AmberMarine.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K boat news from HB

Team Member

Default K boat news from Hot Boat magazine forums

Today, 12:23 AM
    CircleJerk
    K-boat news!

This may be old news for some of you. BUT!!! It's official: K boats can run APBA! Rule change #3 Capsules are now (recommended) not required for Ks! Also recommended for PS,SS, & cracker box!
    If you have a reinforced cockpit or capsule a full time air system must be there, working!

This is not word for word but a general jErKs interpretation. (understandably confusing, but not entirely incorrect or misquoted)
    Taken from the APBA web site:

Capsules cant be justified when you consider accidents, more fatalities are found in PS, SS, SK, and GN classes so KRRs have a better safety record! Eight fatalities within these classes have resulted since 1976 to 2004.
    Further Facts: 1. SS and PS boats have run faster than Ks. 2. the length to power ration is higher in a Cracker Box. 3. IHBA presently has 11 Ks and APBA has 5. 4. cost to an inboard capsule is 10,000 as compared to 2-3,000 for a hydroplane. 5. You cant race with only 5 boats!

This should bring the Ks to Burley and many more race sites for 2006!

The BALL is in your court gentlemen! And the K427 is sold?! Let the celebration begin!
    Sincerely, jErKinHein

Today, 12:53 AM
    wrath of cron
    imagine that

I'm an east coastie so......will the powers that be reconsider the skiff cage rule????? 1) ps, ss, cracker, and about every racing class in apba has gone faster 2) power to length....right stock 305s in 16' bath tubs 3) in the HISTORY of skiffs Fred Holms is the only fatality 4) year before cage 25 (?) skiffs in valleyfield, since then there are not 25 in the nation. oh well just a late night fantisy
    wrath of cron

Today, 03:21 AM
    SGettmann

Any resources for learning about the differences between the various classes. What's the seperators between GNs, SS, PS, K's, etc. Thanks

I think understanding this will make my race weekend in Burley more enjoyable as a spectator and fan.

Thanks!

SGettmann

Today, 05:35 AM
    superdave013
    V Drive's for Life

looks like the APBA is after some of the IHBA pie. I will go out on a limb here and say that if it was not for the great IHBA K boat program the APBA would not have made that rule change.

What about the engines? I know the IHBA has cubic inch limits and the 8-71 @ so much over limit on alky. Are the APBA K's still going to be unlimited as far as engine size, blower size (& overdrive) and fuel?

Next question:
    Can Tony win high points in both IHBA and APBA K classes. lol you know he is gonna try.

BILLY.B

Today, 07:00 AM
    BILLY.B
    NKRA MEMBER
    quote:
    Originally Posted by CircleJerk
    This may be old news for some of you. BUT!!! It's official: K boats can run APBA! Rule change #3 Capsules are now (recommended) not required for Ks! Also recommended for PS,SS, & cracker box!
    If you have a reinforced cockpit or capsule a full time air system must be there, working!

This is not word for word but a general jErKs interpretation. (understandably confusing, but not entirely incorrect or misquoted)
    Taken from the APBA web site:
    !
    Sincerely, jErKinHein

Sounds like a Nascar statment. Nascar said the same thing about neck restraints until the Earnhardt incident at Datona. How many K's are back east?. Seeing as most of the APBA BIG EVENTS are back there maybe this will open the door to have more of them here....(NATIONALS). And if you really want to know the truth JeRkInHeIn the K's were pretty much a dead issue until the NKRA and all the talk on these forums came about. Just my .02. Hopefully this all works out for the best.

Today, 10:51 AM #9
    gnRacer98

Jerk,
    I think your a little ahead of yourself. What you read was a rule PROPOSAL. It won't be official until presented and voted on at the national meeting in Ft. Lauderdale, which isn't until next week.
    Anybody that wishes to see this rule had better be at the meeting, I'm pretty sure it'll be an uphill fight. It will likely be a Hydro vs Runabout deal and the Hydro guy's usually show up in big numbers.

gnRacer98

Today, 11:00 AM #10
    Moneypitt

Ks return!!!

I heard some scuttlebutt about this at the Parker race in Nov of last year. It was kinda in the works then, but there was engine and overdrive restrictions mentioned along with the proposal, simular to the revised GN rules pertaining to the blowers. I'm with GN98 here, a proposed rule change has a long way to go, and I kinda doubt the part about the SS and PS boats running faster than the Ks...................MP
    Last edited by Moneypit; 01-22-2006 at 06:05 AM.

Team Member

Default As proposed K rule change

From APBA inboard site..........

Note: The boats Duff drives ARE capsulated, both K and PS

Safety Equipment (Rule 3)
    Author: Duff Daily
    Effected Class: KRR
    Rule No. 3.17
    Page number of rule: 4

Effected Rule:
    Effective May 1, 2005, RESTRAINT CAPSULES are mandatory for all boats
    competing in the K Racing Runabout class. Restraint capsules are highly
    recommended for all boats competing in Pro Stock, Super Stock, and Cracker
    Box classes. A bottom hatch is not required for any type restraint capsule
    used in these classes.

Proposed Rule:
    Restraint capsules are highly recommended for all boats competing in the K
    Racing Runabout, Pro Stock, Super Stock, and Cracker Box classes. A bottom
    hatch is not required for any type restraint used in these classes.

Reason for Change:
    The rule as written hasn’t had the effect of large numbers of capsulized K
    boats. K boats still exist, but are racing with other organizations. K boats, at
    most races, turn lap times very similar to uncapsulized Pro Stocks and Super
    Stocks.
    The mandatory capsule requirement cannot be justified if you consider the
    that there have been more accidents, including fatalities, in the other flat bottom
    classes: PS, SS, SK, and GN classes. KRR’s have a better safety record
    than PS, SS, and GN.

