Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: corner judges

Post Thanks / Like

Default corner judges

i posted this on hydroracer too.
    How about some pros & cons here.
    Wireless cams have become CHEAP. What if we used helium balloons with a cam anchored to a bouy well inside of each corner. one or two people could watch the corners from an ovehead view. it could feed to a vcr or laptop and record the corners. lol i think it might be neccesary to record because i am sure more calls will be made due to the improved view of the corners.
    just a thought ( maybe to much time on my hands lol) what do you all think?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Before you go to all of that trouble, first you need to establish what the real results are that you are after. Just having a turn judge doesn't mean some "chuck you farley" meathead won't chop you in the first turn or any other place on the racecourse, if he or she so desires. Boat racing isn't golf.
    So if you really want to reduce this, then you have to start training ALL drivers in the rules. Most of the rules regarding overtaking a mark are written out in such a way that they do not make sense when you are actually behind the wheel.
    So that is the first thing -- make sure that everyone is knowledgeable about the rules and their interpretation. When was the last time that there was a rules test at a race, a regional meeting, or even at the national meeting? I am not suggesting a test to keep someone from racing, but rather to ensure that they understand what the rules are and how they are interpreted.
    What is the culture of club that you race with? Someone wrote that this is a family sport and that we need to keep each other safe. Great wisdom -- but is it a core value of your club? Do you practice it? Have you made it a part of your club's culture.
    Now with respect to your idea, have you actually done the research to see if the idea has merit? How big a helium ballon will be necessary to hold up this camera? How long will it last -- let's say in the summer time at 80 degrees? How good is the actual resolution of the camera? How well the equipment sustain a little water or being run over (those runabout drivers will do it ever turn :-))?
    Finally, how much will it cost? Remember that with costs you have the actual cost of components (cameras, balloons, and helium) plus the cost in manpower -- there is already a problem in getting volunteers at a race.
    best regards,
    f8

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default helium?

Seems that hot air ballons would be a whole lot cheaper.
    Is the problem that turn judges can't see or don't want to offend?
    Don't read to much about dqs just here b!!!!!!'.
    Richard

Thread Information