CI Merc with open stacks in the club. Real loud. I have not seen Snooky in many years now but heard he is in real bad shape. I could be wong but was lead to believe he in in a nursing home or is going to one. Hope I am wrong, always like Snooky. Dick Scopinich did all the lettering on most of the Boats in the club. He did Bill Fales"s boat as with Jim Gohery's. Snoopy was a Basset Hound owned by Doug and Linda Bindrim. I usually see Doug once a year when he comes to L.I. for a party. They now live in NH. I believe the race site you are talking about was "Little Joe's Fishing Station" We ran there sometimes twice a season for many years,,, No more! As far a Jim Gohery, I see him once a year when we go Deer Hunting upstate NY. Jim is still Jim, no longer racing but still complaning. I am retired from racing but my son Don is running 500 Runabout with my oud Konig engine. He raced in the club using my 55H engine but now lives in Western Pa. He is now closer to boat racing and in Modified Country. I am building him a D Mod engine to run out there, keeps me involved. If you have any other questions reguarding the old racing days, let me know. Thanks for the reply, those old racing days are something we never forget...Bob Rusnak N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Thread Information