Please read below:
    MAJOR K RACING RUNABOUT ACCIDENTS
    1985 ? Jay Ellington Burley, ID Leg laceration
    1990 Duff Daily Meridian, MS Torn quad muscle
    1996 Gordon Jennings, Jr. Tri Cities, WA Multiple serious injuries,
    mainly due to being a hemophiliac
    1996 Victor Roth Both ankles broken
    2000 Jim Clauss Ankle injury

MAJOR SS/SK/PS/GN ACCIDENTS INCLUDING FATALITIES
    1976 Dick Sutton SK Morgan City, LA Fatality
    1977 Terry Bilbrey SK Raleigh, NC Paralysis
    1979 Dickie Webb SS Western U.S. Fatality
    1981 Steve Jones SK Soap Lake WA, fatality
    1995 Tom Connant PS Parker, AZ Fatality
    2001 Brian Ohlis SS Raleigh, NC Loss of fingers
    2001 Mike Hoban GN Parker, AZ Fatality
    2001 Lance Faulkner GN Parker, AZ Fatality
    2001 Jessy Stieger SS Fatality
    2003 Bryan Bergeron SS Serious leg injury
    2003 Paul Brockhauser SS Fatality
    2004 Doug Jancura PS Western U.S. Fatality
    2004 Gus Shade PS Fatality

Other facts:
    1. COMPARABLE SPEEDS OF SS/PS/KRR: most races PS speeds are faster,
    and occasionally SS speeds are faster than K’s
    2. COMPARE LENGTH TO POWER RATIO OF CRACKER BOX (DOES
    NOT REQUIRE CELL): Cracker Box length minimum is 13’6" with 700 HP;
    K boat length is 18' with 1,200 HP
    3. IHBA at present time has 11 K Racing Runabout boats registered with the
    association because capsules are optional. APBA, on the other hand, has only
    5 registered KRR boats due to the mandatory restraint capsule.
    4. HYDRO CELLS = $2,000 - $3,000
    RUNABOUT CELLS = $10,000 and up
    5. Making the capsule mandatory on the K boats has caused a membership
    of less than 10 boats, which in turn, has put the K class on probation.

6. LIST OF RACE SITES THAT WANT THE KRR’S (at the time of this writing)
    BURLEY PARKER MORGAN CITY
    HAMPTON LONG BEACH FIREBIRD
    CAMBRIDGE TONAWANDA ROCKY FORK
    In order to have a better competition, you need more than a few boats.
    Last edited by Moneypit; 01-21-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Team Member

Default Nice try

Its not looking good, IRC said no 10-4, meeting starts Friday, but with the IRC already deciding, its very doubtful............MP

Default Ever Heard of AOF???

Sometimes I wonder why we try to work with APBA....DAMN, if the K guys want to race, why not let them RACE????

Do yo think APBA would OK Unlimited Trucks in OFFROAD RACING????

I'll answer that....NO!

Let's look at insurance...has a K boat evr caused a liabilty claim? NO, isa the answer... Well, pass a SIMPLE RULE that K Boat drivers are not covered by medical insurance...whicxh APBA's is secondary insurance anyway!!!!\

Bring on the Needles K Boat Racing Association!!!!!

Billy B and the Boys!!!!

Team Member

Default Needles race

And Ron, I thought you were working on a race for Needles, Ks and all. What happened? Did the plan go south with the bar?...........Ray

Default Plans On Hold...

Until I get my DIVORCE behind me, I have no plans to promote races....But still doing some homework with the NEEDLES CITY people.

Team Member

Default Ah..........

Ah.........OK, I can accept that....... ..........MP

Team Member

If I live to be a million years old, I`ll never figure Duff out! I saw Duff crash in a capsule KRR in Hampton Virginia several years back and he walked away with out a scratch. I`ve also seen him not walk away from a crash. Where`s Dr. Sigmund Freud when ya really need him?

The way that letter reads, with all the listed bad accidents in flatbottoms, well...it`s almost...kinda...sorta, in a round-about, and Freudian, way,.. saying that all flatbottoms should be capsuled!

Capsules ain`t perfect, by a long shot, but the mortality rate has indeed dropped since they were mandated with the OPC, inboard hydro, unlimited hydro, and alcohol and fuel drag boats.

Does a flatbottom capsule really cost $10,000+++!?!? If so,...why the #%@* why!?!?

Gordon Jennings is a hemophiliac? Anybody know if that`s an accurate statement?

Hemophilia is a condition, found in males, and related to genetics, in which the blood does not clot after being cut! Many years ago I had a neighbor that was a hemophiliac, and when he had to have tooth pulled he had to go a hospital to have it done! He never played any sports in his life, and had to always use a special razor, and toothbrush.

Oy Vey!, JH

Team Member

Default Wants to race

I think Duff just wants to race and the dwendling boat count in K class has him worried. Safety is foremost on his mind as demonstrated by his capsuled rides. The rule change doesn't look good, but we can hope..........MP

If you look at the OPC classes, over the long term, low boat counts really don't have anything to do with capsules.

I watched the non-capsuled Sport C and Mod C drop hundreds of racers from 1985 to 1995. There was no capsule mandate, yet numbers dropped like a rock. Same with a few other OPC classes. At that same time, SST45 was a capsule class and it prospered.

The count in numbers had more to do with how much racers got back (fun, reward, recognition, sponsor programs, promise of better safety, etc).

When capsules were first introduced in OPC tunnels, it was a true blessing. Four deaths in one year had caused many to call it quits. So in that case, capsules (though an added cost) actually saved OPC tunnel racing. I think the same is true for Unlimited Hydroplanes after they too experienced a wave of deaths. So capsules can also help increase participation.

But if a class is already struggling for other reasons, nothing will really make that much of a difference until those problems are resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information