Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Douglas Willey

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of photos of Douglas taken at the OD World Championships at Berlin in 1978. The race was on the Havel and swells were rolling in. Douglas was playing some game with a guy I didn't know. It was something to do with a ball on a chain that they had to grab. In this strip of photos I also included a photo of Dieter leaning against the ADAC trailer and Hans Lubnow talking to someone I don't know. Then I include a selfie of me and Hans Krage. See, selfies have been around forever. I used to do it sometimes because no one was around to take a picture of me to prove I was there.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Likes Lars Strom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is so simple now, I will start posting pictures again, and continue my story Baldy's.

Likes Lars Strom liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve - this must be the hat that Doug gave you ! Where is the rest of the boat ? Berlin 1986.Name:  1986 Steve Litzell.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  215.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is! Nice to hear from you Mike, Hope all is well across the pond and with the Queen. I think Ralph sold the boat with his a while back, but not sure or I don't recall fully. The age thing you know " Old Boy", Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of Douglas taken at the OD World Championships at Berlin in 1978. The race was on the Havel and swells were rolling in. Douglas was playing some game with a guy I didn't know. It was something to do with a ball on a chain that they had to grab. In this strip of photos I also included a photo of Dieter leaning against the ADAC trailer and Hans Lubnow talking to someone I don't know. Then I include a selfie of me and Hans Krage. See, selfies have been around forever. I used to do it sometimes because no one was around to take a picture of me to prove I was there.
    I believe the first picture is Chris Applebee with Douglas looking on.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Ralph, that is Chris. Been too long. I have another photo before that one with Chris swiping his hand at the ball and Douglas holding it. Can't really tell what it's all about because I was very close and you can't see Douglas' face, only his arm. Best I remember is that it was something to do with so fast you can't see it and my photo was out of focus even though I prefocused and thought I was ready. I backed up and captured both of them in my lens, but I did not get the photo of Douglas swiping at it. Maybe he was too fast.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are playing CONKERS !
    Conkers is a traditional children's game in Britain and Ireland played using the seeds of horse chestnut trees—the name 'conker' is also applied to the seed and to the tree itself. The game is played by two players, each with a conker threaded onto a piece of string: they take turns striking each other's conker until one breaks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And what two better kids could play this game than Chris and Douglas, eh old Boy? Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing some may not know abou Douglas, is he was a pretty good motor man and also always thinking. Some may not know this, but he had what I think was the first up down tower for Lamans type start that I have seen. I had one at one time but don’t know what happened to it now. It used a slave cylinder from a car and some valve springs to operate, and moved the tower up and down. Unlike the Soviet type which did not move up and down, it moved in and out and when turned it would lean the motor to the left. This was done on their Hydrocats that I saw many times.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he got the idea from his Citroen Steve. When I first met Douglas, we had some time and he told me to come on over to his car and get in. He and Chris drove to a port on the east coast of England with their boats, loaded onto a ferry and disembarked at some European port, then drove through East Germany into West Berlin. As I sat in his Citroen he raised it up, and then lowered it way down to the ground. Can't remember the exact amount of travel, but it was pretty significant. Never been in a car since that did that.

Thread Information